DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone confirm that it is OK with this new dish to have the OTA antella cable combined with the satellite cable from the new dish? My installer who I know already is not very knowledgeable says that he believes this will cause issues.

He is also telling me he can not ground my dish because it is sitting on the ledge of the house two stories up. Anyone else have an ungrounded dish on the roof of their house? I could have sworn my previous installer said he grounded it to something.

Thanks.

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
The OTA cannot be diplexed onto the satellite cable with the AT9 dish.

As for the grounding, I don't see how the location of the dish would have anything to do with it. The little wire for grounding is attached to the cable they run to the dish.

·
Godfather
370 Posts
HJJ said:
Can someone confirm that it is OK with this new dish to have the OTA antella cable combined with the satellite cable from the new dish? My installer who I know already is not very knowledgeable says that he believes this will cause issues.

He is also telling me he can not ground my dish because it is sitting on the ledge of the house two stories up. Anyone else have an ungrounded dish on the roof of their house? I could have sworn my previous installer said he grounded it to something.

Thanks.
You cannot diplex the 5lnb dish. It will cause issues in 2007. I would insist on them using a second cable to hook up the antenna. Most installers will install an extra cable if you ask.

It should be grounded, if there is a place/way to ground it. On a second story without access to the ground, you may not be able to. That one is completely up to you in that situation.

·
Godfather
370 Posts
Jeremy W said:
The OTA cannot be diplexed onto the satellite cable with the AT9 dish.

As for the grounding, I don't see how the location of the dish would have anything to do with it. The little wire for grounding is attached to the cable they run to the dish.
But that little wire has to be connected to something at the other end, like an electrical ground or water line. In an appartment situation that may not be easily possible, then it is the customers decision if they want to go ungrounded or spend money on an alternative method, like a wire straight to a ground rod in the ground...

·
Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well for starters, I was really hacked off that they sent the same installer back from last Friday night. He did not even know what an optical digital cable was used for. But the main purpose of getting someone back out today was to get the dish grounded and to reconnect my OTA cable. Now he warned me about the OTA signal not working well with the satellite signal but he never offered to run another cable. Since I already had two cables coming from the dish he never even had to run a single cable. So he should have run a seperate one for me for the OTA. Maybe I will try to get them to do that on my next technician appointment which I am on hold with retention now trying to get scheduled.

·
Banned
614 Posts
This is word for word from Zinwell manual that came with my WB68 on bottom of page 3:

Do not diplex (combine) an off-air signal with a Ka/Ku dish signal, since the Ka-Lo band of 250-750 MHz occupies the same frequency band as the off-air signal and will cause interference.

Just connect your OTA antenna to "off air in" on back of HR20/H20 only. Do not connect OTA antenna to a Zinwell multi switch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.