DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
AllStar
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a lot of 771 errors with 10B. Stations that worked fine on an H20 and through my TV tuner are generating 771 errors. I know it's not the antenna since the channels pop right up through the TV tuner.

Earl, any comments or thoughts on this problem? Between my problems and other posts I have seen, it does not sound like the OTA function is ready for prime time, and yet you mentioned in another thread that 10b may roll out nationally.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
dpluta said:
I'm getting a lot of 771 errors with 10B. Stations that worked fine on an H20 and through my TV tuner are generating 771 errors. I know it's not the antenna since the channels pop right up through the TV tuner.

Earl, any comments or thoughts on this problem? Between my problems and other posts I have seen, it does not sound like the OTA function is ready for prime time, and yet you mentioned in another thread that 10b may roll out nationally.

Thanks.
Before I gave up, I'd try the following:

1. Make sure your antenna is coming straight into the HR20, no splitters, no line amps, no preamps, no cable splices, no barrel connetors, etc.

2. Redo your Antenna > Initial Setup

3. Use a regular TV to make sure you see SD analog signals ...see that they look good without a lot of ghosting.

If that doesn't work:

1. Unplug the HR20 for 5 minutes.

2. Make sure your OTA antenna is connected, and check item 1 above AGAIN.

3. Plug the HR20 back in and turn it on, if necessary.

4. Wait for it to fully initialize and settle.

5. Red your Antenna > Initial Setup from scratch again.

See if you get any reception then.

If that doesn't work, you may have a bad HR20.

Let us know how it turns out

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Has your antenna moved? If you're using an inside antenna, the slightest change in position can sometimes mean the difference between watching a station and getting nothing.

Could be that your TV's tuner is more tollerant of low level signals or signal fluctuations than the HR20. What sort of signal strentgh's are you getting?

I use a silver sensor that goes into a 2-way splitter without any problems. My HR20's OTA is rock solid. I certainly wouldn't say that OTA is not ready for primetime.

·
AllStar
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments.

The problem I'm having with this, is that when I had a regular H20, the OTA tuners worked as well as my TV tuner. Not the case with the HR20. The antenna is on the roof and has not moved. I dont want to mess with it, because most of the core channels come in fine.

I tried an RBR and I redid the antenna setup. It sis not fix anything. This is a problem with specific stations and not all OTAs.

Thanks.

·
Legend
138 Posts
I have problems with 1 set of stations that I can get on my HR10. I have found out I have a bad cable to my HR20. I just haven't had time to fix it. On mine it was definately a cable issue and not a tuner issue. I can't say for sure on yours. I was thinking the same thing at first that my HR20 had problems.

·
Icon
942 Posts
Once a release with OTA is national... will DirecTV correct issues with previously installed OTA antennas?

Here's why I ask. When I first switched to HD, just before the HR20 came out, I got an HR10-250 and paid the additional fee for the OTA antenna. They installed it, but from day one I had crappy reception on most of my local channels. I think the only one that didn't ever give me a problem was PBS. The main network channels on some days would be perfect. On other days I would have frequent signal drops and pixelation. Just when I was about to call and complain to D*, the HR20 came out and I figured I wouldn't need the OTA. I was not aware at the time that the sub-channels didn't come off the sat.

When they came out to install the HR20, I mentioned the signal problems to the installer and told him that even though I knew OTA was not available yet (thanks DBSTalk!) I wanted it hooked up as a backup to the sat when it was activated. He said that the previous installer seemed to put it in a bad place on my roof and moved it up to the peak. At the same time, he also installed the new AT-9 dish at the peak of my roof.

I didn't have any other receivers or TVs using OTA so there was no way to check the OTA signals. When I downloaded 0x10B last week, I set up OTA and was extremely disappointed to find that our local CBS affiliate (WJZ 13) was not getting any signal at all. I used to get a signal on this channel with my HR10.

So, I realize there are many factors here... moved antenna, new reciever (HR20), and a new coax run. But will D* stand behind their install now that OTA is available and it's not working for me? I've got a friend of a friend who does installs and I was going to ask him to come over and look at it... he'll charge me, but it'll be less than what D* would charge if it's not a free service call.

So, anyone know? If I call them after OTA is national, will they come out to adjust my antenna?

I guess I should mention, there's no way I'm getting on my roof... I've got a big fear of hieghts. :nono2:

Thanks and sorry for the long-winded post.
Bob

EDIT: I should have mentioned that I am less than 13 miles from the towers that serve up the signal for my local network channels (NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX). And, when I tried to set up a secondary market, I was even able to get some Washington DC channels (although with choppy reception). But nothing on Baltimore's CBS 13.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Be sure to add your stations to the OTA thread in the sticky area.

DirecTV is working on all of those listed...

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
I would call them after 0x10b goes national.
But I wouldn't count on anything.

If anything, I would look around for a local service tech, find out how much they would charge and then call DirecTV and work something out.

·
Icon
942 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
I would call them after 0x10b goes national.
But I wouldn't count on anything.

If anything, I would look around for a local service tech, find out how much they would charge and then call DirecTV and work something out.
Okay Earl, thanks. I'll probably just fess up the $40 - $50 my buddy's friend will charge and get him to fix the problem.

Bob

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
SockMonkey said:
Okay Earl, thanks. I'll probably just fess up the $40 - $50 my buddy's friend will charge and get him to fix the problem.

Bob
You will probably get quicker and better service that route....
Since the DTV techs are not necessarily trained for all the quirks with OTA installations.

·
Icon
942 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
You will probably get quicker and better service that route....
Since the DTV techs are not necessarily trained for all the quirks with OTA installations.
I'm not sure that makes me feel any better... this guy is a DTV Tech. :eek2:
Bob

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
SockMonkey said:
I'm not sure that makes me feel any better... this guy is a DTV Tech. :eek2:
Bob
Forget what I said then... :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.