DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Godfather
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that OTA is being enabled, one thing that came to mind is the "50 hours" of HD, and the fact that this will be significantly less with OTA.

OTA is less compressed (or so I've heard repeatedly on here), and I'm sure the HR20 isn't transcoding it when recording. So folks should probably be aware that OTA recordings may consume a lot more disk space than normal MPEG4 sat locals.

And if it IS transcoding them, I'd be worried about the ability of the unit to keep up with the transcoding, while still doing the other background tasks or recording OTA and another HD channel from the sat.

Earl - any idea how much more space the OTA stuff will take up (on average, I know some channels compress more/less) relative to the MPEG4/2 HD sat feeds? Do you know if it's doing any kind of transcoding?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,914 Posts
It should be 30 hrs uncompressed mpeg-2 HD, like the HR10-250.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
The HR20 is just saving the MPEG2/4 streams to disk, not transcoding anything. I would guess that folks who record a lot of MPEG2 HD from the national HD package channels will have a good idea how much space OTA HD will be taking up. I would estimate it at about 20 - 30 hours, total, about on par as old Series 1 Tivos used to do with MPEG2 SD stuff with their little 40 gig hard drives.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
jkc120 said:
So now that OTA is being enabled, one thing that came to mind is the "50 hours" of HD, and the fact that this will be significantly less with OTA.

OTA is less compressed (or so I've heard repeatedly on here), and I'm sure the HR20 isn't transcoding it when recording. So folks should probably be aware that OTA recordings may consume a lot more disk space than normal MPEG4 sat locals.

And if it IS transcoding them, I'd be worried about the ability of the unit to keep up with the transcoding, while still doing the other background tasks or recording OTA and another HD channel from the sat.

Earl - any idea how much more space the OTA stuff will take up (on average, I know some channels compress more/less) relative to the MPEG4/2 HD sat feeds? Do you know if it's doing any kind of transcoding?
I can't speak for Earl but I do believe the unit will record the full MPEG-2 quality of the broadcast (meaning no transcoding). 1 hour of OTA should be equal to 1 hour of recording ESPN-HD or Discovery HD.

·
Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08
5,222 Posts
It doesn't say you get 50, it says UP TO.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
mikeny said:
It should be 30 hrs uncompressed mpeg-2 HD, like the HR10-250.
MPEG2 is compressed already, but the HR20 does not compress it further.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,914 Posts
Radio Enginerd said:
I can't speak for Earl but I do believe the unit will record the full MPEG-2 quality of the broadcast (meaning no transcoding). 1 hour of OTA should be equal (unless I've missed something) to 1 hour of recording ESPN-HD or Discovery HD.
Yeah, but rumor has it that D* compresses and reduces the resolution of their HD so, it theirs takes less space.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Radio Enginerd said:
1 hour of OTA should be equal to 1 hour of recording ESPN-HD or Discovery HD.
Not always true. Different programs will take up different amounts of space.

On average.. you will get 20 ~ 30 hours of MPEG-2 recording space.

A LIVE OTA 3.5hr Football game, will probably take up around 15% of your drive space.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
2,533 Posts
LameLefty said:
Maybe they'll include WinZip in the next download...:computer:

·
Hall Of Fame
1,914 Posts
LameLefty said:
Yes, but I was referring the the reduction of the bitrates that D* supposedly practices.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Coffey77 said:
Maybe they'll include WinZip in the next download...:computer:
:D I like the idea... but sadly, WinZip has little effect on MPEG encoded files.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Not always true. Different programs will take up different amounts of space.

On average.. you will get 20 ~ 30 hours of MPEG-2 recording space.

A LIVE OTA 3.5hr Football game, will probably take up around 15% of your drive space.
Hence why I said "should be" in my post. Air on the side of caution. :)

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
mikeny said:
Yeah, but rumor has it that D* compresses and reduces the resolution of their HD so, it theirs takes less space.
Compresses maybe but I don't believe DTV changes the resolution.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Radio Enginerd said:
Compresses maybe but I don't believe DTV changes the resolution.
On the MPEG-2, there is an altered resolution (re: HD-Lite argument)
ON the MPEG-4 though, there is no altered resolution.

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
ON the MPEG-4 though, there is no altered resolution.
Oh god, don't say that over on AVS. The DirecTV haters insist that the resolution on the MPEG4 channels is being chopped just like on the MPEG2 channels.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Jeremy W said:
Oh god, don't say that over on AVS. The DirecTV haters insist that the resolution on the MPEG4 channels is being chopped just like on the MPEG2 channels.
Well until they can pony up resolution facts to change that....

I have been told the MPEG-4 is exactly what they receive from the affiliates, just compressed to MPEG-4

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Well until they can pony up resolution facts to change that....
Yeah, they refuse to show anything. It's just "I've checked it out, trust me!" and nothing more. I suspect the issue will never be put to rest unless/until someone is able to extract the video from the HR20.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.