DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Godfather/Supporter
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Long time no post on here but as they say I am not dead yet! LOL I just upgraded our VIP 722's (finally) a few weeks ago. I got a Hopper 3 and a wired 4K Joey for the MBR. Installation went fine and after figuring out how to operate things I am quite happy. However I got my new bill and was shocked at the amount. Mostly they are trying to charge me a one time $40 leased receiver fee. I did not agree to this fee and have gone over every page of all the paperwork they sent me and nowhere do they say I will be charged a one time fee of $40. What is this for? Certainly not activation of a DVR. When you have a system like this installed you assume it works out of the box and you don't have to pay more if you actually want it to work.

Anybody else have this and were you able to get it removed by a simple phone call?

Rectangle Font Circle Brand Electric blue

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
Chances are that this is what they charged you to upgrade to a new DVR.

Can we assume that they did a truck roll?

·
Godfather/Supporter
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, this was a new Hopper install so that requires a new LNB and switch. They are not gonna let a customer do that.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
Yes, this was a new Hopper install so that requires a new LNB and switch. They are not gonna let a customer do that.
So you don't understand why they charged for a truck roll plus all new gear?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
It was supposed to be a "free upgrade".
As P Smith noted, that's something you need to take up with DISH. If they don't make it right, that's the time to squawk.

Don't overlook the fact that DISH invested over $500 in labor and hardware (retail value).

·
Hall Of Fame
3,982 Posts
You do realize that the 4K Joey is useless because Dish had begun broadcasting only 4K HDR on 540-02 and the 4K Joey cannot do HDR?

·
Super Moderator
53,492 Posts
I have both Roku and AppleTV for 4K.
Those won't play DISH 4K from channels 540 ... but they probably will give you access to more 4K than DISH broadcasts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You do realize that the 4K Joey is useless because Dish had begun broadcasting only 4K HDR on 540-02 and the 4K Joey cannot do HDR?
I do find this interesting because I just installed a 4K Joey and I can not watch any 4K from this 4K Joey, be it streaming ( Yes I have the bandwidth) 4k, 4K UHD or 4K HDR. Dish is telling me it is a software issue that they are working on a fix in a future software release. While at this time I can not see channels 540-2 or 540-4 from the 4 K Joey when Dish broadcast the Browns - Packard Game in 4K HDR the “game finder” popped up and I hit select on my remote and the 4K Joey put me on the 540 Channel (I think 504-2 but maybe 540-4) and My TV went into 4K UHD - My TV supports HDR also I just could not prove it was HDR. but I was on the 540 channel.
I Left the channel at halftime and nothing I did would let me to go back to it the game including recall.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
while 4K [4096x2160] is not broadcasting to consumers, only UHD [3840x2160] with SDR, HDR or HLG
The issue here is that the 4K Joey (that supports UHDTV1 but literally has "4K Joey" emblazoned on it) isn't delivering the higher resolution content. This is an bug as was confirmed by Support.

Getting into the weeds of the distinction between 4K (that has always had multiple matrices) and UHDTV1 (UHD was either 3840x2160 or 7680x4320) isn't helping now that the market has abandoned its initial declaration to use the UHD nomenclature.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This whole thing started for me when I got an e-mail from dish that "FOX changed it 4k broadcast to 4K HDR and for customer that had a 4K HDR TV, the viewing experience will be better than ever before". The e-mail made no indication the you have to have the 4k HDR TV connected to the hopper 3 and would not work on a 4K Joey.

So I made sure my 65inch 4k TV Had HDR and order the 4K Joey. Once install no 4K, but a fix is coming and I can live with that, but I am finding mix messages on whether or not HDR broadcast will work on the 4k Joey. But I do know I did watch the Browns- Packed game via the JOEY in 4k on a channel that is LIST from the Hopper as 4KHDR. It's just that the only way I got to the channel on the 4K joey is when the game finder popup saying your game is about to start and I hit select and start watching. All of which I am hoping will be fix via software.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I cannot see any 4k recordings from the 4KJoey and so far, there has not been another sports event that I am aware of that is on the 540 HDR channels that will trigger game finder. Also, last time I talked with Dish support I was told the software update is planned for late January or early February. Keeping in mind that I am just a customer and have no special relationship with Dish.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,982 Posts
I don't think a software update will fix the 4K Joey. It is a hardware deficiency, nothing software can do.

While Dish was using 540-1 in 4K non HDR, 4K Joey's worked fine as did my Samsung 2015 non HDR 4K TV coonnected to my Hopper3.

But now I get NO 4K just because some nimnal at Dish decided to switch all the 4K to HDR and leave us early adopters out in the cold.

Hey Dish DUMMIES put 540-1 back up without HDR so the other half of your 4K consumerbase can have 4K, too!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts