DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Sony R50 receiver from approx 2001 that I want to reactivate and use outdoors. When I called DirecTV to activate it, they wanted the 16 digit receiver ID. This receiver never had a 16 digit ID. Originally, they used the Model followed by the S-N as the ID. Now they will not accept that number. Is there any way I can still use this receiver? :confused:

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
:welcome_s to DBSTalk!

That's an interesting question. That receiver certainly is one of the older ones, and I do suspect it will still work if there's a way to get it activated.

If I may ask, would you be better served by calling DIRECTV and simply asking for a free receiver? The odds are that you'll get one if you agree to a one year agreement.

1 Posts
gtf said:
I have an old Sony R50 receiver from approx 2001 that I want to reactivate and use outdoors. When I called DirecTV to activate it, they wanted the 16 digit receiver ID. This receiver never had a 16 digit ID. Originally, they used the Model followed by the S-N as the ID. Now they will not accept that number. Is there any way I can still use this receiver? :confused:
I just had the same thing happen today and was able to get a different receiver activated with my old (currently active) card in it.
I had a Sony SAT-A50 receiver die and I replaced it with an SAT-A65 (also from about 2001). The first guy I talked to (for about an hour) couldn't figure out how to activate the receiver because it didn't have a RID#, so he finally transfered me to another department where that person just used the number off my currently working card and receiver serial number and got it activated on the SAT-A65. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.