DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Godfather
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my new customer install today and I have only one thing that has me puzzled. So I can record from one sat tuner and watch/record from one OTA tuner, but I cannot record from two sat tuners. Is this something that will resolve itself in the next two days (give or take) after it has finished downloading guide data (is that consuming the other tuner)?

I've tried rebooting the box to no avail.

· RBR Hitit tillit bricksit
266 Posts
You should be able to record two programs at once now. Something is wrong.

Please discribe your setup so we can help.

· Godfather
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure how much detail you're looking for, but here it goes:

I have two satellite lines running to the HR20 along with an antenna line. I also have two other rooms with standard boxes.

Should I try each satellite feed independently of each other to ensure my install went right?

· Legend
162 Posts
terryfoster said:
I just had my new customer install today and I have only one thing that has me puzzled. So I can record from one sat tuner and watch/record from one OTA tuner, but I cannot record from two sat tuners. Is this something that will resolve itself in the next two days (give or take) after it has finished downloading guide data (is that consuming the other tuner)?

I've tried rebooting the box to no avail.
You say you have one OTA tuner, and one Sat Tuner. If you are able to get OTA, then you have to have that cable connected. The fact that you have one Sat Tuner would seem to indicate that you only have one Sat cable connected. Check and see if you have 2 or 3 cables connected to the back of the receiver. If you do have all 3 connected, check the signal strength meter, and see if it is showing something for both tuners. If you only have one sat cable to it, and it was installed, I would definitely be calling DTV with a big complaint about that installation job, and get it fixed.

· Legend
162 Posts
terryfoster said:
I'm not sure how much detail you're looking for, but here it goes:

I have two satellite lines running to the HR20 along with an antenna line. I also have two other rooms with standard boxes.

Should I try each satellite feed independently of each other to ensure my install went right?
Since you have 2 separate sat lines, I would say to check the signal meter, and verify that you have signal on both tuners. I would assume that the installer checked this, but you never know. Is this a full install, or did he just pull for this receiver?

· Godfather
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the heads up on running a signal strength check on the second tuner. Well, surprise, no signal. I'm off to call DirecTV.

Thanks for the help.

Edit: This was a full install.

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,882 Posts
terryfoster said:
Thanks for the heads up on running a signal strength check on the second tuner. Well, surprise, no signal. I'm off to call DirecTV.

Thanks for the help.

No need to call. Just run the setup again and specify you have two lines going to the tuners. Then reboot. That should be all you have to do. At least try that before you spend an hour on hold in which they will tell you nothing more then to reboot anyway (and won't tell you to rerun the setup and specify 2 tuners). :(

· Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Some installers just plain suck. I mean you would have to know that checking for signal on both tuners is a must when a DVR is in the picture. If I did my job like that I would be fired.

terryfoster said:

Thanks for the help.

· Godfather
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I decided on Saturday to run my own second line knowing they weren't going to make their "escalated" Sunday morning appointment. I tested the line from the satellite to my attic first before moving forward by connecting it to the box and running a signal test. I rebooted the box and bingo, I had two tuners activated and ready for recording.

So I then ran to my local hardware store and picked up a length of RG6 and a new three connector wall plate instead of just leaving the top of the wall plate open to allow the antenna feed through.

Now instead of waiting on hold for D* again, I'll just wait for the confirmation call and cancel at that time.

Thanks everyone for your help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.