DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Legend
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dunno if this has been discussed before and if it has I apologize. BUT here's the basic idea........

1.Someone in a major metropoliton city has a VERY good antenna and a VERY good net connection. They then feed the antenna into "some" box with an ethernet connection.

2.The digital DATA the antenna sees is streamed over the net to whomever

3.on the receiving end a device OR pci card receives the DATA and then outputs it to a coaxial connect which you then feed to your 722's antenna and now antenna channels appear that you were never possible before!!!

Now I dunno WHAT they will call this technology but like slingbox wil be the first of its kind AND all at once will allow ANYONE with broadband to watch OTA HD channels EVEN if they live in a hole (like me)

While this is a perfect scenario there is quite a few hurdles to overcome lets look at them..

1. The FCC - They have some funky regulations about who can watch what channels in what area............ as this technology would clearly circumvent this then a regulatory standard woulld have to be made.much like how dish does locals now............they COULD have you go register somewhere and then your entitled to YOUR AREA OTA nothing else!!! user name and password or something..........

2. Bandwidth- I don't really know how much bandwidth an HD channel @ 1080i would consume on broadband........ARE WE THERE YET?? dunno but netflix recently unveiled streaming live sd movies over the net and they SAY HD is coming soon , note their boxes you must buy for this have an HDMI port so they believe it will be compatible............ IF not enough then you will have to wait a few years when there is more like 100 megaytes a sec broadband up AND down EVERYWHERE!!!

3. Capturing Video- As if the FCC issue wasn't big enough here comes licenscing and people ripping the streams to theirhard drive of ytheir pc's. Now if this is illegal isn't a home dvd recorder??? BUT I dunno I am not a lawyer nor a tv exec.

This WILL happen somewhere somehow in the future, wait n see!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Super Moderator
54,215 Posts
Ressurrector said:
1. The FCC - They have some funky regulations about who can watch what channels in what area............
It isn't the FCC ... they could care less about where you get your TV. It is the network affiliation agreements that stand in the way ... and copyright laws (controlled bu Congress, not the FCC) that protect the content controlled by those affiliation agreements.
2. Bandwidth- I don't really know how much bandwidth an HD channel @ 1080i would consume on broadband........
Not a problem within a local area. Use multicast. You could stream over cable or fibre to homes. (Sounds like something already provided. :D)
3. Capturing Video- As if the FCC issue wasn't big enough here comes licenscing and people ripping the streams to theirhard drive of ytheir pc's.
Yep. Content providers ... the same ones protecting affilation agreements so they can sell their content over and over into different markets (affiliation/syndication) certainly don't want "perfect" copies made of their content (even with watermarks and local station interruptions).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.