DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Cool Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just switched from DirecTV to Dish and reinstalled WINEGARD
SENSAR TV ANTENNA . (from Voom) With Directv I received all my Miami & West Palm Beach channels. I live in the middle. Now I only receive a few. I scanned (VIP722) and 16 showed up. I can only get a few with a strength of 70+. The others have 0. Could the antenna somehow shorted out? Could the problem be the way the tech set it up...splitters, etc? The DirecTV tech had the OTA running through a box then to the HDTV box. Would this make a difference? Thanks for the help.

· EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
Does the Winegard have its own line to the 722, or is it diplexed onto the sat line? What is the "box" before the HDTV box?

· Hall Of Fame
1,286 Posts
try putting a signal amp before the splitter. if that doesn't work, maybe try an amp after the splitter on each side? i'm assuming you tried another splitter?

· Godfather
274 Posts
justwayne said:
I just switched from DirecTV to Dish and reinstalled WINEGARD
SENSAR TV ANTENNA . (from Voom) With Directv I received all my Miami & West Palm Beach channels. I live in the middle. Now I only receive a few. I scanned (VIP722) and 16 showed up. I can only get a few with a strength of 70+. The others have 0. Could the antenna somehow shorted out? Could the problem be the way the tech set it up...splitters, etc? The DirecTV tech had the OTA running through a box then to the HDTV box. Would this make a difference? Thanks for the help.
Diplexing with the satellite robs alot of signal strength. D* does not allow diplexing the OTA signal but E* does. A preamp or distribtion amp will help resolve. As a quick test, can you run a direct line from the antenna to a tv with an ATSC tuner? Can you tune all the previous channels with this direct run?

How many tvs and how many splitters do you have?

· Hall Of Fame
1,286 Posts
Diplexing with the satellite robs alot of signal strength. D* does not allow diplexing the OTA signal but E* does. A preamp or distribtion amp will help resolve. As a quick test, can you run a direct line from the antenna to a tv with an ATSC tuner? Can you tune all the previous channels with this direct run?
I directly connected one line and re-scanned the local channels. Now I can pick up 19 and get over a strength of 60. The splitter is the problem, but why?
he already did. he knows the problem is in the splitter because that's where it drops out.

· Cool Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Tech put an amp before the splitter and I received no channels. That was strange. Maybe the amp was bad. I am going to call Dish and get them to install a Super Home Node. When I directly run one line to my box without a splitter, I get all the channels. Thanks for all your help.

· Godfather
492 Posts
That ant needs power for the internal amp, the 722 does not put out any power on the ant input. You need a power injector and the splitter may block power

· Godfather
492 Posts
You could check with any local place that sells winegard amps, just ask for the power supply or try online dealers like solid signal or Warrens. You can not have a splitter in line between power supply and antenna it will block voltage from power supply.
The amp in antenna will kill signal with no power going to it.
Where is the box you had before going to the Directv rec. That may have been the power supply.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,472 Posts
Which model Sensar are we talking about here? There are three versions with both powered and un-powered incarnations.

The un-powered version probably won't reach Miami from Boca (rated about 25 miles).

If you're running the powered version without power, you'll probably not get Miami either.

· Cool Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think that is why DTV added a receiver before running the OTA line to my HD Receiver. That must of added power to the OTA Amp. The box was between the OTA wall outlet to the Dish Rec. I got all my Miami stations before with DTV. This is why it's driving me crazy.

· Godfather
492 Posts
harsh said:
Which model Sensar are we talking about here? There are three versions with both powered and un-powered incarnations.

The un-powered version probably won't reach Miami from Boca (rated about 25 miles).

If you're running the powered version without power, you'll probably not get Miami either.
harsh He said it was a old voom ant. most of them were with amp and the voom rec. put out power for the amp. Like you said the none amp would not do very good and the one with amp. and no power would be real bad. I would like to know about the box that was used before.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.