DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Legend
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a slimline 5lnb dish. There are two receivers connected directly to it. One HR21 works perfectly with both tuners. The second (an HR20) DVR only has one functioning tuner. I have swapped the cables to the HR20 and the problem moves with the cable (only tuner 1 works, then only tuner 2). So, it's definitely an input problem. Question: Can a faulty LNB cause only one of the four cables to fail? I doubt that the cable has gone bad but I suppose it's possible that weather has gotten to the connection at the dish. It's just kinda inaccessible. I pay for the DTV maintenance. Maybe I should get them out to troubleshoot it.

On edit: BTW, I already swapped out the b-band converter and it didn't help.

· Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
Odds are high it is a problem with the coax or associated connector. LNB would be the other possibility. The HR20 appears to be good because the problem moves from one tuner to the other as you swap cables.

The coax should go outside your structure and through a ground block, then from that point up to the dish. You might check the connections at the ground block. If all four lines from the dish go to this same point, you might also try swapping lines between the two DVRs and see if the problem moves to the other DVR.

Given that you are paying for maintenance, you might as well call. Keep tuner 1 as the good tuner while you are waiting.

· Legend
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
carl6 said:
Given that you are paying for maintenance, you might as well call. Keep tuner 1 as the good tuner while you are waiting.
I think that's the path I'm going to go down. That DVR's hard drive is really noisy (loud seeking all the time) - so, maybe I can get the service guy to replace it at the same time. I have nothing recorded on there that I can't live without.

· Legend
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE!!! Field tech was dispatched after a phone tech (very liberal title) painfully took me through the troubleshooting steps (which I had already done) to no avail. I described the HR20's noisy hard drive to the phone tech and he said he couldn't authorize a replacement because it still worked (noisy is considered normal I guess).

Field tech replaced the LNB and swapped out my noisy HR20 with an HR23 - no questions asked. Within an hour, I was all up and running perfectly again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.