DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I am missing something, but if your locals are available via satellite, why do you need OTA?

Not to offend anyone, this is just a question. I will be able to receive my locals via AT9 as of Friday. Do I really need OTA?

Thanks!

·
Legend in his own mind...
324 Posts
disneyfreak said:
Maybe I am missing something, but if your locals are available via satellite, why do you need OTA?

Not to offend anyone, this is just a question. I will be able to receive my locals via AT9 as of Friday. Do I really need OTA?

Thanks!
Some don't get HD locals through dish. For those that do, not all channels are delivered via the dish. Those that are come through at a lower quality than OTA. Also, no subchannels are delivered via the dish. OTA rarely goes out due to rain fade (if it does, your house is probably gone).

·
Icon
731 Posts
Smells like trolling to me! Been hashed too often I won't even tell you. :)

OK.. I'll bite again.... I get 4,5,9,11 locals in HD. THAT'S IT!

With OTA that will increase to 14 channels! Four PBS channels for example... 29, 41, two 11's (NBC) etc.

·
Passed away April 24, 2010
608 Posts
disneyfreak said:

Thanks!
Your answer is in your first sentence. Jacksonville has been re-scheduled for HD locals until February, 2007 (according to the last two CSRs I talked to). Without an active OTA tuner, I have no way to record any of the network HD shows.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
disneyfreak said:

Thanks!
You may want to read this:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=72097

·
Icon
968 Posts
why do we need friggin 500 threads about people who don't think OTA is a big deal or don't understand it. seriously, do a little reading before putting this crap on here.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Patience friend, patience. There are always people sliding by for the first time. If you don't want to help them or are annoyed by their questions, then please just ignore them and let those of us willing to help them out do so. Ya never know where the next Great Earl may come from and they won't get the chance to develop if we scare them away with our irritability.

·
Legend in his own mind...
324 Posts
Everyone needs to calm down. User joined Dec 03, and has fewer than 5 posts.

Do you greet every new guest this way?

·
DBSTalk Club Member
270 Posts
Thank you Hasan... I am again amazed by the folks who consider themselves the forum police when the option to just not read it is always available. Always makes me wonder how many new folks get scared away when they ask one innocent question.

Paul

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
hasan said:
Patience friend, patience. There are always people sliding by for the first time. If you don't want to help them or are annoyed by their questions, then please just ignore them and let those of us willing to help them out do so. Ya never know where the next Great Earl may come from and they won't get the chance to develop if we scare them away with our irritability.
To get an idea on where "humble" beginnings are..

http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23214

This was my first "TiVo" related post, at TCF

WE where ALL newbies once...

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
Yeah - so what is the big deal anyway? Mine's already running! :p

hasan said:

Attachments

·
Icon
764 Posts
byron said:
why do we need friggin 500 threads about people who don't think OTA is a big deal or don't understand it. seriously, do a little reading before putting this crap on here.
People like you really slay me. I have been reading this forum for over a week, and nowhere does it ever explain WHY everyone is aching for OTA. I waited a week until I asked this same question, some 3-5 mins before this OP did. And somebody was kind enuf to explain it, then he did again to this fellow. If life is that hard for you here, try watching tv. Pardon us for being human. Enjoy the forum, I guess it belongs to you?? I wonder how many questions you have asked that some might consider "crap"

·
Hall Of Fame
2,014 Posts
So, what happened to the standalone TiVo, Earl?

·
Hall Of Fame
2,670 Posts
I live 57.5 miles from the transmitters (Reno) so I'll never need OTA. All I miss is the local CW (I only watch Supernatural there anyway). Eventually, even that channel will be on D* HD, and then I'll miss nothing (Reno PBS is the most pathetic outfit out there, they aren't in HD, and they will probably never change until forced to by law).

·
Icon
875 Posts
Oh, what the heck. Let me chime in with my list....

1. MPEG4 quality from DirecTV is currently poor (at least in my market), and one can argue that due to processing will never look as good as the original ATSC broadcast.
2. DirecTV will never carry ALL (if ANY of) the sub-channels my local stations provide that you can get over the air.
3. OTA broadcasts are not subject to rain fade, as are satellite-delivered channels.
4. It says it will on the side of the box! ;)

Mike Nassour

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
bidger said:
So, what happened to the standalone TiVo, Earl?
My brother-in-law is still using it.
The DTivo in question in that post (the GXCEBOT) was sold about a year later on ebay for $250... as at that point, Series 2's where not hackable.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Capmeister said:
Impossible! You're a D* AI program invented to placate us! ;)
By Golly, you have it...no wonder he appears to display such patience and equanimity...silicon is infinitely patient and not subject to the failings of "chemical imbalance"...who'da thunk it!:D

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
islesfan said:
I live 57.5 miles from the transmitters (Reno) so I'll never need OTA. All I miss is the local CW (I only watch Supernatural there anyway). Eventually, even that channel will be on D* HD, and then I'll miss nothing (Reno PBS is the most pathetic outfit out there, they aren't in HD, and they will probably never change until forced to by law).
islesfan,

60 miles is not impossible--unless you have mountains between you and towers or you are in an apartment where you can't lift an outdoor antenna.

Just food for thought...
Tom

·
Icon
875 Posts
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.