DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JUst wondering as to why everyone likes the OTA HD over the HD channels we get through the D* satellite. What are the benefits of the OTA HD channels? Form what i have read in these forums is that they are mpeg-2 while the D* are mpeg-4? Not sure if i am right but please explain to me because i am lost.

·
Registered
12,591 Posts
We can debate the video quality of OTA HDTV vs. DirecTV's new MPEG4 HDTV local channels, but I think main benefit of having OTA reception along with your satellite-delivered channels is simply reception of the "lesser" channels in your area. DirecTV has only committed to provide the "major networks" -- CBS, NBC, ABC and Fox. In some cities they also provide CW, but that's rare. If you want any of the other HDTV channels in your area, you'll need an antenna and OTA tuners in your DVR/Receiver. And, even with those "major networks", if you want any of their subchannels (e.g. WeatherPlus or The Tube), you'll need need OTA reception.

·
Banned
686 Posts
OTA HD channels will always have better picture quality than the D* HD Locals, since the HD Locals are the OTA HD content transcoded to MPEG4. The transcoding will always cause degradation of picture quality. There's no debate here, its a simple fact.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.