DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· AllStar
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed a drop in the Fox (KTBC, ch. 7) signal strength in Austin within the last couple of weeks? It's essentially unwatchable for me now, with frequent dropouts. I haven't changed anything in my setup (E* 622 with amplified HD OTA antenna).

· Mentor/Supporter
122 Posts
Ditto, I live in RR and noticed drop outs. But I have always noticed that to some degree from FOX just not as bad as it has been.

· AllStar
63 Posts
i have constant blocking and "signal loss" messages with fox ota HD even though the signal strength appears to be in the low 90's. I don't believe it is a signal strength issue, but rather some type of coding issue on fox's end that is causing troubles with dish network decoders (622 and 211). in other words, i believe the local fox did some type of hardware or software upgrade on their end that has caused this issue.

5 Posts
I'm also having the same problems with KTBC HD on my Dish 411. It blocks about every 20 seconds and I get signal loss messages. Relocating the antenna has no effect. I have an 85% signal strength on KTBC and version L3.41 software.

To watch the Cowboy/ Giants game Sunday on KTBC HD I tried my old Dish 811 receiver with the same antenna and it worked fine all afternoon.

· AllStar
63 Posts
So whats the problem with fox? I hear it isn't just an austin,texas issue, but is happening in various cities around the US with FOX and dish hardware. For me, i have 622 and 211 and both have a problem with fox (constant blocking, etc, while signal strength remains very high). This problem with fox and the 622/211 did not exist at my house until about 2-3 months ago.

I also have a tv with built-in HD OTA tuner, this TV tuner, using the exact same feed as the dish hardware, has ZERO problems with the fox feed.

Anyone have ideas? Is this something fox has done or some type of software upgrade dish had done to ruin things?

5 Posts
Why would my old 811 still work with KTBC but not my 411? It could be the current software on the newer Dish HD receivers will not work properly with any off the air station using the 720p format. Only Fox 7 KTBC is using that format in Austin.

· AllStar
63 Posts
CricTic said:
Doesn't PBS HD also use 720p?
not sure, but i'll check tonight. i don't have a problem with pbs though with any of my tuners. Did dish do a software upgrade in the last month on both the 622 and 211? thats when the problem began, until then, everything was fine with fox.

my signal strength is 90-100 on all OTA's here in austin.

· Cool Member/Supporter
82 Posts
no problems with my Mits 65813 is dead on and locked with Fox .. but the 942 and 622 are now unwatchable... I even had to change the PVR recordings to SD for house and bones.. and others ... Fox 7 changed something about a month ago...

I have low 90's for fox and 85 > for the rest of the Austin HD channels. but I do have a out door 8' ant.

· Cool Member/Supporter
82 Posts
Gang, here is the reply I got from from Fox:

Dear Perry:

I am forwarding your email to our Vice President of Engineering so he can have someone in our engineering dept. get back to you regarding your technical question.

Thank you,
Holly Breaux
Program Director
KTBC FOX 7 Austin
512-495-7782

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.