DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orb

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Sackchamp56 
sanborn13 said:
Has anyone tried using a program called Orb to display photos, video, music on the HR20. I installed this on my home PC because of a story I read about viewing these items on my Nintendo Wii and after installing I can now see all of the folders for video, music, etc on my HR-20. Of course the videos I have stored are ripped DVD's and the audio is Apple AAC so I cannot actually view or hear anything.

It also brings up a message on the TV when I turn off the home PC that Orb is no longer connected. Website for Orb program is orb.com and it is a free program. Also it does work to stream media to the Wii.

This is my first post on dbstalk but the site has been very informative. Thank you all.
Thanks for the info. I have a Wii also and I am not particularly looking forward to paying TwonkyVision in 9 days. $40. I'll be checking this out.

Rambler and anyone else, please post your experiences with this software as will I if I try it.

I got the photos to stream to the HR20 but then it logged off. Also I don't know if it's still scanning but it's yet to find my true music folder. That's within the orb config page too.

It uses port 80, yet I don't see confilcts. Yet, at one point my pc froze so bad I needed to press the power button to shut it off. That hasn't happened in a long time.

PS OT: he Wii's interaction with this is weak IMO. It shrinks the photo to what looks like a letterboxed 4:3 content on a 16:9 screen.

We'll see. Jury's still out here but I'm not overwhelmed. I saw in other thread that the Nero server has been good for someone.

edit: With orb: I finally saw one of my .mp3s through the HR20 which I manually uploaded to the ORB config page but it got an x. Not good. I assume it's not transcoding to lpcm. It looks like I'll be uninstalling this.

Rambler said:
Got to play with Orb for a bit. It's slower than Twonky, and seems to have a problem with more than 2 or 3 nested folders I think - it wouldn't go into a sub sub-folder that I had. I'll be playing with Nero MediaHome tomorrow.
Spanky_Partain said:
I have seen others having good luck with tversity. I have not tried it.
I have tried TVersity a few days ago. It wouldn't play my Sony Cybershot Digital photos. It played my smaller sized Olympus Camedia files and did the music well.

I installed Nero Ultra Edition Enhanced today with Nero MediaHome and right away it picked up HR20: DirecTV HD DVR. Unfortunately, the Cybershot photos came presented in a miniscule, almost thumbnail fashion. Maybe it was converting it to .bmp or something. The music folder I had selected hadn't loaded my media in about 1/2 hour either. It was slow and made the HR20 freeze for a couple minutes. So that was it. I pulled the plug on the server.

I reinstalled TwonkyMedia and I will be coughing up the $39.99 for the year's license. It works very well for me. It is simple and the most stable.

So I've tried Windows Media Player 11, TVersity, Orb, Nero MediaHome and TwonkyMedia.

TwonkyMedia has been hands down the best.

This is with Windows XP SP2, no ViiV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.