DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured out why OTA is disabled. If they enabled OTA, and havent' fixed all the issues with HD locals they are currently (re) broadcasting, we'll see the differences in quality between the two. I don't mean the MPEG 2/4 differences. I mean, while watching th HD stream of my CBS local NFL, it was unwatchable. I switched to my HR10-250, using OTA, the picture was fine. If OTA was enabled on the HR20-700, you could switch between the signals, and see where the real problem lies, since most people not only have both boxes, but wouldn't switch between them on the same tv anyway.

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,271 Posts
Could be, but it well known fact what was discussed many time here. Only if they think we don't have friends, family, co-workers. :)

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
I got it, you're onto something. D* killed Kennedy, faked the moon landings and is cahoots with the Trilateral Commission to hide the hole in the North Pole that leads to paradise in the center of the earth, too. And Elvis is the CEO - Murdoch is just a patsy.

·
Legend
150 Posts
The fact that OTA is enabled on the H20 and it can also recieve MPEG-4 should put this theory to rest. No tin foil hat needed. :)

·
Legend
219 Posts
nocaster said:
The fact that OTA is enabled on the H20 and it can also recieve MPEG-4 should put this theory to rest. No tin foil hat needed. :)
And while OTA on my H20 is completely and totally SPECTACULAR, the MPEG4 PQ is comparable, albeit slightly inferior. You have to expect some PQ compression tradeoffs in the interest of bandwidth. Still, the fact that the HR20 does not have OTA is nothing to contact the FTC or the FCC about.

·
Legend
200 Posts
LameLefty said:
I got it, you're onto something. D* killed Kennedy, faked the moon landings and is cahoots with the Trilateral Commission to hide the hole in the North Pole that leads to paradise in the center of the earth, too. And Elvis is the CEO - Murdoch is just a patsy.
Yes. I always knew there was a second HR20 on the grassy knoll!:nono2: :lol:

·
DBSTalk Club Member
251 Posts
ProfLonghair said:
I figured out why OTA is disabled. If they enabled OTA, and havent' fixed all the issues with HD locals they are currently (re) broadcasting, we'll see the differences in quality between the two. I don't mean the MPEG 2/4 differences. I mean, while watching th HD stream of my CBS local NFL, it was unwatchable. I switched to my HR10-250, using OTA, the picture was fine. If OTA was enabled on the HR20-700, you could switch between the signals, and see where the real problem lies, since most people not only have both boxes, but wouldn't switch between them on the same tv anyway.
Are the MPEG-4 locals broadcast not-OTA really that bad? My dish and receiver arrive tomorrow, but if they're not that much of an upgrade over SD, I'm starting to think it won't be worth the trouble. :p

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Realy depends on the area.

Here in Chicago, they are marginally different at best.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,911 Posts
nocaster said:
Ah, but with the H20, you cannot record the evidence!

·
AllStar
75 Posts
"Earl" said:
Here in Chicago, they are marginally different at best.
Are you talking about OTA HD locals vs Mpeg4 HD locals? Or OTA SD vs Mpeg4 HD?

I would hope the Mpeg4 is a huge improvement over OTA SD...

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Skarzon said:
Are you talking about OTA HD locals vs Mpeg4 HD locals? Or OTA SD vs Mpeg4 HD?

I would hope the Mpeg4 is a huge improvement over OTA SD...
OTA-MPEG2-HD vs SAT-MPEG4-HD

It is night and day when comparing the SD feeds to HD feeds

·
Hall Of Fame
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Boy, I do love starting a good controversy.

I didn't see this in other threads, mostly because I got tired of 'Do we have OTA yet? Do we have OTA yet?'

Or, the Fat Tony version:
My wife, she is asking about the OTA. Where is the OTA? When are we going to get the OTA? Why aren't we going to get the OTA now? And so on.

But, it just struck me as odd, since it's enabled on practically every other receiver they put out, why they couldn't here, and this was what I came up with. I'm not necessarily dying for it myself, I don't see a huge difference here between the OTA signal and the MPEG 4. The only difference I do see is the skipping/pausing/disruption/noise on the MPEG 4 signal that is not there on the OTA. So, I figured, they didn't want u sto see their failure in such a simple, glaring fashion.

And, D* didn't kill Kennedy. A tiger got him.

·
Banned
90 Posts
ProfLonghair said:
But if the problem is as I suspect on the uplink from the station which I would bet is almost always the local stations fault, so what? That's really not a secreat.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,102 Posts
With my locals which is the Milwaukee area, the DTV satellite locals look every bit as good as OTA.

·
Godfather
253 Posts
deebeeeff said:
Yes. I always knew there was a second HR20 on the grassy knoll!:nono2: :lol:
Back and to the left.... back and to the left ;)

·
Legend
192 Posts
iacas said:
Are the MPEG-4 locals broadcast not-OTA really that bad? My dish and receiver arrive tomorrow, but if they're not that much of an upgrade over SD, I'm starting to think it won't be worth the trouble. :p
The MPEG-4 channels vs the same channels in OTA are nearly identical in the Wash. DC area.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
geaux1 said:
But if the problem is as I suspect on the uplink from the station which I would bet is almost always the local stations fault, so what? That's really not a secreat.
How can you tell who's fault it is? I would love to know.

·
Legend
219 Posts
iacas said:
You must be confused. MPEG4 HD locals via D* are SUPREMELY better than SD. In fact, every HD ever produced, no matter the compression method, or bit twiddling technique, is better than SD.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Maybe when the clear 0xF6 for national distribution, they'll just skip ahead to 0xF7 or whatever it will be that will have OTA enabled. At least that's what I'm hoping!

0xEB didn't go national, and then everyone got 0xEF right afterwards. I'm foaming at the mouth for OTA [email protected][email protected]! :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.