DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Passed away April 24, 2010
608 Posts
I've messed with OTA here in Jacksonville starting with a Hughes E86, then a 10-250 and now a HR20-700.

It is not a put up and antenna and you are done proposition. OTA is prone to all sorts of problems. For example, the problem may not be a weak signal, but rather one that is too strong, in which case an attenuator is needed.

I've also found that the aiming, both pitch and yaw, of the antenna is critical. Sometimes moving the antenna an inch or two one way or the other makes the difference between getting or not getting a station to lock.

Also, watch out for multipath. I've found that a highly directional antenna seems to work the best. Those omnidirectional ones tend to be more prone to multipath. For the record, multipath will cause your signal to vary wildly, randomly locking and unlocking.

As an example of the sillines of OTA, the antenna I have picks up all stations but one. For the final one, I have a Terk HDTVi indoor antenna mounted in the garage, connected into the main system via an electronic A/B switch I got from Radio Shack. You guessed it, when I want to watch Fox, I have to remember to flip the switch to the "B" antenna. I am REALLY anticipating HD LIL here in Jacksonville, which has now been pushed back to February, 2007.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.