DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must disagree with those who said the tuner was better than the old Tivo DVR, mine is terrible, it was crystal when hooked directly into the TV tuner, in the old TIVO DVR was not great, but some channels, like CBS which I need here, it was watchable at night very clearly.

But in the HR20 it is unwatchable, I get the searching for signal almost all the time, and it's weird, the channel that I get one of the loweest signal strengths comes in more than the one that has the highest and I need the most (CBS) which does not get carried in HD by DTV in my local market.

I had gotten used to just not being able to record on my HR20 as the signal on my TV tuner was crystal as I said. But I has to try and hook it up because after I got the update activating the OTA tuner for some reason my speakers on the HD channels (the dash channels) quite working on my TV tuner (more on that in another thread where I will ask for help, if someone has a guess please opine as Mitsubishi warranty numbers are hard to get to and I can't call them till next week, can't imagine they are related as it makes no sense but it's the only thing that occured right when it stopped working). The speakers work fine otherwise and i tried everything to get them to work again. They work fine through the HR20 and my DVD and all my other boxes. But as I said more on that later.

Point is the OTA on the HR20 is horrid for me so I called tech support. They said that this was an unexpected problem. That a lot, but not all, people were having drastic and bad signal degradation with the HR20 and that a software update was being worked on to fix it. I asked because I wanted to know if I needed to work on finding another solution like a better antenna or a signal booster. So my question for Earl or anyother tech savy or DTV employee types lurking, is this accurate info as far as you know? Should I wait for an update to address this issue or is this pie in the sky and should I instead work on an alternate fix or live with not having DVR on those OTA channels and forget about it as that's as good as it's going to get? Thanks (BTW, I just think this is weird because I thought recievers always boosted and did not degrade signals a little bit).

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
The problem is...

There are some people that are having improvements (with comparison to their HR10). Some people are getting channels they never got with their HR10, others are seeing issues like yours.... That is one the quirks of OTA...

All I know is they are most definently working on the reported issues with OTA. But as for if it will fix your specific issue or not, a lot will depend on what the root cause of your problem is.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Osmani said:
I must disagree with those who said the tuner was better than the old Tivo DVR, mine is terrible, it was crystal when hooked directly into the TV tuner, in the old TIVO DVR was not great, but some channels, like CBS which I need here, it was watchable at night very clearly.

But in the HR20 it is unwatchable, I get the searching for signal almost all the time, and it's weird, the channel that I get one of the loweest signal strengths comes in more than the one that has the highest and I need the most (CBS) which does not get carried in HD by DTV in my local market.

I had gotten used to just not being able to record on my HR20 as the signal on my TV tuner was crystal as I said. But I has to try and hook it up because after I got the update activating the OTA tuner for some reason my speakers on the HD channels (the dash channels) quite working on my TV tuner (more on that in another thread where I will ask for help, if someone has a guess please opine as Mitsubishi warranty numbers are hard to get to and I can't call them till next week, can't imagine they are related as it makes no sense but it's the only thing that occured right when it stopped working). The speakers work fine otherwise and i tried everything to get them to work again. They work fine through the HR20 and my DVD and all my other boxes. But as I said more on that later.

Point is the OTA on the HR20 is horrid for me so I called tech support. They said that this was an unexpected problem. That a lot, but not all, people were having drastic and bad signal degradation with the HR20 and that a software update was being worked on to fix it. I asked because I wanted to know if I needed to work on finding another solution like a better antenna or a signal booster. So my question for Earl or anyother tech savy or DTV employee types lurking, is this accurate info as far as you know? Should I wait for an update to address this issue or is this pie in the sky and should I instead work on an alternate fix or live with not having DVR on those OTA channels and forget about it as that's as good as it's going to get? Thanks (BTW, I just think this is weird because I thought recievers always boosted and did not degrade signals a little bit).
What kind of signal level are you seeing on the HR20?

Is it bad for all channels, or are you looking for a particular channel?

Are you splitting the signal to other devices?

If so, bypass the splitter and go directly into the HR20 and see what it looks like.

If you still don't get (any/the desired) channels, try the following:

Get a few 75 ohm jumper cables (lots of them are supplied for various devices), of different length. Typcially they are 3 feet or so in length, but what we are interested in is "various" lengths.

Go to Radio Shack and buy a maybe 3 double female F connectors, so you can add various line lengths to your main feedline coming into the HR20 (and we are still talking about taking the main feedline, no splits, and plugging it directly into the HR20.

Now....take one of the extra length (3' or so) cables and put a double female on one end and plug the main feedline into it. Plug the other end into the HR20 OTA antenna input. Check to see if you have any signa. If you don't, add another small length and try it again.

I have found the HR20, and in fact, my Sammy HDTV, to be sensitive to the length of the line coming from the antenna..it's an impedance bump problem. It varies by channel (UHF especially). I did some rewiring here this morning and got two channels that were unwatchable to come up to perfect reception, by doing NOTHING other than changing the length of the line to either the HR20 or the TV itself.

As another test, I completely bypassed all splitters and a preamp, and by varying nothing but the line length, several channels were quiet viewable and strong at one line length and pixellating at another length.

Give it a try, it's a very inexpensive experiment.

·
AllStar
79 Posts
hasan said:
What kind of signal level are you seeing on the HR20?

Is it bad for all channels, or are you looking for a particular channel?

Are you splitting the signal to other devices?

If so, bypass the splitter and go directly into the HR20 and see what it looks like.

If you still don't get (any/the desired) channels, try the following:

Get a few 75 ohm jumper cables (lots of them are supplied for various devices), of different length. Typcially they are 3 feet or so in length, but what we are interested in is "various" lengths.

Go to Radio Shack and buy a maybe 3 double female F connectors, so you can add various line lengths to your main feedline coming into the HR20 (and we are still talking about taking the main feedline, no splits, and plugging it directly into the HR20.

Now....take one of the extra length (3' or so) cables and put a double female on one end and plug the main feedline into it. Plug the other end into the HR20 OTA antenna input. Check to see if you have any signa. If you don't, add another small length and try it again.

I have found the HR20, and in fact, my Sammy HDTV, to be sensitive to the length of the line coming from the antenna..it's an impedance bump problem. It varies by channel (UHF especially). I did some rewiring here this morning and got two channels that were unwatchable to come up to perfect reception, by doing NOTHING other than changing the length of the line to either the HR20 or the TV itself.

As another test, I completely bypassed all splitters and a preamp, and by varying nothing but the line length, several channels were quiet viewable and strong at one line length and pixellating at another length.

Give it a try, it's a very inexpensive experiment.
In my case I added a radioshack amp/distribution kit for $49.95. It greatly improved a couple of fringe channels located over 60 miles away, without over driving locals already coming in at or near 100%. :)

·
Legend
175 Posts
I'm going to try the line length solution, on my HR10-250 and my sir60 I get great reception on 95% of my channels, with the exception of CBS. I get occasional pixelization on. On the HR20, I don't get CBS, ABC, WGN at all. NBC and fox are strong. When I plug the antenna line directly into my HD TV its tuner can pull all of them in with no problem. Hopefully a software fix will come soon. I got my HR20 at best buy, and only have the triple lnb dish. Directv is saying probably February before they can come out and install the 5 lnb dish. The Chicago installations are all screwed up. I asked DTV to send me a dish and I'll install it myself but they refused saying it is too fragile to ship. I'm tempted just to get one from ebay.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
magellanmtb said:
Don't know if it is true, but I still believe that the tuner in the H20 is far superior to the the tuner HR20. More channels and better PQ.
Today I tested the H20-600, the HR10-250 and the HR20 in an UNscientific test of their OTA tuners - I have a CM4228/CM7777 antenna/preamp combination and I removed the CM7777 preamp to lower the signal strength. I also put a two-way splitter in front of the H20 to simulate the splitters that are in the HR20 and HR10 (an important part of the test).
Results: the H20-600 was clearly the best tuner, getting all my stations with good signal strength and no breakups. Reports are that the H20-100 is not as good.
The HR20 was the next best, two stations were very marginal and occasionally got breakups.
The HR10 was the worst, it did not get the marginal stations at all and a couple of other ones became marginal.

I am at 40 miles from the DFW transmitter farm. A couple of my stations suffer from ghosting on the analog station and presumably therefore have possible multipath on the digital signal - one of these is on VHF. These were the two stations that were marginal on the HR20, and did not get a signal lock at all on the HR10. The additional stations that became marginal on the HR10 were just the ones with (according to antennaweb) the weakest signals.

·
Passed away April 24, 2010
608 Posts
I've messed with OTA here in Jacksonville starting with a Hughes E86, then a 10-250 and now a HR20-700.

It is not a put up and antenna and you are done proposition. OTA is prone to all sorts of problems. For example, the problem may not be a weak signal, but rather one that is too strong, in which case an attenuator is needed.

I've also found that the aiming, both pitch and yaw, of the antenna is critical. Sometimes moving the antenna an inch or two one way or the other makes the difference between getting or not getting a station to lock.

Also, watch out for multipath. I've found that a highly directional antenna seems to work the best. Those omnidirectional ones tend to be more prone to multipath. For the record, multipath will cause your signal to vary wildly, randomly locking and unlocking.

As an example of the sillines of OTA, the antenna I have picks up all stations but one. For the final one, I have a Terk HDTVi indoor antenna mounted in the garage, connected into the main system via an electronic A/B switch I got from Radio Shack. You guessed it, when I want to watch Fox, I have to remember to flip the switch to the "B" antenna. I am REALLY anticipating HD LIL here in Jacksonville, which has now been pushed back to February, 2007.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.