DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· AllStar
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been asked.

I know the HR20 has the 2 D* tuners and I also know that they have an NTSC/ATSC tuner for OTA which will be turned on eventually. What I haven't seen is an answer to these questions:

- Will we be able to record something on any 2 of the tuners (the 2 D* for instance) and be able to watch something on the third?
- Will we have an active 90 minute buffer if the answer is yes?
- The third question is obviously, if we can watch something......and if it will have an active buffer.....will be be able to record 3 things at the same time?

Somehow I think the answer is no to some if not all of these, but I figured I'd ask.

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
snewo said:

I know the HR20 has the 2 D* tuners and I also know that they have an NTSC/ATSC tuner for OTA which will be turned on eventually. What I haven't seen is an answer to these questions:

- Will we be able to record something on any 2 of the tuners (the 2 D* for instance) and be able to watch something on the third?
- The third question is obviously, if we can watch something......and if it will have an active buffer.....will be be able to record 3 things at the same time?

Somehow I think the answer is no to some if not all of these, but I figured I'd ask.
Either, both, or none of the 2 tuners can be OTA. (Or sat for that matter.)
Currently the live tuner will have a 90 buffer, regardless if its pointing sat. or OTA.
Lastly, no. While the documentation says up to three things can record, in reality only up to 2 things can. You can record two things and watch a previously item, so there would be 3 streams happening to the disk, but only 2 recording.

I think of the HR20 having two tuners. Each tuner can decode OTA or Sat. And that might be the case inside the HR20. It closely describes the DTivo setup.

Cheers,
Tom

· AllStar
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tibber said:
Either, both, or none of the 2 tuners can be OTA. (Or sat for that matter.)
Currently the live tuner will have a 90 buffer, regardless if its pointing sat. or OTA.
Lastly, no. While the documentation says up to three things can record, in reality only up to 2 things can. You can record two things and watch a previously item, so there would be 3 streams happening to the disk, but only 2 recording.

I think of the HR20 having two tuners. Each tuner can decode OTA or Sat. And that might be the case inside the HR20. It closely describes the DTivo setup.

Cheers,
Tom
I see. So I was incorrect in stating there were 3 tuners. It's just 2 multifunction tuners of which some parts (OTA) still need to be activated.

There goes my dreams of using OTA to solve any multi-show scheduling conflicts. I'll just go in and move all of my wife and kids shows lower in the prioritizer....PROBLEM SOLVED.

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
snewo said:
I see. So I was incorrect in stating there were 3 tuners. It's just 2 multifunction tuners of which some parts (OTA) still need to be activated.

There goes my dreams of using OTA to solve any multi-show scheduling conflicts. I'll just go in and move all of my wife and kids shows lower in the prioritizer....PROBLEM SOLVED.
Because HD is still rather touchy, I got a second DVR and have them backup each other except when I'm recording 3 or more things. The second DVR would record SD versions to be safer.

Cheers,
Tom

· AllStar
74 Posts
It's my undestanding that there are four tuners. Two Satellite and two ATSC three of which can be active at one time. Two recording and one watching. If you are recording on both satellite tuners and want to watch satellite you have to watch one of the recording programs. Same with OTA but you can be watching one of the either one of the remaining non-recording tuners. Please correct me if I am wrong but that is my understanding.

· Legend
192 Posts
wtrax said:
It's my undestanding that there are four tuners. Two Satellite and two ATSC three of which can be active at one time. Two recording and one watching. If you are recording on both satellite tuners and want to watch satellite you have to watch one of the recording programs. Same with OTA but you can be watching one of the either one of the remaining non-recording tuners. Please correct me if I am wrong but that is my understanding.
That is incorrect. If you are recording two shows and you want to watch live TV, you must watch one of those two channels, even if the two being recorded are D* channels and you want to watch an OTA channel. The only time you can have 3 different things going on is if you are recording two shows and watching a previously recorded show.

· Legend
192 Posts
snewo said:

Just a minor correction - the HR-20 has 2 ATSC tuners, not NTSC tuners. NTSC is for analog broadcasts which the HR-20 cannot receive.

· AllStar
74 Posts
pgiralt said:
That is incorrect. If you are recording two shows and you want to watch live TV, you must watch one of those two channels, even if the two being recorded are D* channels and you want to watch an OTA channel. The only time you can have 3 different things going on is if you are recording two shows and watching a previously recorded show.
Really? I could have sworn I read that somewhere on this forum. So no matter what the only thing you can watch while recording two programs is something previously recorded? That sucks, I have three shows on on Thursday nights I watch and was hoping that when OTA is activated I would be able to.
:mad:

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,619 Posts
wtrax said:
Really? I could have sworn I read that somewhere on this forum. So no matter what the only thing you can watch while recording two programs is something previously recorded? That sucks, I have three shows on on Thursday nights I watch and was hoping that when OTA is activated I would be able to.
I would imagine that because the E* receiver can do what you want (but with only one OTA tuner), D* will eventually have to make it happen.

· Legend
192 Posts
wtrax said:
:mad:
You may have gotten this impression from the HR-20 manual which says you can do this, but unfortunately the manual is wrong.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.