DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a vhf channel 3 working on their OTA setup? I know their is a missing OTa channel thread, I didnt want to plug it up with this thread though as I wanted to keep it clean as possible, and also sorry if this was already posted, I did a search and didnt find anything

earl, Is directv aware of any issues with vhf channel 3?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
There are aware of "issues" with certain channels..
All over the place.

They are aware of the issue with Chicago WBBM-DT; which is VHF-3
And they are investigating that.

Where DMA are you in, and what channel is it (you stated the frequency but what channel does it translate back to)

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
and 3 (2) in Grand Rapids, MI
also channel 8 (7) shakey

·
Mentor
39 Posts
:) Channel 3 works in the Omaha Nebraska broadcasting area. It has always been my weakest OTA HD. I have two different antennas so that I can switch to a more directional position.

·
Banned
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
earl I am in cleveland channel 3 is nbc which I use for my weather as 19-2 is missing, I just wondered if they are aware, and thank you for your response! I know you are very busy right now, and thank you to everyone else who responded. I have filled in the missing channel on the proper thread, just didnt want it cluttered with this question.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
PoitNarf said:
I thought VHF channel 3 was reserved for VCR use :lol:
Tell cbs 2(wwmt) and nbc 7(wood) that! VHS is obsolete:mad:

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
houskamp said:
Tell cbs (wwmt) and nbc (wood) that! VHS is obsolete:mad:
Why would they stick with an extremely low VHF frequency? Most of the locals in the NYC area moved their digital broadcasts to the UHF band I believe.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,887 Posts
PoitNarf said:
I thought VHF channel 3 was reserved for VCR use :lol:
I suspect a software issue. I can't imagine that all of the ATSC channel 3s are actually on the standard NTSC channel 3 frequency (60MHz). I would be very surprised if any of the ATSC channels in any market are in the VHF-low range (54-88MHz). If I'm not mistaken, broadcast TV is slated to abandon the VHF-low band after the the digital transition.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
harsh said:
I suspect a software issue. I can't imagine that all of the ATSC channel 3s are actually on the standard NTSC channel 3 frequency (60MHz). I would be very surprised if any of the ATSC channels in any market are in the VHF-low range (54-88MHz). If I'm not mistaken, broadcast TV is slated to abandon the VHF-low band after the the digital transition.
Got 2 vhf here in grand rapids, mi!
3-1 (2!) wwmt
8-1 (7) wood

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
harsh said:
If I'm not mistaken, broadcast TV is slated to abandon the VHF-low band after the the digital transition.
That was my impression as well.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
Now the key here isn't that the OTA channel is 3.
The key is what is the *digital* channel assignment.
In Grand Rapids it is digital 2.
I also believe the same is in Cleveland if I've read the posts correctly and also in Chicago.
I'm seeing a pattern of digital channel 2 not being able to come in on the HR20.

Sounds like from Earl though that DirecTV is aware of this issue.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,887 Posts
houskamp said:
3-1 (2!) wwmtd
Color me perplexed. Maybe they need the lower frequencies to get out across the lake. Then again, the lower frequency transmission equipment is cheaper.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
3(2) dead
8 (7)multipath probems
35 (11) great
all others great, do these tuner just have a problem the lower they go?

·
9,809 Posts
harsh said:
Color me perplexed. Maybe they need the lower frequencies to get out across the lake. Then again, the lower frequency transmission equipment is cheaper.
Using VHF for digital is pretty common outside the top markets. I'm pretty sure our channel 8 was just assigned that from the FCC as was channel 3 (getting 2). I remember about 5-6 years ago talking about this on our locals thread on AVS and the local engineers gave the impression that our market was a "test" market for the FCC for digital signal via the VHF band.

·
9,809 Posts
houskamp said:
3(2) dead
8 (7)multipath probems
35 (11) great
This can have a lot to do with the antenna you have. In many areas to get channel 2 you have to have your VHF antenna specially modified to extend the longest outer "spokes" so that 2/3 will come in better.

But the issue in our market is this: Channel3 (digital 2) comes in at a 100% signal lock on other OTA receivers, just not on the HR20. Same in the other markets. So there is a trend there with digital 2 on the HR20 not working.

Multipath problems there isn't much you can do about it other then tweak your antenna/pre-amp setup. I guess it's possible a tuner could be more sensitive to multipath issues though.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,887 Posts
houskamp said:
3(2) dead
8 (7)multipath probems
35 (11) great
Perhaps your antenna is the issue? If it is an UHF only unit, you're probably not getting enough signal. If it is VHF capable, you might be getting too much signal.

Do you have any other ATSC tuners to compare against?

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
harsh said:
Perhaps your antenna is the issue? If it is an UHF only unit, you're probably not getting enough signal. If it is VHF capable, you might be getting too much signal.

Do you have any other ATSC tuners to compare against?
my samsung 360 gets all of them fine... good tolerance (lots of positions on rotator) ant is about 50' up clear all around.. can swing the ant 360 degrees and get 0 on 3(2) and 8(7) has to be just 'so' to get it to 'stay'
Have a new db4 comming tomorrow to try..to replace 10' long RS unit

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.