DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read some postings on people receiving subchannels (what are these?) and HD local channels using an OTA, that they cannot get using the HR20-700. Is there a link and/or listing for me to look up what channels in my area (southeastern Pa.) that I could receive using a OTA with my current 3 LNB dish? I'm only upgrading to the HR20 -700 5 LNB dish to receive the HD locals / MPEG-4.
Thank you,
Tony

· Registered
12,607 Posts
By the way, your satellite dish has nothing to do with receiving your over-the-air HDTV channels. You'll need a UHF or UHF/VHF antenna for that. Antennaweb.org will help you determine what type/size antenna you'll need for your location.

· Crivens!
768 Posts
tonyportale said:
subchannels (what are these?)
Subchannels are the digital channels associated with a "normal" analog broadcast channel. For example, Chicago ABC Channel 7 (VHF) has digital sub channels 7.1, 7.2, and 7.3 (often represented as 7-1, 7-2, & 7-3) which are broadcast on the UHF frequency normally assigned to analog channel 52.

As Earl suggested, AntennaWeb.org is the best place for information on the stations in your area, and the antenna you'll need to get them.

(Note: digital is not the same as High Def - a digital subchannel may be digitally broadcasting SD programming.)

· AllStar
90 Posts
litzdog911 said:
By the way, your satellite dish has nothing to do with receiving your over-the-air HDTV channels. You'll need a UHF or UHF/VHF antenna for that. Antennaweb.org will help you determine what type/size antenna you'll need for your location.
That is not entirely true because of how DirecTv has decided to implement OTA on the HR20. It boggles my mind that they for some reason chose not to let us do a scan for channels. I would prefer to have the ability to receive a channel even though I do not get guide data for it.

· Godfather
311 Posts
gr8reb8 said:
That is not entirely true because of how DirecTv has decided to implement OTA on the HR20. It boggles my mind that they for some reason chose not to let us do a scan for channels. I would prefer to have the ability to receive a channel even though I do not get guide data for it.
So what does this mean exactly? I am thinking of hoisting an antenna up on my roof this weekend... Will I be able to record anything off any OTA channel? Or will I only be limited to recording those channels that DirecTV decides to publish guide data on...(and how extensive are those plans)...

· RBR Hitit tillit bricksit
266 Posts
Enter your zip in the antenna setup screen and it will tell you what is in the guide for your area. Whatever is in there, is all you will get. It might be most if not all of them or it could be missing a bunch. Each market is different. It will show all of them that are in the guide no matter whether or not you can actually receive them with your setup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.