DBSTalk Forum banner

OTA Guide data in markets that E* does not offer LiLs

716 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  CABill
Is guide data available for stations from markets that E* does not offer local channels ex Elmira NY, Wheeling WV/Steuebenville OH? Is their a way to make the guide data that the station is transmitting via their Digital OTA signal be used by the 622? Can you fool the receiver into thinking that the OTA staion is a different one, that E* does have guide data for? Can just generic CBS NBC Fox and ABC guide data be applied somehow to the stations, so that you can use name based recording with those channels?
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
i don't think you can "fool" the receiver. it picks up the station info from the OTA signal. I get channels from two different markets, and I have guide info for both (even though I subscribe to only one market). From what I gather, that info is provided by "Tribune Media"; its possible you will get the guide info as long as that station has their schedule linked w/ the service. I can't say for sure though.
Program info sent OTA is not really guide data in the sense that only the program being shown has programming data. Data for what is showing next is not part of the OTA spec.

I do however think it would be a nice feature to add the OTA transmitted program information to the INFO box you see when you press the INFO key on the remote.
The EPG data comes off the satellite, not the OTA station. Guide data transmitted OTA in most cases are very limited to the current program and what's next.

Tribune does provide EPG data for subchannels not carried by E* and those do show up on my 622, but only for the stations whose main channel is carried by E*.
Michael P said:
The EPG data comes off the satellite, not the OTA station. Guide data transmitted OTA in most cases are very limited to the current program and what's next.
I'd agree that it is limited, but one of my OTA digital stations fills out the OTA info for a full 7 days in advance. It is an exception. Several CECBs only display current and next program, even when lots more is available.

http://broadcastengineering.com/hdtv/psip-fcc/
doesn't list any minimum length of time into the future for EIT info. The FCC has issued a few statements about requiring accuracy and more than just now/next, but future EIT data may still be voluntary - dunno. But in the Sacto DMA, all channels except Fox have at least 24 hours of program name and show time. How much Program Info detail for each show varies quite a bit by channel and "age of show", with No Info for lots of old shows.

But I get WAY more than Now/Next on all my channels PSIP EIT info.

I get Sat info for the SF bay area channels in the DISH guide, but that is because I subscribe to Sacto locals. If DISH doesn't supply SD locals via sat in your DMA, you can't get the EPG info for ANY OTA channel with a ViP receiver.
See less See more
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.