DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Cool Member
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had Dtv at my old house for two weeks about 6 years ago. It didnt go well with a bad install and never working right. I coudnt get them to let me out of contract so I paid the fee. I have cable at a new house being that Ive worked for them for the past five years. Since its been free the quality hasnt been a big deal, but since Im not working there anymore I dont want to pay for it. The house Im at now is my grandmothers house. She had Dtv years ago and had bad reception. Im worried if I order the service Im going to have issues and not be able to get out of the contract. Have things gotten better with dealing with them? Is there any opinions for me going forward. Thanks for the time.
 

· Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
26,543 Posts
The ETF is much higher than it was then (now $20/month) and the commitment is 24 months.

If they can't get a satisfactory signal, they're supposed to tell you so and leave without installing anything.

If you live amongst tall trees, you might want to reconsider suffering cable.
 

· Cool Member
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It shows theres a tree a few house's down but its not that high and this house is the biggest house on the street. I dont live around tall anything. Im wondering why her DTV was always going out. Could it have been a bad install?
 

· Super Moderator
Joined
·
12,438 Posts
There are many things that can cause problems with service, but dish alignment was probably the biggest culprit. Poor connections, defective equipment, bad install, all could have been the cause or contributors.
 

· Genius.
Joined
·
19,830 Posts
DirecTV has a new "tool" built in to receiver's software that at least will guarantee you a properly aligned dish today
 

· Cool Member
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know the dish was not drilled to the roof. It was clipped on a piece of pipe that was on the roof. I wonder if that was a issue. Is there a outlet thats better then going online and ordering?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
9,461 Posts
Mojojoe said:
It shows theres a tree a few house's down but its not that high and this house is the biggest house on the street. I don't live around tall anything. I'm wondering why her DTV was always going out. Could it have been a bad install?
A loose or corroded connection would give a poor signal.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
9,461 Posts
Mojojoe said:
I know the dish was not drilled to the roof. It was clipped on a piece of pipe that was on the roof. I wonder if that was a issue. Is there a outlet thats better then going online and ordering?
Online is probably the worst. Either call DirecTV direct or work a deal thru a neighborhood dealer.
 

· Cool Member
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. I got choice extra with the genie for 40.99 after having a family member having DTV. I dont have memberships with those companies kevin,but thanks for the reply. I may look into getting a AAA being you get 10 bucks off for 20 months. Im going to call cincinnatibell tomorrow and see with a bundle if they can do even better.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
16,178 Posts
"Mojojoe" said:
Thanks guys. I got choice extra with the genie for 40.99 after having a family member having DTV. I dont have memberships with those companies kevin,but thanks for the reply. I may look into getting a AAA being you get 10 bucks off for 20 months. Im going to call cincinnatibell tomorrow and see with a bundle if they can do even better.
If their TV service (FiOptics) is available in your neighborhood, bundling isn't available. I lost my $6 discount on my DirecTV service after they put fiber on my street.
 

· Cool Member
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dpeters11 said:
If their TV service (FiOptics) is available in your neighborhood, bundling isn't available. I lost my $6 discount on my DirecTV service after they put fiber on my street.
No FIOS so Im good there. I may still pay for the roadrunner and phone by it self. Bell only has 5 mb down and I have 10 right now. I play games online so I woudnt be looking forward to that switch.
 

· Cool Member
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One thing that I dont know is a issue or not is they said I didnt qualify for the genie client so I had to get a hdbox? Does that seem normal and is that a problem or not? I also asked about the protection plan and I let him know about past issues that Ive had. He coudnt give me a straight answer about when I can or cant add the plan. He also said that I have 30 days from install if I need to cancel and I wont get a term fee. Not sure that I trust that.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top