DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mentor
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post your typical download times for content from DOD...

I'm running Comcast HSI in Chicago, I have the 8mbps/2mpbs speed tier of service.

Downloading a full HD Starz movie 2hr 15min in length takes about 90-130 minutes. 30 minute SD show will take about 17-20 minutes.

Recent speedtest from DSL Reports:

·
Dry as a bone
12,566 Posts
I have no idea.

However, I've been able to start watching everything I've downloaded (HD and SD) right away and have never had to pause. So, in all cases it's taken less time than the show is in length.

I have Verizon FIOS 5/2

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
I have 2.7MBps download speed and can download a 30 min. SD program in 18 minutes give or take. 30 minutes of HD can take over an hour.

·
Godfather
455 Posts
I have a 7MB cable connection thru a Linksys G wireless router using a Compaq Laptop with a built in G wireless adapter bridging to an HR-21 box. I just tried my first download this morning and it took 20-25 mins to download a 30 min SD program.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,333 Posts
I hate to beat a dead horse...but I will.

If you have a wireless connection on your path to your router/modem, check it for issues. I have seen a number of times that interference from neighboring wireless networks can cause a very high number of dropped packets which can impact throughput drastically.

If you are experiencing slow download with a fairly high speed connection (3 Mbps or higher), you should try it via a hardwired connection to check for any change in speed. Retransmitting dropped packets due to wireless issues can very severely impact download time.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
I would assume that there is some throttling done in their system somewhere because it makes no difference in download time if I have only one, or both HR20's downloading at the same time. I can watch SD immediately and HD needs about a 20 minute head start. I have a 6mbps DSL which has been very consistent.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,409 Posts
Comcast throws down some serious Quality of Service (QoS) smackdown on heavy downloaders. I often have my "up to" 6Mb connection wind down to less than 1% of that speed after a few minutes. If I pause the download for a couple of minutes, the speed pops right back up.

·
Icon
777 Posts
harsh said:
Comcast throws down some serious Quality of Service (QoS) smackdown on heavy downloaders. I often have my "up to" 6Mb connection wind down to less than 1% of that speed after a few minutes. If I pause the download for a couple of minutes, the speed pops right back up.
I've never seen this. I've had consistent 1MB/s (note: megaBYTE) downloads from other sites. On DOD I've seen 6mb/s downloads throughout the download.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.