DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
AllStar
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so new to this. I got a Sony SXRD 60XBR2 last week. The Dish guy is coming today to upgrade to a 622 and HD package. Can I get my local HD channels or do I need to get another antenna for the roof? I didn't think I would but after reading some here I'm not sure. My local zip code is 32092 if that helps.:(

·
Icon
701 Posts
Calvin Carrigan said:
I'm so new to this. I got a Sony SXRD 60XBR2 last week. The Dish guy is coming today to upgrade to a 622 and HD package. Can I get my local HD channels or do I need to get another antenna for the roof? I didn't think I would but after reading some here I'm not sure. My local zip code is 32092 if that helps.:(
Calvin,

Your Local Market channels are NOT available from Dish in HD. If you wish to receive them in HD then any Antenna that is capable of receiving a good signal in the particular band those stations are located in will be fine. There is NO SUCH thing as a HD antenna for OTA. Most Antennas labeled as such are UHF only antennas as MOST HD signals in the UHF band.

Go to Antennaweb.org. Input your exact Address and you will get a list of all of the stations that should be available at your location OTA. I just used your zipcode and it appears that your are about 22 miles from the transmitters. Your HD Locals use both VHF/UHF and you would need a medium range VHF/UHF directional antenna for all but your CW station. Your CW Station would require a Long Range Directional Antenna with PRE-AMP.

Good Luck.

John

·
AllStar
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This sucks. Here I was getting excited about watching football on locals in HD now I have to get an antenna? My wife will not like the looks of this.... Any reccomendations on an antenna?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,086 Posts
Calvin Carrigan said:
This sucks. Here I was getting excited about watching football on locals in HD now I have to get an antenna? My wife will not like the looks of this.... Any reccomendations on an antenna?
Winegard makes an antenna that doesn't look like an antenna. It is called the Squareshooter. It is a little gray plastic box. Should help w/ the WAF. According to antennaweb.org all your stations are in 1 direction so it should work fine.

·
AllStar
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can I mount this by my dish and split the signal there or do I need to run coax to it? This will probably have to point north? My dish is mounted on a pole next to my south facing wall of the house.

Is there an indoor antenna?

Thanks for the help.

·
Legend
106 Posts
Here is the info from your Zip Code..........

Assignment
* yellow - uhf WTEV-DT 47.1 CBS JACKSONVILLE FL 357° 22.2 19
* yellow - vhf WTLV-DT 12.1 NBC JACKSONVILLE FL 359° 21.9 13
* yellow - uhf WJXT-DT 4.1 IND JACKSONVILLE FL 359° 22.0 42
* yellow - vhf WJXX-DT 25.1 ABC ORANGE PARK FL 359° 21.9 10
* yellow - uhf WAWS-DT 30.1 FOX JACKSONVILLE FL 357° 22.6 32
* yellow - uhf WJCT-DT 7.1 PBS JACKSONVILLE FL 357° 22.6 38
* red - uhf WCWJ-DT 17.1 CW JACKSONVILLE FL 358° 22.2 34
* red - uhf WJEB-DT 59.1 TBN JACKSONVILLE FL 357° 22.2 44
Note:

THe Direction of all tower Locations 357-359 degrees.

·
Premium Member
21,657 Posts
You know... I really am lost as to why so many people (including HOA) freak out about antennas. Just 50 years ago, people were ecstatic to be able to put up an antenna and get free TV in their homes... and it was really only about 30 years ago when the quality of broadcast TV really became a regular (most of the 24 hour day) thing on multiple channels.

I'm very happy to have an antenna and get a bunch of good locals for free!

·
Legend
132 Posts
Since you are only 20 miles or so from the towers its possible that an indoor antenna would work. I have the Zenith silver sensor and it works great however I am only 5 miles from the towers. I do have friends that are about 25 miles awa an an indoor antenna works just fine for OTA.

·
AllStar
63 Posts
You know... I really am lost as to why so many people (including HOA) freak out about antennas.
IMO, because they are ugly. Last thing I want to see when I look at a nice house is an awkward hunk of metal poking out of it.

Home appearance is more important to me than TV. If I couldn't get my dish on the back of the house, on the roof out of sight of the street, I would probably be a cable subscriber. We just moved last month. Dish location, specifically whether it would be out of sight, played a role in my home purchase decisions.

·
Icon
701 Posts
MDRNHL said:
IMO, because they are ugly. Last thing I want to see when I look at a nice house is an awkward hunk of metal poking out of it.

Home appearance is more important to me than TV. If I couldn't get my dish on the back of the house, on the roof out of sight of the street, I would probably be a cable subscriber. We just moved last month. Dish location, specifically whether it would be out of sight, played a role in my home purchase decisions.
MDRNHL,

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. "That Hunk of Metal on my ROOF" Screams, "I won't be held hostage by ANY Provider, My local channels are Really FREE not cable company, or satellite provider 'FREE' with a qualifying package of channels". My Dish's and OTA antenna show that I'm independent from some Hard wired service. Just last week, for example, during a bad Wind and Rain storm, my cable based internet went out for 10+ hours. That would have been 10+ hours of NO TV, right in the middle of Primetime and with no option to watch my local NHL team or other NHL Center Ice games. As Long as I have power or gas in a Generator I'll have my all my options both OTA and satellite TV to keep me and my family comfortable and entertained.

In most cases OTA HD reception and picture quality is going to be better, as nobody is modifying or downrezzing the resolution from my Antenna to my HD Television, like DBS and alot of cable systems do to save bandwidth.

John

·
Hall Of Fame
1,086 Posts
Calvin Carrigan said:
Can I mount this by my dish and split the signal there or do I need to run coax to it? This will probably have to point north? My dish is mounted on a pole next to my south facing wall of the house.

Is there an indoor antenna?

Thanks for the help.
Yes it N. As the list that DougRuss listed (which is from antenna.org) shows they are all pretty close to N. 0 or 360 is N. The antenna can come in on the standard diplexer.

·
Premium Member
21,657 Posts
MDRNHL said:

For my money... I spend most of my time inside of my house where I cannot see my antenna, or at work when I can't see my house from there either... so there is very little time (driving in the driveway, or doing yard work) that I am physically able to see any outside dish or antenna anyway.

To each their own... and I understand if you don't want it on your house... that's cool... but the HOAs that try to mandate it for the neighborhood really get on my nerves. Fortunately I get by just great with an indoor setup, but I know others around who can't get as good OTA as I do and feel boxed-in by what their neighbors deem "acceptable" for them.

·
Legend
106 Posts
gjh3260 said:
Since you are only 20 miles or so from the towers its possible that an indoor antenna would work. I have the Zenith silver sensor and it works great however I am only 5 miles from the towers. I do have friends that are about 25 miles awa an an indoor antenna works just fine for OTA.
But he has 2 VHF Stations ( ABC, NBC) and the Silver Sensor would not work for him.

·
Cool Member
29 Posts
HDMe said:
You know... I really am lost as to why so many people (including HOA) freak out about antennas.
If I could suggest, spend 10 dollars at walmart and get a pair of rabbit ears and connect it to the receiver. I've done that for 3 of my sets and it works great.

·
Child of the 60's
3,127 Posts
Couple of thoughts. Blonder Tongue makes a nice compact UHF antenna that might work. Check their web site for the model. You can also check out Channel Master is they make a number of good antennas. I tried the BT for a couple of years and then on a lark, got a CM 4228 and put it up in my attic. Nothing metallic up there and I now get really solid reception. Didn't have many issues with the BT because of its compact size. No issues with wife on the new antenna arrangement.

Good luck.

John

·
AllStar
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the help. I finally got all of my TV's set up last night. Had to mirror a room, add a drop etc.. finally done at 11:30 so I didn't really get to enjoy it. I'm going to have the kid come back and put up an antenna for the locals.

·
Icon
701 Posts
HDMe said:
To each their own... and I understand if you don't want it on your house... that's cool... but the HOAs that try to mandate it for the neighborhood really get on my nerves. Fortunately I get by just great with an indoor setup, but I know others around who can't get as good OTA as I do and feel boxed-in by what their neighbors deem "acceptable" for them.
HDme,

Not to mention that ANY HOA restriction to OTA Antennas in general ARE ILLEGAL.

John

·
AllStar
63 Posts
I agree with you about the HOA's. Don't get me wrong, I'm not the type to whine and complain because the neighbor's house isn't perfect by my standards...I just don't like the appearance of one on my own. Same goes for my living room/entertainment center. My entertainment center is clean and relatively minimalist. I don't want to put an indoor antenna there either unless its very stealthy and discreet.

Thats what I need.....a stealth antenna!! :)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.