Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
AllStar
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Easy qustion for someone out there (coulndt' find while searching):

I am getting ready to take the plunge and put my old R15 upstairs in the bedroom and utilize the HR20 as my full time unit.

Currently it has 1 cable connected to it. When I connect the second cable for dual tuners should I first unplug the unit? Or can I simply hook up cable #2 and it recognizes that both tuners are now active?

I know on the old machines you had to go through a full set up to change... but I do not think that is the case with this unit.

Thanks!

·
Godfather
336 Posts
It is always best to unplug any and all electronics while making any connections.

The only down side is waiting for the system to boot back up.

Do not be alarmed right after the reboot when the guide is displaying "Title not available" this is normal and the guide will fill in.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
RussFor said:
Easy qustion for someone out there (coulndt' find while searching):

I am getting ready to take the plunge and put my old R15 upstairs in the bedroom and utilize the HR20 as my full time unit.

Currently it has 1 cable connected to it. When I connect the second cable for dual tuners should I first unplug the unit? Or can I simply hook up cable #2 and it recognizes that both tuners are now active?

I know on the old machines you had to go through a full set up to change... but I do not think that is the case with this unit.

Thanks!
I'll tell you what I would do:

1. Unplug the unit, wait about 30 seconds
2. Connect the new line (2nd cable/tuner)
3. Plug back in, turn on (if it doesn't come on)

See if it goes through it's reboot (it should). See if the 2nd tuner is now showing

If not:

Hit the red reset button on the front and wait for it to reboot, then the 2nd tuner should show up.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
1,135 Posts
You can't unless you record something and then try to change the channel.

You can go to the system info/test screen in the menu and test signal
strength on both tuners.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
RussFor said:
Thanks

On this unit - how do you switch between tuners to check?
You can't....but to find out if your tuners are working:

Menu > Help+Settings > Setup > Sat & Ant

Hit enter on View Signal Strength

Let it populate the transponders.

Cursor down to Signal Meters and hit enter

It will show you the signal strength on both tuners (if present), and they should be very close in strength: I'm getting 91% and 89% on tuners 1 and 2 presently.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
561 Posts
I've just moved from one tuner to two tuners on my HR20 and it's having an issue picking up the second tuner. I've gone to the signal strength screen and both tuners are picking up near identical signal strength.

Then, to check it again, I started recording a show then went to guide and tried to go to a different channel. When i choose the other channel, I get a message that both tuners are in use and I need to cancel the recording to switch channels.

Both tuners aren't in use, there is only one thing recording and I don't know how to get around this. Anyone else have this problem? I've also reset the unit and went through the guided set up again just to make sure.

EDIT:
I just tried the third hard reboot, this one seem to do the trick. Both tuners are now working

·
1 Posts
I had a similar experience - had to unplug the unit twice before it recognized the second tuner properly. Seems to be working properly now.

Now we just need the dual buffers... :nono2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.