DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about switching over from Dish due to the fact that I am going to lose my distant feeds. Unfortunately for me I get burned, even though I legally qualified for those feeds.

Either way, I have been talking to the Direct customer service people about setting up a new account and really wanted to verify what functionality I would get with an OTA antenna. Direct can't offer me locals either, but claim that the OTA antenna can be fed into the DVR and I will see program guide info for the OTA stations the same as I would for any other stations they provide. Is this correct? I know currently with the Dish receivers this isn't the case and you can only pick up the OTA feed if you have their top of the line HD/DVR receiver. Even then you don't see any programming and have to program the DVR similar to a VCR in order to record off the local feed.

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Banned
614 Posts
PackerFan said:
I am thinking about switching over from Dish due to the fact that I am going to lose my distant feeds. Unfortunately for me I get burned, even though I legally qualified for those feeds.

Either way, I have been talking to the Direct customer service people about setting up a new account and really wanted to verify what functionality I would get with an OTA antenna. Direct can't offer me locals either, but claim that the OTA antenna can be fed into the DVR and I will see program guide info for the OTA stations the same as I would for any other stations they provide. Is this correct? I know currently with the Dish receivers this isn't the case and you can only pick up the OTA feed if you have their top of the line HD/DVR receiver. Even then you don't see any programming and have to program the DVR similar to a VCR in order to record off the local feed.

Thanks for any feedback.
The way I have read the FCC SHREVA law states that customer who already get DNS like you, are grandfathered, and can continue to get those networks. The law applies to Dish, DirecTV and all other carriers. If you get some time read it, especially paragraphs 3 and 5, it will verify what I just said.

I thought the Dishnetwork receivers had OTA available. If your within a resonable distance from the networks, you should get HD via antenna.

Well DirecTV will probably be better for you because I'm sure Florida by the end of next year will have HD locals via Satellite. So you won't need OTA, except for certain independent stations not carried via satellite. The HR20 will have OTA December 1, and the H20 already has OTA for 2 markets enabled.

·
Icon
869 Posts
PackerFan said:

Thanks for any feedback.
From one Packer fan to another welcome to DBS. One question back to you...

Are you speaking about Standard Def locals or HD locals. I have never seen where you can pull in the schedule and guide data for SD channels. But on the H20 you can pull up schedules for local HD content that is delivered OTA. Even the channels that D* doesn't carry including the auxillary channels. I have only seen this on the H20, and the HR10 as that is what my experience has been with. I would assume that the same functions as the H20 will port over to the HR20 once the OTA functions are enabled.

One should also be able to select a secondary local area if for instance, you can pull in some bordering local channels to your area. The best example I have of this is when you live north of Chicago, IL bordering WI and IL and you can pull in both the Milwaukee, WI OTA and the Chicago, IL OTA. On the HR10 you could pick a secondary local area for those channels you can pull in via OTA.

I hope this helps. If someone could speak to the H20 and how that works and will work with HR20 please chime in.

Go Packers!!!

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PackFan thanks for the input.

I was talking strictly SD channels right now. In the immediate local area we only get ABC OTA. It is an HD feed but I don't currently have a HI-Def set, so I am not too worried about getting HD feeds right now.

Direct seems to think they have an antenna that will allow me to pick up Memphis feeds. We are about 80 miles out from Memphis. Other than that there are no other OTA feeds for our area.

Anybody know with Direct, if I can only get the ABC feed off antenna, should I be able to get the other network stations from distant feeds?

·
Godfather
306 Posts
With the SD DVR, there is nothing but an antenna input and output to the TV. There is no program guide or recording capabilities. In fact, the manual tells you to turn OFF the receiver when watching OTA programming.

I don't know if the box adds or takes away anything, but I just decided to run the ANT to the TV myself.

Are you trying to get analog or digital signals?

That is a long way to Memphis, unless there is a repeater/retransmitter somewhere. Either way, a good place to start is antennaweb.org , follow the directions and you should be able to see where all of the transmitters are located, and what kind of antenna you might need to pick them up.

If there isn't a network in you area for locals, then you get the NY and LA feeds. For example, here we have Fox, NBC and CBS (CW) locals, the closest ABC is SF, and the closest PBS is San Jose. So we qualify for the ABC feeds, and national PBS.

Go Bears!
I'm all ready to crown their @$$e$!

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,882 Posts
Only the HD receivers from DirecTV have built in OTA guide data (DVR or non-DVR models). I was pretty sure that the Dish Network HD receivers did the same but could be wrong. But they are the digital signals, not SD/analog. I don't know of any receiver that gets analog OTA with guide data.

If you are that far from the network stations you may be able to get distants. You're losing your DNS from Dish because of the lawsuit. This doesn't effect DirecTV.

Put your address in here on the DirecTV web site and it will tell you if you qualify for distants: http://directvdnseligibility.decisionmark.com/app/AddressForm.aspx

80 miles from the towers is pretty tough. You'd need a very large antenna probably at least 20-30 feet in the air. The free one you get from DirecTV is pretty small and only good for 20-30 miles out or so, if that.

189 Posts
When I used the HR-10 receiver, I could get OTA station info on the receiver guides.
This station was PBS, not carried by DirecTv

·
Godfather
306 Posts
PackerFan said:

Thanks for any feedback.
Nope, DirecTV does not offer ANY DVR that is capable of recording OTA, not even top of the line.

·
Super Moderator
12,436 Posts
adam1115 said:
Nope, DirecTV does not offer ANY DVR that is capable of recording OTA, not even top of the line.
The HR10-250 records OTA. The HR20 will at some as yet to be determined future date, but does not today.

Carl

·
Godfather
306 Posts
carl6 said:
The HR10-250 records OTA. The HR20 will at some as yet to be determined future date, but does not today.

Carl
Ok, so what part of my statement was incorrect? The HR10-250 is discontinued. DirecTV does not offer ANY DVR that records OTA, period.

Nobody knows when or if the HR20 will do it, so would you honestly recommend people buy it banking on that??

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
adam1115 said:
Nobody knows when or if the HR20 will do it, so would you honestly recommend people buy it banking on that??
I wouldn't say nobody... :D

And yes... anyone intrested in an HD-DVR that is compatible with both DirecTV and OTA.... Then I would recommend the HR20..

As there is a pretty good chance, anyone ordering today... OTA will be available by the the time you have it installed.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,095 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
I wouldn't say nobody... :D

And yes... anyone intrested in an HD-DVR that is compatible with both DirecTV and OTA.... Then I would recommend the HR20..

As there is a pretty good chance, anyone ordering today... OTA will be available by the the time you have it installed.
Let it slip big guy or PM me :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.