Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Mentor
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this board, but glad I found it. A ton of great information. I recently had the 5LNB satellite installed and an HR20. I was told I would get local HD channels with this upgrade, but that was a lie. I don't want to go into a rant on this so I won't.

It turns out I need an OTA to get the local HD channels. DirecTV couldn't order me one because the system doesn't let them order just an OTA without a system. Again, I could vent here too, but I don't feel the need...

I need to buy an OTA. The DirecTV rep said some of them can screw into the 5LNB dish which would mean I wouldn't have to run a new cable into the house because it would use the current cables that go from the satellite.

Can anyone recommend an OTA to purchase to do this? I have looked at many, and am lost as to what I need. I don't want to have to run a new cable into my house, so having one that can screw into my 5LNB dish would rock.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Ethan

·
Banned
614 Posts
exorr said:
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this board, but glad I found it. A ton of great information. I recently had the 5LNB satellite installed and an HR20. I was told I would get local HD channels with this upgrade, but that was a lie. I don't want to go into a rant on this so I won't.

It turns out I need an OTA to get the local HD channels. DirecTV couldn't order me one because the system doesn't let them order just an OTA without a system. Again, I could vent here too, but I don't feel the need...

I need to buy an OTA. The DirecTV rep said some of them can screw into the 5LNB dish which would mean I wouldn't have to run a new cable into the house because it would use the current cables that go from the satellite.

Can anyone recommend an OTA to purchase to do this? I have looked at many, and am lost as to what I need. I don't want to have to run a new cable into my house, so having one that can screw into my 5LNB dish would rock.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Ethan
Ethan, at some point in the near future Albany will get HD locals via MPEG4. At the moment it's based on your market. NYC get's the HD locals and feeds, but your too far north to qualify. Hang in there you will get them soon.
:grin:

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
matto said:
you will need to run a new cable from the OTA antenna regardless of whether it shares mounting with the dish.
Yep, missed that part of the OP. Matto is right, you can't diplex OTA with the coax coming from the 5LNB dish.

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
The OTA antennas that attach to satellite dishes are usually pretty lame. Your best bets are to check ....

http://www.antennaweb.org to see what's available in your area and what size antenna is recommended

http://www.avsforum.com in the "Local HDTV Reception Forum". Find the thread for your nearest city and ask folks in your neighborhood what works best for them.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
jcarr said:
I did not think the OTA reciever worked in the HR20. I hope I am wrong, I have been on hold to buy one until it is fixed. Jon.
It's coming soon. They just need to finish testing and then send the update via satellite.

I'm sure you'll see a gazillion posts about it as soon as it is turned on. Very hot topic on the HR20.

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
Exorr, It is not lie. Local HD channels are bundled with recent deals. I'm getting them all. The only thing different between local HD thru D* vs. OTA is KQED channel. With D* I only get the 1 KQED. With OTA, I'd get the additional KQED-2, KQED-3, KQED-4, and KQED-5. These, however, are broadcasted in 4:3 format. Only KQED-1 has true HD 16:9 format

·
Mentor
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dkd said:
Exorr, It is not lie. Local HD channels are bundled with recent deals. I'm getting them all. The only thing different between local HD thru D* vs. OTA is KQED channel. With D* I only get the 1 KQED. With OTA, I'd get the additional KQED-2, KQED-3, KQED-4, and KQED-5. These, however, are broadcasted in 4:3 format. Only KQED-1 has true HD 16:9 format
It was a lie for me. There is no way I can get local HD channels. Your in CA, not Albany, NY. I'm extremely ticked off about it. They lied to me twice already, when I first signed the contract, and then when they told me to wait for the HR20 and said the new 5LNB satellite would get me local HD channels.

Now I need a OTA to get them and they WON'T deliver and install one for me because it wasn't ordered when I got the upgrade because they said it wasn't needed. Their system can't add just an OTA to an order.

They then told me to go buy an OTA and I'm told now that I can't even use that with an HR20.

They have lied to me from day 1 and it's unacceptable.

ARGH!

OK...Venting off...

·
Mentor
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cybrsurfer said:
Ethan, at some point in the near future Albany will get HD locals via MPEG4. At the moment it's based on your market. NYC get's the HD locals and feeds, but your too far north to qualify. Hang in there you will get them soon.
:grin:
Have you heard something that I haven't? They are getting them in the Buffalo area shortly, but I haven't heard any news about when the Albany area will get them.

Ethan

·
AllStar
60 Posts
exorr said:
It was a lie for me. There is no way I can get local HD channels. Your in CA, not Albany, NY. I'm extremely ticked off about it. They lied to me twice already, when I first signed the contract, and then when they told me to wait for the HR20 and said the new 5LNB satellite would get me local HD channels.

Now I need a OTA to get them and they WON'T deliver and install one for me because it wasn't ordered when I got the upgrade because they said it wasn't needed. Their system can't add just an OTA to an order.

They then told me to go buy an OTA and I'm told now that I can't even use that with an HR20.

They have lied to me from day 1 and it's unacceptable.

ARGH!

OK...Venting off...
Same thing happened to my co-worker. He just got the new HR20 HD-DVR and AT9 installed. I told him that the OTA tuner was disabled and he couldn't get Oklahoma City HD locals yet. He then called Directv back and they told him on 3 occasions that YES he can get his HD locals with an antenna. Also said don't listen to your friend, as he doesn't work for Directv. MORONS! One CSR told him you can watch the HD locals on the satellite since he has the newest receiver. OKC locals in HD are NOT up yet! Please tell me why Directv doesn't tell their people what the "F" is going on!!! I'm fed up with their dishonesty, unreliability and BS! I'm starting a new sat service with the jing i'm winning in VEGAS. Any ideas for a name...All HD DVR's FREE for customers...installation FREE...ALL HD, ALL THE TIME...HDUSA TV is my idea...uggghhhhh

·
Mentor
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Blitz68 said:
I use this antenna with my HR10-250 and it is mounted in my attic and it works great.
Blitz, how does it work in your attic? The signal goes through your house into the attic and still works? I would think that would degrade the signal.

Thanks,
Ethan

·
Legend
151 Posts
PoitNarf said:
Yep, missed that part of the OP. Matto is right, you can't diplex OTA with the coax coming from the 5LNB dish.
I've heard this said before. Here is my current set-up:

• 4 lines from from 5-LNB dish into multi-switch which has 8 outputs
  • OTA feed is then diplexed into one of the 8 outputs that goes to my living room
  • Diplex the OTA back out and it goes into my HR10-250 - I get sat and OTA no problem on this box

I also have an HR20-700 upstairs that works fine, even the HD locals from sat. What does it mean that I can't diplex OTA as it appears this is exactly what I'm doing??? Does it mean that I could not hook up my second HR20-700 to the line that has been diplexed? :confused:

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
exorr said:
Blitz, how does it work in your attic? The signal goes through your house into the attic and still works? I would think that would degrade the signal.

Thanks,
Ethan
Lots of people have attic antennas. It does degrade the signal some (and can be really bad depending on what kind of roof/shingles one has), but usually works much better than a further compromised indoor antenna by the TV (rabbit ears/bow ties, etc)

The merits of the attic antenna are 3:

1. Increased gain over some little thing next to the TV
2. Increased height (reducing obstructon losses and increasing line-of-site to tower.)
3. Reduced susceptibility to locally generated noise from your TV setup.

Taking all three together, the performance of a properly installed attic antenna will, in most cases be much better than something near the TV.

This won't work in fringe/deep fringe areas (where only an outside antenna with significant height helps)

·
Cool Member
28 Posts
exorr said:

Thanks,
Ethan
I have an antenna in my attic running to an HR10 and the signal is strong on most channels, Fox being the exception. I recently added an HR20 to my setup (to get Fox HD). For kicks when I was reconfiguring the wiring, I plugged the antenna cable into my TVs HD tuner and Fox came in clear as a bell. Leads me to believe the OTA tuners in the HR10 are not the best. I've been told by neighbors that our zip code used to qualify for a waiver for the Fox East Coast Feed before DTV had D.C. locals via the Sat, so I doubt the signal is degraded much if I can pick up Fox with my TVs tuner.

-Max

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
I have my antenna installed in my attic as well.
I am about 35 miles from the broadcast towers.

I get all my OTA extremely well, with the exception of VHF-3 (CBS).
Which I am not alone with that problem in Chicago... VHF-3 is the hardest one to get.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
I have my antenna installed in my attic as well.
I am about 35 miles from the broadcast towers.

I get all my OTA extremely well, with the exception of VHF-3 (CBS).
Which I am not alone with that problem in Chicago... VHF-3 is the hardest one to get.
Low freq, lower power, less antenna gain for the same physical size antenna. I believe power is restricted from channel 5 and below on VHF...we have the same problem here with Channel 5 (ABC). Very poor signal, even at 27 miles, with good antenna height on both ends. The digital 5-1 is quite a bit better, and it is on the other extreme, one of the highest UHF assignments where path loss, vegetation losses and cable attenuation are at a maximum.

The slightest amount of power line noise here will show on Channel 5, non-existent on 8,11,13,17,23,56 analog. (Living in rural areas, power line noise is pretty much a given thing, unless it rains a lot, washing off the arc'ing power pole insulators.

The sole use I might have for HD-Locals is Channel 5 (ABC), because I am told that when the freq change has to be made, Channel 5 has chosen to give up its UHF slot and return to VHF-5...which means their digital signal will STINK!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.