DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3lnb, I had OTA but had terrible trouble getting a clear signal, basically could only get CBS, some not at all, NBC and PBS only at night, but that was that. This made no sense to me becausze my nighbors get a clear signal OTA (this is a very long story I am condensing, so bel;ieve me I have heard all the adive on OTA antennas, etc., trust me I did them all). So after whining and DTV credits and tech calls, one tach told me that the reciever caused some signal loss and I might want to plug the OTA directly into the TV. That made no sense to me as recievers usually boost the signal a bit, but I tried it and WOW, the signal was perfect, just could not use the Tivo that way.

The HR20 had no OTA for a while, but I get all my locals except CBS, PBS and an indy channel that shows some HD sports. Now OTA was activated last night. I want to record and set it up, but if the HR20 also has signal loss like the Tivo VR did, i'll be wasting my time as the signal is unreliable.

I know this is lontg but basically I am asking if anyone has seen or knows if there is a similar slight loss of signal strength by running the OTA through the HR20? I know it makes no sense but trust me there was on the old Tivo HD DVR that worked with the 3 lnb (or at least makes no sense to me). Maybe it was noly an issue to me as I may get a marginal signal anyway, but does anyone know?

Thanks

· Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kentstater said:
My signal strength is much better with the HR20 than with the 10-250.
I assume that is the number for my old Tivo HD DVR, if so, that's good maybe i'll try it out. It's just a major pain to move my TV and get to the connection, so that's why i asked because I would just as soon leave it as is if I am going to lose signal strength and just not be able to tape those shows.

· Hall Of Fame
12,954 Posts
My experience with the HR10 is that it is extremely sensitive to multipath.

The meter doesn't measure strength as much as clean signal (error rate), and multipath can cause a big problem.

The HR10 is also reportedly sensitive to signal overload (you didn't say how far you are from the towers).

· Legend
113 Posts
My OTA signal strength is much better on the HR20 vs. the HR10-250. Some channels I was unable to lock on are now viewable.

· Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
sharpmibo said:
My OTA signal strength is much better on the HR20 vs. the HR10-250. Some channels I was unable to lock on are now viewable.
I believe that the meters on both the HR10 and HR20 aren't showing strength but rather signal quality (of which strength is one component).

I agree w/ the posters above about the HR20 improvements over the HR10 in terms of rejecting multipath. I have a slight problem w/ one channel on the HR10 that the HR20 handles nicely.

1 Posts
litzdog911 said:
My HR20's OTA tuner is better than my HR10-250. I pick up a couple more stations and it seems to be less sensitive to multipath.
can you tell me how the hr20 runs compared to the tivo 10-250. reation time, using the remote, speed of fast forward, consistency of recording.

i see a lot of people haveing a lot of problems on these sites

thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.