DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Mentor
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the risk of being burnt to a crisp, I just have to ask: does anybody else wonder why NBC is devoting such a ridiculous amount of prime-time real estate to olympic beach volleyball?

I could understand their zeal if these players were super hot, instead of just decent-looking. But I just don't get it. Presumably, I'm in the minority, since no doubt NBC ran their little focus groups to uncover America's unquenchable thirst for ok-looking married women in bikinis. But I just want to know if I am totally alone. A simple yes or no may suffice.

:confused:

· Hall Of Fame
2,239 Posts
Well.... I could say why are they wasting any air time for any of the Olympic sports.

Boring.....

· Legend
198 Posts
My two favorite events are volleyball and beach volleyball, and I prefer to watch the women because serve, set, spike gets boring. The women actually volley with the ball once in awhile. My wife and daughter both agree with me, so its not all about the outfits. :)

· Hall Of Fame
6,035 Posts
UHD actually had ping pong... errr.. table tennis on the other night. I watched it for 10 minutes. I thought what they are now calling "Hand Ball" was interesting. Now that swimming and gymnastics is over, NBC will stick to track and field and diving, apparently. I think diving is pretty boring and most of the track and field stuff. I've watched exactly ZERO (0) of the soccer or basketball.

I may watch a little of the track and field just to see if someone gets impaled by a javelin and bonked in the head by a discus. That would be worth watching.. but not much else.

· Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt
5,262 Posts
I'm sure that alot of what NBC airs is due to rating numbers. Almost everyone I have talked to, male and female, watched the Womens Beach Volleyball.

· Icon
666 Posts
DLite said:
At the risk of being burnt to a crisp, I just have to ask: does anybody else wonder why NBC is devoting such a ridiculous amount of prime-time real estate to olympic beach volleyball?

:confused:
They're devoting so much time to it because it draws ratings, but that really goes without saying. Anyway, what would you have rather seen during those blocks of time? And don't forget, there are other channels showing other events at any given time.

· Hall Of Fame
2,535 Posts
ajc68 said:
They're devoting so much time to it because it draws ratings, but that really goes without saying. Anyway, what would you have rather seen during those blocks of time? And don't forget, there are other channels showing other events at any given time.
Trampoline?

Actually, I've watched just about all of the women's volleyball.... I love beach volleyball anyway, but, a tournament like the Olympics is just that much better!

Plus, like others have said, it's something I can watch that the wife and kids will sit down and watch with me.

My 4 year old sat on the couch with me for an hour last night while mom put the little one to bed and watched the women's platform diving. He loved it. He wanted to know when he could try diving!

· Legend
228 Posts
And let's not forget the fact that an American team was heavily favored to win.

Just see what happens when one of them dastardly foreigners dominate the Track Sprints - the event goes from the Penthouse to the Outhouse in importance to NBC.

One wonders - not really - how important Women's Beach Volleyball will be next Olympic Games if the Chinese Team is prohibitive favorites.

I suspect - not too important.

· Hall Of Fame
6,035 Posts
I thought Trampoline was the dumbest thing I've ever seen but I just turned on UHD and Olympic Walking is on. I stand corrected. How is this a competitive sport? Wait a minute, some chick just got a ping pong paddle to the butt and was disqualified.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.