DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hellyone eveyone longtime lurker

I hope someone can help with a OTA issue Im having since I had the 5 LNB dish installed. I went from a 3LNB HDTIVO to the 5 LNB with the HDTIVO and HR2-700 Hooked up.

DTV istalled a OTA antenna last year and used diplexers to combine the OTA feed and one of the SAT Feeds on the roof which went to the HDTIVO.

During the latest install they left the Diplexers on and routed all 4 feeds thru the Multiswitch.

Since then I intermintently get the searching for Antenna message. This causing me to miss recordings.

Looking thru the forum it seems diplexing will not work with the new sat frequencies correct ? I had Premiere out last night and they were clueless on how to fix the problem.

Does documentation exist that states the OTA feed must not be diplexed ?

Any sugeestions or help would be appreciated

thanks

Pat

·
Godfather
415 Posts
Yes, that is correct. With the 5 LNB dish, diplexing the OTA interferes with a range of bandwidth used for some of the received signals from the satellite. Since OTA on the HR20-700 is not enabled yet anyway, I'd disconnect the diplexed OTA cable from the satellite feed and see if your problems resolve. Once OTA is enabled, you'll have to run a separate coax line from the antenna to the box to use it.

·
Icon
968 Posts
i don't see where there is a question or a problem... you stated that the documentation says that you CANNNOT diplex an OTA feed (which is what you are trying to do).... clearly it doesn't work, which should be no surprise since the documentation states this.

·
Godfather
253 Posts
I am assuming your OTA is for another tuner and not the HR20. My initial guess is dish alignment and tightening it does once that is done. Another thought might be the B-Band Converters (BBC) coupler (little boxes with the coax connections on the connected to the HR20). Those are not doing anything "positive" currently. They will be needed next year when they activate more satellites. When the BBCs are utilized next year it will cause a problem with the OTA diplexing. I currently have OTA diplexed and my OTA and dish signal/reception is great. I remove the BBCs and see if your problem goes away, if not what does your signal meter say?

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dpfaunts said:
I am assuming your OTA is for another tuner and not the HR20. My initial guess is dish alignment and tightening it does once that is done. Another thought might be the B-Band Converters (BBC) coupler (little boxes with the coax connections on the connected to the HR20). Those are not doing anything "positive" currently. They will be needed next year when they activate more satellites. When the BBCs are utilized next year it will cause a problem with the OTA diplexing. I currently have OTA diplexed and my OTA and dish signal/reception is great. I remove the BBCs and see if your problem goes away, if not what does your signal meter say?
Thanks for the replies

It seems I did not explain the situation clearly. I am experiecing the issues on my HR10-250 which is still connected to the antenna. I get the sat channels fine it is the OTA HD Local channels which sometimes go away and I get the searching message.

I am assuming the easiest solution is to undiplex the antenna and run a direct feed to the HD Tivo correct?

I was asking where it states the OTA antenna can not be diplexed in any documenation so I can show the installers.

Pat

·
Icon
550 Posts
PJOHEARNE said:
Thanks for the replies

It seems I did not explain the situation clearly. I am experiecing the issues on my HR10-250 which is still connected to the antenna. I get the sat channels fine it is the OTA HD Local channels which sometimes go away and I get the searching message.

I am assuming the easiest solution is to undiplex the antenna and run a direct feed to the HD Tivo correct?

I was asking where it states the OTA antenna can not be diplexed in any documenation so I can show the installers.

Pat
In the documentation for the multiswitch it clearly states that you can not diplex OTA signals. I'm not sure if there is any other documentation on this though.

·
Godfather
253 Posts
What multiswitch are you using?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.