DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Mentor
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being generally fed up with my HR20 (searching for satellite, blank recordings, lag in remote response, deleting all recordings and settings, etc.) even after changing the multi-switch and adjusting the dish, I called D* to order a replacement HR20 and they sent me an HR21.

I need OTA recording, but they tell me they cannot control what unit their warehouse sends me. B.S.! :mad: Sending me a unit without the same capabilities as the machine that I had is bogus. :nono2: Why can't I get a replacement unit X after unit X dies? Are they no longer manufacturing HR20s?

Any ideas? :confused:

· Lifetime Achiever
10,820 Posts
The HR20's are no longer being manufactured and if DIRECTV has any left they will be refurbished units. But the CSR's have no control over what you receive.

There is a add on unit AM21 that will add OTA tuners to your HR21. If you want call DIRECTV and see if you can get one for free since you used the OTA tuners on your HR20.

· Cool Member
24 Posts
guins said:
After being generally fed up with my HR20 (searching for satellite, blank recordings, lag in remote response, deleting all recordings and settings, etc.) even after changing the multi-switch and adjusting the dish, I called D* to order a replacement HR20 and they sent me an HR21.

I need OTA recording, but they tell me they cannot control what unit their warehouse sends me. B.S.! :mad: Sending me a unit without the same capabilities as the machine that I had is bogus. :nono2: Why can't I get a replacement unit X after unit X dies? Are they no longer manufacturing HR20s?

Any ideas? :confused:
Read the thread here for more information

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=131599&highlight=HR20-100+Stuck+at+Step+1+of+2.....

They'll send an AM21 once you call back, after you receive the HR21 if you are nice/diplomatic with them.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Well said, DougC. I have had a lot of success with DIRECTV just by treating the person on the other end of the phone like a person, not a hunk of meat.

· Mentor
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Michael D'Angelo;1670295 said:
There is a add on unit AM21 that will add OTA tuners to your HR21. If you want call DIRECTV and see if you can get one for free since you used the OTA tuners on your HR20.
Thanks for the response. Can the HR21 record the OTA signal picked up by the AM21 or does the AM21 just enable you to watch live OTA?

· Hall Of Fame
2,136 Posts
Once the AM21 is added to the HR21 it should function identically to the HR20. The setup is the same. The guide is the same. Etc. It seems like the software on the hr21 does still need a little bit more work since there do seem to be trick play issues more frequently than I would like but otherwise it seems to work well. The AM21 also seems to have newer tuners that work noticeably better for most people.

· Icon
819 Posts
Stuart Sweet said:
treating the person on the other end of the phone like a person, not a hunk of meat.
For what its worth, I'd like my supplier to replace my busted equipment with new stuff that has the same in-use capabilities as what is being replaced without my having to call them, sit on hold for 15 minutes and then be nice to them about it.

If I call to replace a receiver the support rep should ask if I'm using OTA and supply a refurb hr20 or an hr21 with am am21 at the point of service. Not send me something different and let me work it out on my own dime.

That hunk of meat thing swings both ways.

· Godfather
499 Posts
guins said:
I need OTA recording, but they tell me they cannot control what unit their warehouse sends me. B.S.! :mad:
I think it is BS. About six weeks ago I had a 2 month old HR20-100 crap out, could not find any sats. I reverted to using the HR10-250 underneath it that it was suppose to replace. First call to CSR I just had to convince him that the HR10 was working but the HR20 was broke using the same sat input lines. When he went to place an order for a replacement, the computer database was down and they were reloading it and would take four or five hours. He told be to call back and make sure it was noted that is needed a HR20 for OTA when the next CSR placed the order.

Two days later I called and had to repeat the whole troubleshooting routine of hooking up the HR20, failure, then hooking up the HR10 and getting it booted up and working to prove wire, multiswitch, or dish were ruled out as the problem. Told him the first CSR said to make sure need for HR20 was noted on order and he told me it was on the order. Two days later I got a HR20-700R rebuilt unit that has been working just fine.

My feeling is that they have HR20s, but some CSR just don't know how to order them or maybe don't have the authority to order them.

Note that I do have the protection plan but don't know if that had any bearing on a two month old unit failure.

· Mentor
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
t_h said:
For what its worth, I'd like my supplier to replace my busted equipment with new stuff that has the same in-use capabilities as what is being replaced without my having to call them, sit on hold for 15 minutes and then be nice to them about it.

If I call to replace a receiver the support rep should ask if I'm using OTA and supply a refurb hr20 or an hr21 with am am21 at the point of service. Not send me something different and let me work it out on my own dime.

That hunk of meat thing swings both ways.
AMEN! In fact the reps I spoke to, NEVER EVEN MENTIONED THE AM21 even though I repeatedly said I needed OTA capabilities so I needed an HR20!!! I had never heard of an AM21 until it was mentioned on this site.

So not only do they have monkeys working in their warehouses, they also answer the phones!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.