DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just cancelled my Dish Network account and the CSR that I spoke to informs me that I own all of my equipment. (Which came as a surprise to me... but whatever.)

Any ideas on what to do with the old recievers? I have the old 301 and also a DVR-510.

If they're not sellable/usable, is there a way to get the stuff off the DVR's hard drive?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,086 Posts
PezJunkie said:
I just cancelled my Dish Network account and the CSR that I spoke to informs me that I own all of my equipment. (Which came as a surprise to me... but whatever.)

Any ideas on what to do with the old recievers? I have the old 301 and also a DVR-510.

If they're not sellable/usable, is there a way to get the stuff off the DVR's hard drive?
Ebay them. Are you wanting archive what's on the HDD? If so just burn them to a DVD and delete them off the HDD.

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
DBSTalk has "Buy, Sell, Trade" forum HERE

·
AllStar
62 Posts
I took out the hard drive from an old 510 without the card, bought a USB hard drive enclosure, and now have a back-up hard drive for my computer. Not worth much these days, but better than throwing the whole thing out.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,184 Posts
SaltiDawg said:
The last post in that entire forum was in August of this year.
SO post there today if you want to sell them. As long as:
1. You own the receivers
2. Your account is paid and no PPV's remain on the receivers

You are good to go. I'm sure there is someone who would want these receivers.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,582 Posts
PezJunkie said:
They are still very useful for the majority of subs who don't have HD TVs. The MPEG4 changeover is gonna take years, and they will be worth something for some time.

PezJunkie said:
Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Well, you can do it(or could). There is a forum over on Yahoo called Dishrip that has a setup so you can copy the programs off the drive and save them, but honestly, since they would have commercials and are probably not readily re-encodable(E* overcompresses a lot and they would probably look crappy re-encoded to something like DivX), I would sell the receiver out right. It's just not worth the effort. I looked into it and decided against doing it myself. Especially since it requires a Windows 2000/XP setup, and I don't do windows.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Michael P said:
SO post there today if you want to sell them. As long as:
Ya think lots of people that might want to buy a used receiver spend a lot of time reading forums that have not had one single post since early August? :lol:

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Michael P said:
2. Your account is paid and no PPV's remain on the receivers
Hadn't thought about the PPV's... will have to find/hook-up my phone line sometime this week before my service is disconnected.

·
Legend
190 Posts
I have sold one on Ebay, got a very good price for a 4800 that I was told wouldn't work with the Superdish. In fact it brought enough to pay for a new 301. Currently I have a 2800 sitting here but I don't really think it would bring much, so I haven't put it up for sale.

·
Icon
1,029 Posts
For top dollar on ebay, be sure to allow shipping to Canada. Their Expressvu system uses the same hardware. With the 301 you will get questions on which card your receiver has and what rev it is so if you plan to use Ebay, you should put all of that information in your listing to avoid having to repeat it.

..Doyle

·
Hall Of Fame
3,184 Posts
DoyleS said:
For top dollar on ebay, be sure to allow shipping to Canada. Their Expressvu system uses the same hardware. With the 301 you will get questions on which card your receiver has and what rev it is so if you plan to use Ebay, you should put all of that information in your listing to avoid having to repeat it.

..Doyle
Not so fast! While the Canadian ExpressVu system uses Echostar ird's, they cannot use one that was originally sold or used for Dish Network. The serial numbers are recorded in a database and the software/firmware is different.

The only thing a Canadian can use a Dish Network ird for is "grey market" or hacking. Do you want to sell to a hacker?:nono2:

·
Hall Of Fame
2,294 Posts
larrystotler said:
They are still very useful for the majority of subs who don't have HD TVs. The MPEG4 changeover is gonna take years, and they will be worth something for some time.

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Well, you can do it(or could). There is a forum over on Yahoo called Dishrip that has a setup so you can copy the programs off the drive and save them, but honestly, since they would have commercials and are probably not readily re-encodable(E* overcompresses a lot and they would probably look crappy re-encoded to something like DivX), I would sell the receiver out right. It's just not worth the effort. I looked into it and decided against doing it myself. Especially since it requires a Windows 2000/XP setup, and I don't do windows.
Maybe I missed something why would you take a perfectly good mpeg2 file and convert it to divx?

You just run DVD Patcher on it to patch it to DVD specs, add to TMPGEnc DVD Author for example, Unpatch back to DVB orginal specs and then author. So far the DVDs created that way play on anything I've tried them in including Sony Changers and Sonys are picky. Apex, Sony, RCA and many of the cheapo DVD players can play them. Not all do and it needs a test to see but going that route the image quality is exactly the same as was broadcast to the 510. I mentions the TMPGenc DVD Author as it has a trial version. I use 1.5. I wouldn't use the 2.0 as it will watermark the menus.

·
Mentor
34 Posts
I had a 4000 that I left my kids take apart. Parts of the old 4000 have become an active component of their imagination!

·
Hall Of Fame
2,582 Posts
TBoneit said:
Maybe I missed something why would you take a perfectly good mpeg2 file and convert it to divx?
Personally, I re-encode all my stuff into XviDs. Why? Same quaility, but much smaller. Instead of lugging DVDs around, I load up a bunch of movies onto my laptop's hard drive. Saves battery power since the DVD drive uses more power, and much easier to deal with. Some people compress stuff too small and the quality isn't very good. I'm more for quality. Or, I can redo stuff for my son's PSP instead of buying a UMB that can ONLY be played on that machine. I picked up a UMD movie recently that was for Region 2 and couldn't watch it(I COULD hack the PSP, but since it's my son's, I don't). Sony got a NASTY letter from me about the stupidity of region codes. Needless to say, I'll probably never buy another UMD. I'll just buy memory sticks.

TBoneit said:
You just run DVD Patcher on it to patch it to DVD specs, add to TMPGEnc DVD Author for example, Unpatch back to DVB orginal specs and then author. So far the DVDs created that way play on anything I've tried them in including Sony Changers and Sonys are picky. Apex, Sony, RCA and many of the cheapo DVD players can play them. Not all do and it needs a test to see but going that route the image quality is exactly the same as was broadcast to the 510. I mentions the TMPGenc DVD Author as it has a trial version. I use 1.5. I wouldn't use the 2.0 as it will watermark the menus.
This info is useless to me. I don't run WinDoZe. Way too insecure and problematic. I don't run Anti-virus, Anti-spam, firewall, or any other useless programs. No need to. Further, I have NEVER owned an actual DVD Player. I watch Movies on a projector hooked to a computer or on my laptop. Also, since Linux overrides the Region Codes, I can watch DVDs from anywhere in the world.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,262 Posts
I upgraded to the 622 from my owned 510. With the rebate offer, I ended up paying $99 for the 622. I sold the 510 on ebay for $145 - I made $46 for upgrading to hd!:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.