Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 538 Posts

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please don't shoot the messenger but...

I think that we will soon hear that OTA is Now Delayed Until "Early 2007"

I sometimes am able to speak to a liasson-type person who will give me some insight. None of this is official and by no means is this person high ranked.

The OTA delay was formally decided on 11/21/06 and was to be public within seven days. Seven days was yesterday and still nothing official.

What does "Early 2007" mean?
Q1 2007 but even April still qualifies. 2005 and 6 were promises. Feb 2007 is when the analysts will want to see the completed items on the punch list.

Why the delay?
I am told that it was delayed as they focus on stabillizing existing features. OTA has been working in test for some time.

Is there any hope for OTA still in 2006?
I was told that there is always hope but don't place a bet on it.

Are HD Locals on Track?
Local HD is no replacement for OTA, but it is better than not having local HD. 65.7% of D* households now have HD locals. The next HD DMAs are still on track for Q4 2006 but bear in mind that those 15 markets combined are smaller than New Yord alone. The last 100 DMAs are smaller than the first two (NY, LA). Each new market added from here on has less than 1/2% impact.

I too am very disappointed. I am missing 4 PBS channels and subchannels, 2 MTN, and 5 other OTA HD's. Plus we still have the 12 other flaws and missing features and 52 items in the wishlist links below...

I hate to sound so cynical about OTA but won't they lose $10 per month times a lot of households once HD OTA is available for free?

Again, please do not shoot the messenger.

- Craig

·
Hall Of Fame
1,914 Posts
Milominderbinder2 said:
I hate to sound so cynical about OTA but won't they lose $10 per month times a lot of households once HD OTA is available for free?
Craig
HD LIL is not tied in the HD Package if that's what you're getting at.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
As I have said in the few other threads...

As of right now:

Yes, that is the information the CSR level has been given.

But as of this moment, I have no information to confirm or deny it.

·
Banned
63 Posts
Milominderbinder2 said:
Please don't shoot the messenger but...

I think that we will soon hear that OTA is Now Delayed Until "Early 2007"

I sometimes am able to speak to a liasson-type person who will give me some insight. None of this is official and by no means is this person high ranked.

The OTA delay was formally decided on 11/21/06 and was to be public within seven days. Seven days was yesterday and still nothing official.

What does "Early 2007" mean?
Q1 2007 but even April still qualifies. 2005 and 6 were promises. Feb 2007 is when the analysts will want to see the completed items on the punch list.

Why the delay?
I am told that it was delayed as they focus on stabillizing existing features. OTA has been working in test for some time.

Is there any hope for OTA still in 2006?
I was told that there is always hope but don't place a bet on it.

Are HD Locals on Track?
Local HD is no replacement for OTA, but it is better than not having local HD. 65.7% of D* households now have HD locals. The next HD DMAs are still on track for Q4 2006 but bear in mind that those 15 markets combined are smaller than New Yord alone. The last 100 DMAs are smaller than the first two (NY, LA). Each new market added from here on has less than 1/2% impact.

I too am very disappointed. I am missing 4 PBS channels and subchannels, 2 MTN, and 5 other OTA HD's. Plus we still have the 12 other flaws and missing features and 52 items in the wishlist links below...

Again, please do not shoot the messenger.

- Craig
Can you provide more information as to your source, did you read this on the web? Can you provide a url?

If this is true, DirecTV will get in trouble for false advertising on the equipment (HR20) they have printed. The public purchased these boxes with the belief that OTA would be enabled late 2006. It only raised more doubts on promises they have made about programming. Maybe they really are not launching satellites next year or offering 150 national HD channels. Well it maybe time to switch to FiOS or Dish.

·
Godfather
304 Posts
Not even remotely surprised...
D* seems to be leading the way in unfulfilled "promises" and release dates.
Oh well, I hate it for the folks that don't have HD Locals - that sucks, but hopefully they weren't really counting on D* coming thru with OTA any time soon... I think Earl has no choice but to be very, very secretive about releases b/c it seems to be so sketchy.
Again, as it's been said a million times on this site, make the HR20 a reliable DVR for *everyone* then start adding other features.
Thanks for the info - who knows if it's even completely reliable... :lol:
Let the ranting begin (maybe not)

·
AllStar
61 Posts
This confirms what I found out last night. Say goodbye to Dec 1st release. However feel free to call DTV and speak to a retention CSR and I can tell you that they definitely hooked me up with a decent sized credit.

This is unacceptable tho, not a good way to treat your customers... Then again I dont think they really care what we think :nono2:

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Again:

His source, at least for the "delayed to 2007" is from the CSR Tier.
There is no doubt that is the information they where given last night, as I received PM's from a bunch of people.

As for the "rest" of it, I'll let the OP describe.

As for the "all hell is going to brake lose"
Let's all take a big deep breath, and wait.

·
Mentor
49 Posts
If this news is true it makes me want to ask if anyone here has ever experienced Cox HD service in Hampton Roads, VA.

I generally try to avoid using any Cox service, which is why I went w/ D* in the first place, but I have a 1080i HD Tv and I want to use it to at least 90% of its functionality, not beta test with it.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,435 Posts
spivey said:
If this news is true it makes me want to ask if anyone here has ever experienced Cox HD service in Hampton Roads, VA.
As a relative of mine who endures Cox describes it: it's not service, it is "treatment".

That being said, Cox may be the best alternative to tide you over until a year from now when DirecTV gets HD rolling. The other option requires an 18 month commitment.

·
AllStar
61 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Again:

His source, at least for the "delayed to 2007" is from the CSR Tier.
There is no doubt that is the information they where given last night, as I received PM's from a bunch of people.
Earl do you really think that DTV execs would provide an update like that if it wasnt true? Not to mention they provided the update to their median to the end user. I think its fairly obvious that DTV couldnt deliver the Dec. 1st date and now we are going to get a general date as we did when we first got the "Late 06" date when we got our HR20's.

I'm upset because I would have never kept this DVR if I knew that OTA wasnt going to be activated until early next year! Come on DTV is really testing customers patience.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,435 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
As for the "all hell is going to brake lose"
Let's all take a big deep breath, and wait.
You should use this as your tagline.

Maybe E* will trade its DNS customers for D*'s customers that have OTA access.

·
Mentor
49 Posts
harsh said:
As a relative of mine who endures Cox describes it: it's not service, it is "treatment".

That being said, Cox may be the best alternative to tide you over until a year from now when DirecTV gets HD rolling. The other option requires an 18 month commitment.
Treatment? As in good? Or as in the "silent treatment" which is what I used to get from them when I had problems?

And what would require an 18 month agreement? Is there another tv service provider in this area?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
bigdeps said:
Earl do you really think that DTV execs would provide an update like that if it wasnt true? Not to mention they provided the update to their median to the end user. I think its fairly obvious that DTV couldnt deliver the Dec. 1st date and now we are going to get a general date as we did when we first got the "Late 06" date when we got our HR20's.
Yes... as often is the case... one hand doesn't talk to the other.

And actually... it is not failry obvious, and I really wish I could tell you why.
I really do... but I can't.

Also, the Dec 1st wasn't a practical date (simply because it was on a Friday), for releasing such a major software enhancement.

My take on it right now, based on all the pieces of information I have.
Is that there is a disconnection between the technical side of DirecTV and the Customer Service side of things.

Anyone remember back on August 15th what the CSRs where saying about the release date of the HR20?

Once I have some information to share... I'll share it... but for now, basically your HR20 operates the same as it did when you woke up this morning.

·
Legend
188 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Yes... as often is the case... one hand doesn't talk to the other.

And actually... it is not failry obvious, and I really wish I could tell you why.
I really do... but I can't.

Also, the Dec 1st wasn't a practical date (simply because it was on a Friday), for releasing such a major software enhancement.

My take on it right now, based on all the pieces of information I have.
Is that there is a disconnection between the technical side of DirecTV and the Customer Service side of things.

Anyone remember back on August 15th what the CSRs where saying about the release date of the HR20?

Once I have some information to share... I'll share it... but for now, basically your HR20 operates the same as it did when you woke up this morning.
Ever consider working fo the Bush Administration Earl? Stay the course...

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
21hawk said:
Ever consider working fo the Bush Administration Earl? Stay the course...
Hell no....

I do however believe in not jumping over the edge, but finding a way around the cliff.

·
Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08
5,222 Posts
If true, I have to admit some surprise. While I didn't think it was happening this or even next week, I expected it before Christmas.

I am disapointed if we will not have OTA until after the first of the year.

·
AllStar
61 Posts
Capmeister said:
If true, I have to admit some surprise. While I didn't think it was happening this or even next week, I expected it before Christmas.

I am disapointed if we will not have OTA until after the first of the year.
I'm kinda in the same boat. Alot of big time shows start up in January and since we will be without 2 major networks in HD it looks like I'll be watching SD garbage. I swear if it wasnt for the NFL ST I would be outta here. They should have never commited to a time frame if they couldnt deliver. End of story.

·
Banned
63 Posts
bigdeps said:
I'm kinda in the same boat. Alot of big time shows start up in January and since we will be without 2 major networks in HD it looks like I'll be watching SD garbage. I swear if it wasnt for the NFL ST I would be outta here. They should have never commited to a time frame if they couldnt deliver. End of story.
Your so right about that. American Idol, The Apprentice LA and many more in January.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,014 Posts
Before this gets out of control I'm going to shut it down. If you called DirecTV and were given this information... act accordingly. If you want to call somebody, those examples have been given over and over, no need to rehash.

1 - 20 of 538 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.