DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
None of the on demand offerings are truly free, as you can't watch anything that's on a channel not in your package. So everyone's on demand offerings will vary based on the packages they subscribe to.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,243 Posts
litzdog911 said:
Did you expect that premium channel movies would be free via OnDemand? Nobody would subscribe to those premium channels then.
Well no, but the statement "7000 movies free" is certainly misleading unless there's some clarification after that.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
billsharpe said:
Well no, but the statement "7000 movies free" is certainly misleading unless there's some clarification after that.
They are terrible with the language and messages you see in ads. But you gotta remember, they're not aiming at us, but more towards the lemmings.

Rich

·
Godfather
522 Posts
billsharpe said:
...the statement "7000 movies free" is certainly misleading unless there's some clarification after that.
Rich said:
"Free" is one of the most annoying words in advertising. What they mean is "without charge" or "for no extra money".

Rich
Yes, it *IS* misleading--on purpose. That's the goal of advertisment and marketing, to sell stuff, not to give you the real facts so you can make an intelligent decision. They only want your money. Look at advertisments sometime (with DVRs, we skip them mostly). They used words like "CAN" and "MAY" but couched in a sentence so we hear them as "WILL" instead. That way, they can clearly say that we inferred something that they never said, even if they deliberately implied it.

Anyway, as was said, there is NOTHING for free as you have to subscribe to DirecTV to get ANY of their programming. It's a lie disguised as a marketing gimmick.

·
Legend
136 Posts
It does not state "free" as it was pointed out earlier.

Everything seems to state that DIRECTV is providing access to VOD for no additional charge, which is truth to me.

It's like getting an additional sauce at McDonald's with your nuggets for no additional charge. :*)

·
AllStar
73 Posts
I agree with westview...it is misleading. It sounds like what Netflix and Amazon offer....streaming video, not just grouping together movies that you already have. I find the whole thing worthless and a waste of time.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
larryah said:
I agree with westview...it is misleading. It sounds like what Netflix and Amazon offer....streaming video, not just grouping together movies that you already have. I find the whole thing worthless and a waste of time.
"misleading?", well it is an ad, so that's a given.
Amazon and Netflix may have better pricing, but you can get [similar] movies off of On demand with PPV, so it's not "just grouping together movies you already have".
Some may find it worthless and a waste of time for them. While I don't use it a lot, there are times I do, so "worthless" isn't quite what I'd call it, but I wouldn't call it "important" either.

·
11 Posts
directv.com at the bottom of the directv on demand page:

1Additional fees required for new releases. *Access to available DIRECTV On Demand programming is based on package selection. Actual number of TV shows and movies will vary. Some DIRECTV CINEMA and On Demand content requires an HD DVR (HR20 or later) or DVR (R22 or later), DIRECTV CINEMA Connection Kit and broadband Internet service with speeds of 750 kbps or higher and a network router with an available Ethernet port are required.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.