DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Icon
Joined
·
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I see all this talk about OTA locals, and as someone who has, since day one with D* gotten his SD locals as part of my total choice packages, I would like to understand how this would work with my upcoming HR20. This is my current scenario:

Some HD Locals through D* (four major nets)
Some HD Locals through basic cable (CW, PBS, MyNetwork, a few others)

So my questions are:
1) Will the HR20 pickup my OTA through basic cable or does it have to be antenna based?
2) If the answer to 1) is yes, then, will the guide in the HR20 recognize those channels?
3) If it recognizes those channels, will it record them?

I'm assuming if the guide recognizes them, then tuning to them will be as simple as punching in the channels as they appear on my basic cable (##-##)

I know this is probably buried deep in this forum somewhere, but it would take me HOURS to sift through all the threads on OTA to find it and the few that I have sifted through do not explain it.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
13 Posts
1.) It has to pickup OTA through an antenna, though it is not activated yet on the HR20 units. It is hopeful it will be activated soon, so you are stuck with HD locals through D*.
3.) Once it is activated, it will record them.

Steveknj said:
OK, I see all this talk about OTA locals, and as someone who has, since day one with D* gotten his SD locals as part of my total choice packages, I would like to understand how this would work with my upcoming HR20. This is my current scenario:

Some HD Locals through D* (four major nets)
Some HD Locals through basic cable (CW, PBS, MyNetwork, a few others)

So my questions are:
1) Will the HR20 pickup my OTA through basic cable or does it have to be antenna based?
2) If the answer to 1) is yes, then, will the guide in the HR20 recognize those channels?
3) If it recognizes those channels, will it record them?

I'm assuming if the guide recognizes them, then tuning to them will be as simple as punching in the channels as they appear on my basic cable (##-##)

I know this is probably buried deep in this forum somewhere, but it would take me HOURS to sift through all the threads on OTA to find it and the few that I have sifted through do not explain it.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
1) No; Only Antenna Based... the tuners are only ATSC compatible
2) See #1
3) See #2

To elaborate though:
For #2; It will recognize those that you get via Antenna
For #3; Yes it wil record them
and it will list them as ##-##
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,957 Posts
Steveknj said:
OK, I see all this talk about OTA locals, and as someone who has, since day one with D* gotten his SD locals as part of my total choice packages, I would like to understand how this would work with my upcoming HR20. This is my current scenario:

Some HD Locals through D* (four major nets)
Some HD Locals through basic cable (CW, PBS, MyNetwork, a few others)

So my questions are:
1) Will the HR20 pickup my OTA through basic cable or does it have to be antenna based?
2) If the answer to 1) is yes, then, will the guide in the HR20 recognize those channels?
3) If it recognizes those channels, will it record them?

I'm assuming if the guide recognizes them, then tuning to them will be as simple as punching in the channels as they appear on my basic cable (##-##)

I know this is probably buried deep in this forum somewhere, but it would take me HOURS to sift through all the threads on OTA to find it and the few that I have sifted through do not explain it.
OTA has nothing to do with basic cable and the HR20 has no cable receiver in it. It has ONLY an OTA ATSC (digital) receiver.

You will need an antenna...how good a one is determined by going to antennaweb.org, typing in your zip code and it will tell you what you can use.

The HR20 will integrate your OTA-HD stations into the program guide automagically. They will appear with 8-1, 13-2 ....sort of formats...always with the "-"

You will be able to record the following simultaneously (and watch a program you have already recorded earlier):

2 OTA-HD Channels (at the same time)

or

1 OTA-HD and 1 Sat Channel (at the same time)

or

2 Sat Channels (at the same time)

When you are recording two channels at the same time (OTA or Sat), you CANNOT watch a 3rd channel...your only option once both tuners are busy is to watch a movie or program you had previously recorded. (I think this is how it works...it's been a while since I did it)

The manual says you can do 3 recordings at once...IT IS WRONG.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
1) No; Only Antenna Based... the tuners are only ATSC compatible
2) See #1
3) See #2

To elaborate though:
For #2; It will recognize those that you get via Antenna
For #3; Yes it wil record them
and it will list them as ##-##
Shoot, I was hoping it would work with my basic cable connection!! I know that works with my QAM tuner, so I can pick the locals up without a cable box. Unfortunately, I have no luck where I am with antennas. For some reason, I'm far enough away from New York City or Philadelphia that hardly anything comes through via antenna, and that antenna website shows I'd need some pretty heavy duty outdoor antenna to pick up anything.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hasan said:
OTA has nothing to do with basic cable and the HR20 has no cable receiver in it. It has ONLY an OTA ATSC (digital) receiver.

You will need an antenna...how good a one is determined by going to antennaweb.org, typing in your zip code and it will tell you what you can use.

The HR20 will integrate your OTA-HD stations into the program guide automagically. They will appear with 8-1, 13-2 ....sort of formats...always with the "-"

You will be able to record the following simultaneously (and watch a program you have already recorded earlier):

2 OTA-HD Channels (at the same time)

or

1 OTA-HD and 1 Sat Channel (at the same time)

or

2 Sat Channels (at the same time)

When you are recording two channels at the same time (OTA or Sat), you CANNOT watch a 3rd channel...your only option once both tuners are busy is to watch a movie or program you had previously recorded. (I think this is how it works...it's been a while since I did it)

The manual says you can do 3 recordings at once...IT IS WRONG.
I'm a bit new on all this HD jargon. my QAM tuner is NOT the same as ATSC? So obviously, if they aren't the same, then there's no QAM tuner in the HR20. I've got the recording methods down (owned SD D*Tivos for a few years now), and I couldn't imagine how you could record 3 show with 2 tuners!!
 

·
You make it, We break it
Joined
·
4,722 Posts
Just to be clear, if you currently get your HD locals over the SAT, that will continue with the HR-20, so you won't need an antenna, at least for the 4 majors in HD. The remaining you'd be SOL on until they're added or you use an antenna. Just wanted to clear that up in case there was confusion for the OP.

I don't know what a QAM tuner is, but can we assume you can at least hook that to your TV? If that's the case, you won't be abl to record those remaining channels, but at least you could view them. Guess it just depends on how much trouble you want to go throught to be able to record those remaining channels.

Steveknj said:
Some HD Locals through D* (four major nets)
Some HD Locals through basic cable (CW, PBS, MyNetwork, a few others)
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
Steveknj said:
I'm a bit new on all this HD jargon. my QAM tuner is NOT the same as ATSC? So obviously, if they aren't the same, then there's no QAM tuner in the HR20. I've got the recording methods down (owned SD D*Tivos for a few years now), and I couldn't imagine how you could record 3 show with 2 tuners!!
That is correct:
QAM <> ATSC
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
132 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
1)
To elaborate though:
For #2; It will recognize those that you get via Antenna
For #3; Yes it wil record them
and it will list them as ##-##
Only Earl knows what Earl's HR20 is doing but for the above to apply to most HR20's, substitute "will eventually but not at present" for each instance of "will" above.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,718 Posts
QAM tuners are AWESOME if you're already got a cable signal for internet. I finally did a scan on our living room tv & now IF D* has weather or tech issues, we can watch HD locals, free HBO, a free PPV movie feed, or Playboy network (although theres no sound on Playboy and many other channels we shouldn't get). ;-)
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
150 Posts
Steveknj said:
I'm a bit new on all this HD jargon. my QAM tuner is NOT the same as ATSC? So obviously, if they aren't the same, then there's no QAM tuner in the HR20. I've got the recording methods down (owned SD D*Tivos for a few years now), and I couldn't imagine how you could record 3 show with 2 tuners!!
Basically, ATSC is the standard used for terrestrial broadcast television. This is what will replace analog NTSC broadcast by 2009. Most network affiliates now broadcast NTSC and ATSC simultaneously on different frequencies.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC

"The ATSC standards are intended to replace the NTSC system used mostly in North America. The high definition television standards under the ATSC regime produce wide screen 16:9 images up to 1920×1080 pixels in size - more than six times the display resolution of the earlier standard. However, a host of different image sizes are also supported, so that up to six standard-definition "virtual channels" can be broadcast on a single TV station using the existing 6MHz channel."
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
102 Posts
Bad Rex said:
Only Earl knows what Earl's HR20 is doing but for the above to apply to most HR20's, substitute "will eventually but not at present" for each instance of "will" above.
I agree, I hope Earl's OTA enabled box is being used to test this new release... :hurah:
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top