DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Godfather
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old style directv dish that I believe doesn't combine the odd and even transponders into the same wire. I believe it actually may be a generic dish with directv LNBs.

I believe the outputs of the Dish are, 110+, 110-, 119, 101+, 101-

I think it only does the odd or even of 119, but I'm not sure.

I could be wrong here, but pretty much there's no switch built in. I need to get a multiswitch to at least get 119 and 101 sats working, how can I do this?

·
Hall Of Fame
5,580 Posts
You need a 4X? switch. You have an old 3 LNB dish it has 3 separate LNBs receiving signals from 101/110 &119. 101 and 119 use even and odd polarities (12v & 18v) the 110 uses a special LNB that converts the signal to 8/10 &12. This is a Sat"C" kit you have 4 inputs going into the multiswitch and 4/8 or 12 coming out depending on the number of receivers you want to feed. You might want to look for a Phase 3 dish instead of a multiswitch, the 4x4 switch is built into the phase 3 and might be a better buy.

·
Godfather
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are the 4 inputs that go into the 4x8 switch?

It must be combining one of them? Are the 4 inputs, 101even, 101odd, 119even, 110/119odd?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
IIRC there is no 110 - (or odd transponders)

·
Godfather
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, here's the thing. I have a MDU installation and the switch seems to be messed up.

The switch has 4 inputs going into it. It has:

101 RHCP
101 LHCP
119/110

This switch is used to run 2 tuners with one wire and still see all 3 satellites. I haven't had TV in over 3 months and thought I'd take care of it myself since no one else is willing to fix it, so I thought I'd get a 4x8 switch and just deal with 1 tuner. In the meantime until the 4x8 arrives I thought I could just plug up one of the 101 wires and receive either the even or odd transponders.

I plugged it up and something weird is happening. I receive all 101 programming, and the receiver shows a signal coming in on every transponder on 110 and 119 as well.

All core programming channels work fine, but when I go to a local channel, which is on the 119 satellite, it tunes to that channel, but that channel isn't the channel it thinks it is. IE, when I tune to my local fox, it goes to MTV2.

Everything else seems to work fine. Now the dish seems to have 3 separate LNBs up there, but since all the cables are loose up there, I can see that a wire from 110 and a wire from 119 are hooked up to a small splitter. Looks like a cable splitter.

As far as I know, there is nothing else up there.

So my question is, what information is the receiving getting, why am i getting all of 101 and why is it confusing 119. From what I understand, I shouldn't have it at all.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,580 Posts
AppliedAggression said:
Ok, here's the thing. I have a MDU installation and the switch seems to be messed up.

The switch has 4 inputs going into it. It has:

101 RHCP
101 LHCP
119/110

This switch is used to run 2 tuners with one wire and still see all 3 satellites. I haven't had TV in over 3 months and thought I'd take care of it myself since no one else is willing to fix it, so I thought I'd get a 4x8 switch and just deal with 1 tuner. In the meantime until the 4x8 arrives I thought I could just plug up one of the 101 wires and receive either the even or odd transponders.

I plugged it up and something weird is happening. I receive all 101 programming, and the receiver shows a signal coming in on every transponder on 110 and 119 as well.

All core programming channels work fine, but when I go to a local channel, which is on the 119 satellite, it tunes to that channel, but that channel isn't the channel it thinks it is. IE, when I tune to my local fox, it goes to MTV2.

Everything else seems to work fine. Now the dish seems to have 3 separate LNBs up there, but since all the cables are loose up there, I can see that a wire from 110 and a wire from 119 are hooked up to a small splitter. Looks like a cable splitter.

As far as I know, there is nothing else up there.

So my question is, what information is the receiving getting, why am i getting all of 101 and why is it confusing 119. From what I understand, I shouldn't have it at all.
When you bypass the multiswitch the receiver sends both 12V and 18V to the LNB so it switches depending on the channel you select. When you select a signal off 119 it sends a 22khz tone along with the voltage, this would tell the multiswitch to switch to the input from the 119 satellite. Seeing you are only connected to the 101 satellite it switches to the transponder that would carry the signal but it is still on the 101 satellite so you get the wrong channel. Go into the setup on your receiver and select single dish instead of 3 LNB dish and it will stop trying to access the 119 satellite.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,912 Posts
AppliedAggression said:
I have an old style directv dish that I believe doesn't combine the odd and even transponders into the same wire. I believe it actually may be a generic dish with directv LNBs.
Have you contemplated buying a whole new dish?

After being beaten about the head and shoulders you let on that this is an MDU installation. What is downstream of the multiswitch?

·
Godfather
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
harsh said:
Have you contemplated buying a whole new dish?

After being beaten about the head and shoulders you let on that this is an MDU installation. What is downstream of the multiswitch?
I started this thread before I went out to look at the satellite. I never said it was a MDU because I thought it wasn't relevent and I know most users probably wouldn't know what kind of sswitch it was, and since I was bypassing it, it didn't matter.

When I noticed a problem, then I decided to tell the whole story.

So I did as what was suggested above by boba, thanks btw! But I'm curious as to how this one wire has both even and odd transponders. If it's coming straight from the 101 LNB, and there's 2 wires, wouldn't this one just be either +, or - transponders?

Does the R15 automatically know there's 1 tuner and deal with that, I couldn't find a setting anywhere?

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
You said the cable was coming directly from the 101 LNB. That doesn't sound like a MDU installation to me.

My understanding is that MDU installations use a stacker to shift some of the outputs to different frequencies and run all down a single cable (ignoring the 13/18 and 22 kHz signals from the individual receivers). This single signal is then split between all of the apartments and a destacker is needed at each receiver to simulate the situation which occurs when you have a dish connected directly. The receiver uses the 13/18 volt and 22 kHz signals to then select (at the destacker) which satellite and polarization (which corresponds to even/odd channels) is used.

There used to be (and maybe still are) MDU installations which use multiple receivers and convert the outputs to different RF channels which combined and are fed to each unit (not requiring receivers at each unit, but usually with a limited number of channels). The ones like this I have seen were C-band, but I have heard that some also do this with DBS.

To set up your R15 for a single input, you need to go through the setup menu. A reset of the receiver (red button under the access card door) will probably be required prior to doing this.

·
Godfather
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The signal is not stacked.

I'm not using the MDU switch now anyway.

But like I said before there were 4 inputs into the switch, and I just bypassed the switch and plugged up 1 of the 2 101 feeds directly into my line, then bypassed the boxes I have inside as well.

Just wondering why this gives me all of 101 instead of 101+ or 101-.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,912 Posts
AppliedAggression said:
Just wondering why this gives me all of 101 instead of 101+ or 101-.
The LNBF for 101 gives you both, so your receiver sees them all. Don't confuse yourself with the markings from a multiswitch that you're not using.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.