DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mentor
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 622 receiver and live in Richland, Mi where we don't have HD locals. I am unwilling to put up and antenna on my roof but thought I might try a rabbit ear antenna. My question is: If the antenna is going to work, will it be all or nothing? In otherwords, if it does pick up the station will it be clear?

·
Icon
1,029 Posts
It is not really all or nothing. All implies great signal and no problems. Nothing implies no signal at all. If you have a marginal antenna situation, you could be plagued with dropouts, freezing, pixelization or blocking in your picture. This can be quite distracting during a program, sometimes worse than a fuzzy analog signal. The picture when it is there will be clear but that isn't always the entire story. You will have to try the rabbit ears to see the results. If you are close, they may work.

..Doyle

·
9 Posts
If you catch the digital signal, it will be clear in that there will be no "snow" in the picture. However, if it is a weak signal, you can have some digital blocking/freezing, which can be more annoying than a snowy analog screen.

·
Legend
109 Posts
I've not gotten the HD stb yet. In fact just got my 1st HDTV yesterday. I had a clip on antenna (that powers via the receiver) already installed (shares the sat line into the house).

On my old TV it wasn't stable enough to consider dropping locals. It's not without some problems, but I think if I tweek the position on the dish I can live with it until Dish gets my locals in HD. If memory serves I positioned it to get the most stations rather than the easiest to get a strong signal from and I seem to be getting signal dropout off & on.

Clip ons work better for some people than others. So it's kinda trial & error. But it beats nothing. All I can say is I'm glad I had it so I could FINALLY see why people go so goo goo over HDTV. Now IR12. :D

·
Hall Of Fame
3,180 Posts
At a 70 signal, you should not have any problems, at 60-65 there may be dropouts and pixelation. I would aim to get the channels you want so all levels are at 70 or above. It also helps if the antenna pole is securely fastened to be level and does not turn in high winds with a cross bar. The more secure the better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.