DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
DBSTalk Club Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When they finally turn on OTA on the HR20 will there be any difference between recording from the OTA tuner vs. MPEG-4?

Picture Quality, Hard Drive Space, Guide Information, Series Link, etc.

·
Cool Member
30 Posts
as far as I know the OTA stuff is mp2. The mp4 is higher compression. Supposedly from what Ive read here that the OTA is better resolution then the mp4. How much more? I dunno. As far as the series link and guide info Im sure its all the same. Hard drive space...obviously the mp2 takes up more HDD space then the mp4.

·
AllStar
79 Posts
l8nitr said:
When they finally turn on OTA on the HR20 will there be any difference between recording from the OTA tuner vs. MPEG-4?

I'm sure by the time I'm done typing someone will have answered it better than me, but I'm going to try anyway -- feel like I need to contribute more than just rants :).

Picture Quality: that seems to be a matter of opinion. Many folks here have said they see no difference. I still do not have a 5lnb dish, so I haven't seen the MPEG4 locals yet, and my HR10 is gone, so until OTA is enabled I wouldn't be able to compare anyway except from memory. The bottom line is, the OTA signal is less compressed than off DTV, because bandwidth usage really isn't an issue with OTA, so the *potential* is there for OTA to be better than off DTV.

Hard Drive Space: The unit says it can hold 30ish hours of MPEG2 HD, which OTA is, or 50ish hours of MPEG4 HD, so that means OTA will take up not quite twice the space of MPEG4. I don't know if OTA uses the same or less compression than the MPEG2 HD off the satellite, like the 70-80 channels.

I have no idea what the guide will look like once OTA is activated, but I would guess that there will be 3 channels for any channel that is available OTA in HD once you also have MPEG4 HD (one for OTA HD, one for MPEG4 HD, one for SD from the dish). I don't know what will happen to all my SeriesLinks, but I would hope they would remain set up on SD unless I tell them to do otherwise.

-- robert

·
Banned
614 Posts
l8nitr said:

The OTA is going to be recorded in MPEG2, which means HD programming you can record up to 30 hours. When using the MPEG4 thru satellite 99 or 103 you can record up to 50 hours of HD programming. SD programming regardless of the format should be approximately 200 hours.

MPEG4 is supposed to be better picture quality then MPEG2. I guess it depends to on the type of HDTV your using to see differences to the naked eye.

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
The OTA is going to be recorded in MPEG2, which means HD programming you can record up to 30 hours. When using the MPEG4 thru satellite 99 or 103 you can record up to 50 hours of HD programming. SD programming regardless of the format should be approximately 200 hours.

MPEG4 is supposed to be better picture quality then MPEG2. I guess it depends to on the type of HDTV your using to see differences to the naked eye.
MPEG4 CAN look great, and often does on DTV, but the varying compression rates they're clearly using as they try to cut up the restricted bandwidth can be very noticable. Football on NBC via HD MPEG4 last night was dark, pixelated, and looked like a videogame with a bad frame-rate; OTA (via HD-Tivo) looked stunning.

Other times I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between OTA and SAT, so I believe they are altering the bit rates based on MPEG4 receiver adoption rates etc.

·
Legend
113 Posts
Compression schemes, be it MPEG2, MPEG4, H.263, or H.264, per say, do not determine output picture resolution. What they do vary on is the compression rates achieved. If the compression is greater then more bits can be delivered for the same satellite bandwidth. This extra capacity can be spent to provide better resolution or carry more video channels (in D*, more local channels).

OTA HD digital channels carry 1,2,3 or more separate channels. One is typically dedicated to the HD channel, with several SD or lower resolution channels. A weather/ local forecast channel that updates every few seconds takes very little of the 16 Mbps available from the OTA RF channel. An old B/W film can get by with as little as 400 Kbps. Cellphones are using MPEG4 for video compression but surely are not considered high definition TV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.