DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Cool Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got two hr20-700s receivers and a 5lnb dish upgrade. The receivers work fine but they don't function with OTA antenna. In fact you can't even select Antenna Setup in the menu. Directv says they shouldn't work yet. I have read threads about the h20 andhr20 working on OTA. Can someone explain the apparent contradiction? D* says the software upgrade to turn on the OTA isn't due til early 2007? Thanks

·
Godfather
310 Posts
catman915 said:
I recently got two hr20-700s receivers and a 5lnb dish upgrade. The receivers work fine but they don't function with OTA antenna. In fact you can't even select Antenna Setup in the menu. Directv says they shouldn't work yet. I have read threads about the h20 andhr20 working on OTA. Can someone explain the apparent contradiction? D* says the software upgrade to turn on the OTA isn't due til early 2007? Thanks
The update to turn OTA on has already been realeased to a very small group out west. There are threads all over about it! take a look around. It won't be long!

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Welcome to the forums, catman915. :welcome_s

The current hope is that you will have the upgraded software very soon this week.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
catman915 said:
By the way, anybody know what the software release is that turns it on?
Not to nitpick, but there are a ton of posts on this already....perhaps if some folks made the effort to use the search function???? :rolleyes:

The OTA activation release is Ox104, and is out only to CA for now, but will be to everyone else very soon.

·
Legend
200 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
Not to nitpick, but there are a ton of posts on this already....perhaps if some folks made the effort to use the search function???? :rolleyes:

The OTA activation release is Ox104, and is out only to CA for now, but will be to everyone else very soon.
Well, actually, it is only in a very few places in CA. I am in one of the largest markets - Sacramento/Stockton - and we don't have it as of Monday night.:nono: :nono2:

·
AllStar
73 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:

Wow, maybe we should give the guy a break! So he's new and hasn't read every single thread. SO WHAT! You don't have to try to scare him away. Be polite, it's easy.

·
Icon
777 Posts
flashfast said:
Wow, maybe we should give the guy a break! So he's new and hasn't read every single thread. SO WHAT! You don't have to try to scare him away. Be polite, it's easy.
You don't have to read every single thread. The past few days OTA has been plastered on the board AND in a bold sticky at the very top of the message list.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
baimo said:
I actually believe that catman is pulling our legs. It is just too obvious from the very first sticky on this forum, that OTA is the hot topic here.
It doesn't matter. If you don't want to answer his question, keep quiet and let those of us willing to help someone new, no matter how often the question is asked take care of it. No one requires you to read or reply to things that don't interest you. The moderators have repeatedly said precisely this.

Quite frankly, the people who complain about newbies "asking the same questions", are not at all different from those asking the repetitive questions....except THEY should know better. How many times do the moderators have to tell the "thread police" to mind their own business? That's been posted many, many times too. So if one has been around long enough to "see the questions asked again and again", then one also has been around long enough to follow the instructions of the moderators, no?

Looks like a case of the pot calling the kettle black to me, but what do I know?:D

·
Legend
129 Posts
I agree with Hasan, well said!!! This forum is to help and inform people, not to put them down just for asking for help!

Happy Holidays!!!

·
Cool Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to all who responded. Sorry to cause such an uproar. There are points well taken in all of the responses. I'm not too familiar with these forums yet. I read some threads about the problem but apparently didn't pickup on the gradual release approach and couldn't understand why there were some out there working and mine was not. I appreciate the help and will be more attentive and considerate in the future :)

·
Legend
191 Posts
I don't see that any of the replies were attacks, if they were received that way, some people's skin is too thin.

If somebody is new to forums, I don't find it impolite to tell them about search functions and stickied threads. The first thing you should do on a new board is to read the stickies. The most severe (horrors!) reaction was form HDTVFan0001, and even then he supplied the information. (I didn't even find HDTV's response offensive.)

If the responses from this thread scares away a memeber, then they are too timid to be online at all. They should be in a fetal position in their closet. We were all newbies at one time and pointing out how to use the tools helps everyone in the forum (even those that haven't asked the question).

BTW, welcome to the forum catman915, flashfast and solo1206. Please do yourselves a favor and read stickied threads. Please do participate and if someone else posts a thread that seems curt, just brush it off as them having a bad day. (Again, I didn't see that here, answers were given and suggestions made to prevent the 12,587th thread about OTA availablity.) That is the real power of forums like dbsTalk.

Personally, I opened this thread because I thought it was someone who had recevied the latest update having an issue with OTA. That would be worthy of posting. But then to read yet another post about "When is OTA coming"; Yes, it was a bit repetitive and un-neccesary. That is probably similar to the other posters that were providing some helpful suggestions. I hope you can see how, in perspective, some of us may have had this idea.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.