DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of us are having a good time with Earl and his hints and the speculation and everything, but we also need to take a look at what D* is doing to some of its higher end customers.

Whether right or wrong, CSR's were telling customers December 1st. This is completely unrelated to Earl and his October/November speculation. After, as it has been pointed out, most customers don't read these boards and rely on CSR's.

So how would you feel if you bought this box based on a CSR telling you December 1st. Since the HR10 was removed from the market, many new HD subs have no way to receive/record local DT channels. They were relying on the D* CSR's to give them correct information. (Please no laughter.;) )

So while we are having fun, there probably are D* customers who are quite upset with D* right now and I don't blame them. They were lied to. So while the engineers are try to "knock our socks off" with whatever new features they are planning to add, they need to remember some customer relied on information and expect D* to make good on it.

:soapbox:

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Yes... there is an "issue" there, but depending on when OTA is release, it can be fairly easily mitigated.

If OTA is delayed until 2007, you have a bigger issue... but if it is only a "few" days.. it is not so "bad".

· Godfather
485 Posts
As much as I hate to contribute to another OTA thread, I think Herdfan has a point, HOWEVER this may need to be out into perspective. I personally know 4 people that own a HR10-250 and only 1 of them uses the OTA to record HD. The other three don't care or don't know. How many consumers that own the HR20 do you really think are going to add an antenna to their house or worse apartment / condo (if even allowed)? I happen to live in a market with 5 HD channels so I am not that anxious for OTA, but so do the other 3 people with HR10's. I look down my street and see almost half the homes with D dishes but only one has an antenna (granted they may have an indoor antenna, but I doubt it from looking at antennaweb).

My guess is that the MAJORITY of new HR20 owners have no clue what OTA is or don't really care about it. IMHO

This forum is a very small slice of HR20 users and even some of them do not know what OTA is or how to use it once it is implemented. For the rest who have been told a date that has since past, I think that sucks, but as consumers we have become numb to such tings. I.E. Playstation 3, TiVo series 3, Sony Blue-Ray player, etc. Heck go to Endgadget some time; half the articles are about delays on new gear or shortcomings.

· Mentor
33 Posts
I was told by CRS, like everyone else, that OTA would be activated Dec 1. I got my HR20 in Nov. after my HR10-250 went belly up ("Man I miss that machine").
The problem in my neck of the woods D* cannot come to an agreement with the ABC affiliate to carry their HD signal, so OTA is the only means I have of receiving or recording ABC's HD programing. My patience is wearing thin!

· Mentor
30 Posts
jgrade said:
As much as I hate to contribute to another OTA thread, I think Herdfan has a point, HOWEVER this may need to be out into perspective. I personally know 4 people that own a HR10-250 and only 1 of them uses the OTA to record HD. The other three don't care or don't know. How many consumers that own the HR20 do you really think are going to add an antenna to their house or worse apartment / condo (if even allowed)? I happen to live in a market with 5 HD channels so I am not that anxious for OTA, but so do the other 3 people with HR10's. I look down my street and see almost half the homes with D dishes but only one has an antenna (granted they may have an indoor antenna, but I doubt it from looking at antennaweb).

My guess is that the MAJORITY of new HR20 owners have no clue what OTA is or don't really care about it. IMHO

This forum is a very small slice of HR20 users and even some of them do not know what OTA is or how to use it once it is implemented. For the rest who have been told a date that has since past, I think that sucks, but as consumers we have become numb to such tings. I.E. Playstation 3, TiVo series 3, Sony Blue-Ray player, etc. Heck go to Endgadget some time; half the articles are about delays on new gear or shortcomings.
I live in a market that does not recieve local channels in HD. Therefore, I know a number of people who know exactly what OTA is and are waiting very anxiously for it's activation. (All of whom will be utilizing an INDOOR antenna, so YOU will never know!!)

· Hall Of Fame
2,320 Posts
jgrade said:
I care about OTA more for viewing of HD CBS and FOX since my locals for these arent on DTV yet nor any plans from what I can tell. Plus subchannels are good for weather/news. From a recording point of view I only record a few CBS shows anyways so not sure I need HD except for personal viewing pleasure

· Legend
219 Posts
I agree with Herdfan. D* could a much better job of communicating with us. they have most sub's email addresses. They could update us very easily on many sub issues, just like they do there PPV picks. You would think they were afraid to inform us on issues that directly affect service. It might even cut down on the # of calls to CRS.

· Cool Member
30 Posts
spidey said:
I care about OTA more for viewing of HD CBS and FOX since my locals for these arent on DTV yet nor any plans from what I can tell. Plus subchannels are good for weather/news. From a recording point of view I only record a few CBS shows anyways so not sure I need HD except for personal viewing pleasure
What he said

· Godfather
485 Posts
vb-eagle said:
I live in a market that does not recieve local channels in HD. Therefore, I know a number of people who know exactly what OTA is and are waiting very anxiously for it's activation. (All of whom will be utilizing an INDOOR antenna, so YOU will never know!!)
First I said it was an opinoin, relax.

Second, for the larger number of people that you don't know, how many do you think have an HR20 or lesser machine and have no clue about OTA, and if they do, have a HD televsion, or even know about the past Dec 1 activation date.

The point was, that I suspect (again only my opinion) that most HR20 owners will not care about OTA and will wait as we all have to, or had to do, to get HD through D.

Just My Opinoin!!:rolleyes:

· Registered
5,952 Posts
jgrade said:

I didn't buy/lease the HR20 for a majority vote on its features. I got it BECAUSE IT COULD RECORD OTA "as advertized", So, frankly, I don't care what anyone else's opinion is about the desirability of OTA in the HR20, whether they care about it, know about it, or when it gets turned on. I don't care how many neighbors have dishes/cable or other antennas. D* leased it to me with a promise, I expect them to deliver, and I'll use it as I see fit without consulting some amorphous "majority".

It's not my concern that people may be satisfied with the lowest common denominator in picture quality. If HD-Lite is good enough for them, fine. If their viewing habits don't include a lot of network TV (or if they find MPEG-4/HD-Locals adequate), fine. It's not good enough for me.

It does not disturb me particularly that there have been slippages in the turn on date. Things happen. It does disturb me to imply that somehow "majority" rule got involved in whether or not OTA is important. A deal is a deal, period, so please don't negotiate for me, and no need to guess for me either. I'll do my own guessing, sign my own contracts, and make my own deals, thankyou very much. I don't care "how small a slice" we are talking about...it's MY slice, they made a deal with ME and I expect them to honor it. You can care or not care as you like...it's none of my business. The corollary is also true.

I don't want to wait until fq 2007...anything better than that is fine with me.

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
jgrade said:
First I said it was an opinoin, relax.

Second, for the larger number of people that you don't know, how many do you think have an HR20 or lesser machine and have no clue about OTA, and if they do, have a HD televsion, or even know about the past Dec 1 activation date.

The point was, that I suspect (again only my opinion) that most HR20 owners will not care about OTA and will wait as we all have to, or had to do, to get HD through D.

Just My Opinoin!!:rolleyes:
It can be so hard to characterize an audience or customer group. Everyone here is right and wrong partially, or so i suspect. There are going to be pockets of very up to date people who really want and need OTA, as there are going to be areas of people without a clue.

Who is going to be most prevelant? Especially as out of the gaters? Since the HR10 is out of stock, I have no clue as to who is the larger group.

When I design software, I try to think about several people who would be using it: the clueless newbie, the scared rabbit (frightened of change), and the power user who will soon know it better than I. D* has to server everyone of them in some fashion.

So you are both very right. And perhaps just a bit wrong.

Cheers,
Tom

· Legend
150 Posts
hdfan01 said:
I agree with Herdfan. D* could a much better job of communicating with us. they have most sub's email addresses. They could update us very easily on many sub issues, just like they do there PPV picks. You would think they were afraid to inform us on issues that directly affect service. It might even cut down on the # of calls to CRS.
I work in an IT department and support about 3000 users. When we make even the smallest announcements our help desk gets flooded with calls. When we don't make announcements we get beat up for not telling anyone what is going on. Sometimes giving or withholding information is a no-win situation no matter what we do and the path of least resistance is to only let out information slowly if at all.

· Godfather
485 Posts
Dam you tibber! That’s far too neutral for a topic as inflammatory as OTA activation. :D

Anyway, yes you are correct as any opinion is just that, and not fact. I guess the biggest frustration is that there is no way to win; be it the consumer or D. The bright side to the problem is that the users without OTA or HD locals through D is that they are not missing content, just not getting the best picture possible. Granted the market for HD is larger than D transmits, as I also miss many HD channels not having the OTA activated. I myself am a mixed user. I have 2 SD TiVo’s that are connected to non HD sets and a HR20 that is connected to a HD set with dual ATSC tuners. I am my own enemy.:p

· DBSTalk Club Member
96 Posts
jgrade said:
Dam you tibber! That's far too neutral for a topic as inflammatory as OTA activation. :D

Anyway, yes you are correct as any opinion is just that, and not fact. I guess the biggest frustration is that there is no way to win; be it the consumer or D. The bright side to the problem is that the users without OTA or HD locals through D is that they are not missing content, just not getting the best picture possible. Granted the market for HD is larger than D transmits, as I also miss many HD channels not having the OTA activated. I myself am a mixed user. I have 2 SD TiVo's that are connected to non HD sets and a HR20 that is connected to a HD set with dual ATSC tuners. I am my own enemy.:p
Call me naive, but won't the consumer and D* both win if (and only if) the HR20 OTA functionality is activated before Jan 1, 2007? Regardless of what CSRs have said, or any other speculation for that matter, isn't the official D* "date" late 2006?

In addition, those of us who have an HD tuner within their TV aren't missing the best picture possible, we're simply waiting for the opportunity to record the best picture possible.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
CUIllini said:
In addition, those of us who have an HD tuner within their TV aren't missing the best picture possible, we're simply waiting for the opportunity to record the best picture possible.
Such a smart guy...... must be the school... :D

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
2,533 Posts
Actually, the OTA signals were nicer when I used them with the H20 I had but more so I liked the "inbetween" stuff like 5.2 for weather and all the other side programs. I didn't get them all living way out in the boonies but I bought a nice big ugly rooftop from Farm n Fleet so I could be a true Hillbilly. Yee-Haw. Rex - practice: Griese - superbowl!

Go Bears!

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
CUIllini said:
Hate to burst your bubble, but I went up the road (I74) to I Screwed Up...;)
Well... at least you have seen the light... and are now absorbing via Osmosis.. :D

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
glennb said:
Another hostile OTA thread. Just what we needed.
:rolleyes:

Maybe the forum software could be temporarily set to delete any thread with OTA in it. At least until OTA is released. :)
It's not that hostile....

If you want to see hostile.... You should have seen some of the earlier discussion about HR10 vs HR20.... now those where hostile.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.