DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Icon
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if they are going to replay the Opening Ceremonies on any of the channels dedicated to coverage of the games? It seems I missed something special and I would like a chance to record it. :)

BTW - I did have a good excuse, I was watching the Vikings-Seahawks PS game and the Twins-Royals game at the same time.

· Charter Gold Club Member
22,099 Posts
It seems I missed something special...
That, my friend, is the understatement of the week, but you can just lay it off to piss-poor
planning on your part, Mike. :sure:

You (and others, I'm sure) missed the most amazing spectacle I have ever witnessed
on television, or in person for that matter. The entirety of the opening ceremonies was
absolutely beyond belief. This was the ultimate Olympic opening ceremony, one that
will never be equaled. The Chinese have raised the bar so high that future host cities
will never be able to come close to equaling the scale, pageantry and pure Majesty of
the 2008 Beijing Olympics opening ceremonies.

I'm very pleased that I was able to watch the entire 4.5 hr spectacle uninterrupted. Just
wish I had thought to record it. That was piss-poor planning on my part! :p

· Registered
31,115 Posts
The Opening Ceremonies are proof that anything can be done given enough time and money.

Don't look for other countries to try to top this year's show, as they don't have to spend that kind of money to impress people after demonstrating a tarnished national image for decades.

No doubt about it - it was quite a visual and audio event.

· Hall Of Fame
6,035 Posts
The opening ceremonies were somewhat entertaining but I wouldn't say it was excellent and beyond belief. I started getting bored and had to channel surf. It almost looked like the guy that lit the big torch was going to tall when he got the the top of his 'lifting chain'.

· Hall Of Fame
4,351 Posts
After just reading an article on how London is trying to do the Olympics "on the cheap" in 2012, I can't help but to think of what THEIR Opening Ceremony will be like.

Bob Costas said it perfectly.. "The trophy for best Opening Ceremony Ever? Retire it now!"

· AllStar
97 Posts
We recorded the show and watch it today. We were busy last night and couldn't watch it then. I don't usually get into any kind of Olympic ceremonies but since this was in HD I thought what the heck. It was spectacular! I was captivated up to the parade of Nations. Fortunately, we could ff thru' that part. All in all a very good show. Very impressive.

· Legend
204 Posts
Does anyone know if it will be rebroadcast in HD at any time soon? Unfortunately I forgot to record it and from what I have heard, I really missed quite an event!

· AllStar
56 Posts
n3ntj said:
The opening ceremonies were somewhat entertaining but I wouldn't say it was excellent and beyond belief. I started getting bored and had to channel surf. It almost looked like the guy that lit the big torch was going to tall when he got the the top of his 'lifting chain'.
LOL....when I saw that guy being suspended in the air and taken to where he had to light the torch, the first thing I thought was, "boy, that would suck if he dropped that flame"

· Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt
5,262 Posts
ThunderRoad said:
LOL....when I saw that guy being suspended in the air and taken to where he had to light the torch, the first thing I thought was, "boy, that would suck if he dropped that flame"
:hurah: :hurah: So did I.:lol:

· Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt
5,262 Posts
djlong said:
After just reading an article on how London is trying to do the Olympics "on the cheap" in 2012, I can't help but to think of what THEIR Opening Ceremony will be like.

Bob Costas said it perfectly.. "The trophy for best Opening Ceremony Ever? Retire it now!"
They will pass out Fish-n Chips.

And the torch will be a big bottle of Malt vinegar.

· Hall Of Fame
2,535 Posts
I don't know about any rebroacast, but I did watch last night and it was remarkable.

My wife went to bed shortly after the blocks in the center of the stadium that were going up and down. She didn't believe me today when I told her there were people in each of those blocks. She thought it was somehow done by machines, or hydraulics or something.

All in all, it seemed every time they started a new think, it was better than the last.

I haven't been around to see as many big events as Nick, but in my lifetime, this was easily the biggest, most spectacular event I've ever seen!

· Cool Member
19 Posts
Guttboy said:
Does anyone know if it will be rebroadcast in HD at any time soon? Unfortunately I forgot to record it and from what I have heard, I really missed quite an event!
Not sure if it will be rebroadcast, but the entire opening ceremonies sure better be released in Blue Ray DVD after the games are over!!

· Hall Of Fame
3,136 Posts
Wow, what a ceremony.

As far as competing, my wife said that it sucks to be London. THey will just need to have 5 guys come out with a banner and have Rogge say the games are open. Call it minimalist! ;)

I thought I saw the torch go out briefly when he was being lifted. I had wondered for a while if the torches had auto igniters in them just to make sure they stayed lit during the regular journey. I would say with maybe 75% certainty that it went out and relit itself, though it could have just been that the flames were blowing down, which I did see a few seconds later, but I really think it was out.

As the cubes were going up and down I started wondering how they were doing it. They seemed pretty precise in the stopping points so they must have had marks or stops in the frame, but the more I thought about it, with as many as they had going with motors or hydraulics, it was almost certain that at least one would have broken during the ceremony and would have been stuck in the up position or something. So I started thinking it had to be actual people, then I thought I could just see legs and at a couple of points even see the outline of an arm through the fabric. I was glad they showed them so I did not think I was crazy.

I really liked the lighted drums and the way they used them.

All-in all, it was awesome.

7 Posts
MikeR7 said:
Anyone know if they are going to replay the Opening Ceremonies on any of the channels dedicated to coverage of the games? It seems I missed something special and I would like a chance to record it. :)

BTW - I did have a good excuse, I was watching the Vikings-Seahawks PS game and the Twins-Royals game at the same time.
It's available as VOD on D* but the HD version gave me a black screen for 14 minutes. The SD version works though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.