DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a VIP 622 DVR that is starting to fail. It will restart frequently. It restarts randomly and also while recording.

I know this is pretty old technology. But it works so well for our viewing. We like being able to record OTA channels.

Dish just wants me to upgrade to newer technology, but honestly - the VIP 622 is the only thing keeping me subscribed to DISH.

I can purchase a new/old stock VIP 622 at a good price. Will I have any issues with DISH if I do this? Do they have to activate it? I am currently paying $7/month for the current VIP622 that I have. Will that continue?

Thanks for any info. I used to keep pretty up to date on this stuff, but we are moving to more streaming services and the OTA receiver. My husband has a few shows he likes that are just easier to have a DISH subscription for. Our local service tech passed away, and any calls I make to DISH are mostly hard sell that want to lock me in to a subscription, and I am on the fence about cancelling it entirely.

Thanks so much for any input on replacing my VIP622 with the same model or any other suggestions.

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,430 Posts
They should, but get RID and CAID from the seller, call CSR and check if the 622 will be activated. Record the conversation (I would use online session), ask ID of CSR.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
Factory-fresh ViP622s probably don't exist. Chances are pretty good what you end up with is refurbished which means you're not making much progress in terms of longevity.

P Smith's recommendation is imperative. Otherwise, you should be good to go. Based on your rate, I'm guessing you own the ViP622 and have grandfathered DVR.

If you can afford a bump in monthly cost, I'd step up to a Hopper and get a dual OTA tuner.

If you want to save some money and don't use TV2, consider a Wally with an external hard drive and a dual OTA tuner. The software is arguably better than that of the ViP622 and it should last a long time.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,478 Posts
In all likelyhood - you will probably need a new card to go along with a replacement receiver.

You might be pleasantly surprised if you got a Hopper / Sling (Hopper2) or a Hopper 3, with the OTA dual tuner USB dongle, and Joey for a 2nd receiver. Or you could get a FireTV (or something else, maybe a Roku or AppleTV ?) that can run Dish Anywhere for the 2nd reciever. I would NOT get a Hopper Duo with a Joey. If you only need a single output, then the Wally solution suggested by Harsh is a good option. Activating that for DVR use is a one-time fee of $40 ( and an external USB2 harddrive - self powered).

·
Legend
224 Posts
I have a VIP 622 DVR that is starting to fail. It will restart frequently. It restarts randomly and also while recording.

I know this is pretty old technology. But it works so well for our viewing. We like being able to record OTA channels.

Dish just wants me to upgrade to newer technology, but honestly - the VIP 622 is the only thing keeping me subscribed to DISH.

I can purchase a new/old stock VIP 622 at a good price. Will I have any issues with DISH if I do this? Do they have to activate it? I am currently paying $7/month for the current VIP622 that I have. Will that continue?

Thanks for any info. I used to keep pretty up to date on this stuff, but we are moving to more streaming services and the OTA receiver. My husband has a few shows he likes that are just easier to have a DISH subscription for. Our local service tech passed away, and any calls I make to DISH are mostly hard sell that want to lock me in to a subscription, and I am on the fence about cancelling it entirely.

Thanks so much for any input on replacing my VIP622 with the same model or any other suggestions.
I have 4 622 receivers, and they all are experiencing the same problem as yours. I have found a work around that will keep them from going off for about 24 hrs and then the problem happens again. My internet provider is in the process of bringing fiber optic to me. Once I have it I plan to upgrade to 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys. When i am ready I will be asking a lot of questions in the Hopper Forum. If you are interested in my work around for your 622 let me know.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
Once I have it I plan to upgrade to 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys.
Do you need access to more than two OTA channels at a time?

If not, you only need a Hopper 3, an OTA dongle and three Joeys (4K is possible at all TVs)

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
Would be it a mechanical timer , installed into power outlet and making short power outage for the DVR midnight ?
Is chopping the power going to be substantially different from the nightly reboot (other than risking in-progress recordings with the power chop)?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
In microelectronics world - yes. See Cold reboot vs Restart/Reset
I fully understand the difference but that's not the question. The question is how likely there is an effective difference between the two with respect to Don M's (not the TS) issue.

My first guess would be that Don M is having signal loss issues which can cause mysterious reboots on the ViP622.

When my ViP622 was mysteriously rebooting, it turned out that the OTA tuner was failing (causing signal loss) but this could occasionally happen with satellite signal loss with the ViP622.

With four receivers there's most likely standalone switches involved and that could be doing goofy things too.

·
Legend
224 Posts
Do you need access to more than two OTA channels at a time?

If not, you only need a Hopper 3, an OTA dongle and three Joeys (4K is possible at all TVs)
It looks as if I may need access to more than 2 OTA channels at a time. It appears that TIVO has done away with their 4 tuner OTA receivers. That means that when mine go out I will be limited to TIVOs with only 2 tuners. I will need DISH for at least 4 OTA channels OTA channels.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
It looks as if I may need access to more than 2 OTA channels at a time. It appears that TIVO has done away with their 4 tuner OTA receivers. That means that when mine go out I will be limited to TIVOs with only 2 tuners. I will need DISH for at least 4 OTA channels OTA channels.
By the time your four-tuner TiVo's fail beyond repair, they probably won't be compatible with the broadcast standard anyway.

There are other viable four-tuner OTA options and some of them have an upgrade path.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts