DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Legend
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This notice caught my eye on the HR20-700 boxes I saw at Best Buy today:

"Coming late 2006: This box can also integrate local channels from an off-air antenna (ATSC)"

See attached photo. Is this new or have they shipped like this all along?

Attachments

· Registered
16,423 Posts
sthor said:
This notice caught my eye on the HR20-700 boxes I saw at Best Buy today:

"Coming late 2006: This box can also integrate local channels from an off-air antenna (ATSC)"

See attached photo. Is this new or have they shipped like this all along?
That's on the box for my replacement and I believe it was on the box for my original as well.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Yes and no.

The sticker was on some of the very first units sold... others since then have had it, or hadn't had it. No real pattern had emerged from those that had it or didn't have it

· Legend
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. I was sort of hoping it was something new indicating imminent activation of OTA. First time I have seen them in stock at BB.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
glennb said:
Earl's sources claim it will activated December 1st.
No, not exactly.

The offical DirecTV statement is Late 2006
The CSR and Support techs have been told December 1st

My contacts haven't set an exact date (As there isn't one).

They are so close to have it actived...

· Legend
214 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
No, not exactly.

The offical DirecTV statement is Late 2006
The CSR and Support techs have been told December 1st

My contacts haven't set an exact date (As there isn't one).

They are so close to have it actived...
You know, it would be great if D* gave us a Thanksgiving Day surprise and turned on OTA.:D

· Legend
200 Posts
Funny thing.
My sticker said: "For OTA arrival date, got to www.dbstalk.com and ask for Earl".:lol: :sure:

· AllStar
67 Posts
Wait a minute! You've seen an HR20 at a Best Buy store? That's like the Holy Grail in my area. I've yet to see one in real life as I sit on the waiting list.

· DBSTalk Club Member
251 Posts
Road Rage said:
Wait a minute! You've seen an HR20 at a Best Buy store? That's like the Holy Grail in my area. I've yet to see one in real life as I sit on the waiting list.
I ordered one today from bestbuy.com (none locally).

· AllStar
75 Posts
iacas said:
I ordered one today from bestbuy.com (none locally).
Were you told by D* to use them? Is there a better deal using them and what about the install? No problem to install but I do need to upgrade the dish. Why use BestBuy instead of just calling D*? It still is a leased unit, right?

· DBSTalk Club Member
251 Posts
rickaren said:
Were you told by D* to use them? Is there a better deal using them and what about the install? No problem to install but I do need to upgrade the dish. Why use BestBuy instead of just calling D*? It still is a leased unit, right?
I wasn't told by D*. I just didn't want to wait 2-3+ weeks to get the thing. BB had it in stock so I bought.

I guess technically it's a lease, but I haven't looked into the fine print there. I've had D* for five years now and that's not likely to change in the next year, so any "lease to own" is fine by me.

The install I'm doing on my own (rather paying someone). It's costing me another $100 to $120 or so for labor. As I said, my service address isn't exactly, uhm, precise. So I'd have to go outside the "free D* installation/upgrade" route anyway, if you know what I mean.

· Registered
2,550 Posts
I don't think DirecTV cares where you get the HR20 from. When they canceled my install, because of the shortage, I called and asked them if they would give me a full credit back because my local Circuit City had them. I got a full credit, a $20.00 missed appointment credit and paid less at Circuit city because there was no shipping. DirecTV (Ironwood) still did the install of my slimline dish.

· AllStar
77 Posts
benjaminmarle said:
You know, it would be great if D* gave us a Thanksgiving Day surprise and turned on OTA.:D
Think Christmas present. This year if you're lucky.

· Legend
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Road Rage said:
5 of them at the Melbourne, FL BB this afternoon when I was there :)

· Mentor
40 Posts
rickaren said:
I read somewhere on the i-net (i think on here) just to be checking BB & CC and some of the other retailers frequently. So 3 weeks ago when they were "REALLY" out of stock, I just got up each morning at about 7am and checked BB & CC for one in my area. On the 2nd day of doing that, CC had them at the warehouse. Got one for $300. By 8:15am (CST) they were out again. The next 2 mornings, same situation, they were in stock at a central warehouse available for shipping for a couple hours or so.

As far as how D* handled it, it was still free install and upgrade to AT9. Took 2 days (in Memphis) to get install from the time I called (I called when my wife told me the HR20 came off the FedEx truck). I got some credits and discounts from retention when I changed my service.. I just used the argument that D* was lucky to keep me as a customer because Comcast would give me an HD-DVR if I signed with them with substantial discounts. Didn't do as well on discounts as some others on here (I was doing HD for the first time)-- but no complaints-- I wanted/needed the HR20 for use with my new 57" HDTV, so I was happy to pay a little and not wait.

Oh, and yes, it is still leased. CC(dot)com makes you do an online lease addendum agreement during the order process.

· Legend
233 Posts
Local BBY here in Missouri has 'em in stock as well. I got one from my local DTV installer. (There are ways to 'move' yet still get DTV to come to you...they brought me an AT9 and HR20 to my not necessarily real address)

· Legend
181 Posts
BB in Sterling VA had several in stock yesterday, in the Magnolia section.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.