DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
AllStar
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i have run into a problem with my ota channels. the problem is all of my local broadcast towers are in the north, except for fox which broadcast from the south. so obviously i cannot recive fox. i have your antenna in my attic. i get 100 on all of my other channels. question is, is there anyway i can have my fox and keep my other to without having to move my antenna? or am i just wishful thinking.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
chuckrollz said:
hey guys i have run into a problem with my ota channels. the problem is all of my local broadcast towers are in the north, except for fox which broadcast from the south. so obviously i cannot recive fox. i have your antenna in my attic. i get 100 on all of my other channels. question is, is there anyway i can have my fox and keep my other to without having to move my antenna? or am i just wishful thinking.

thanks in advance
Chuck,

Ahhhh, the best of both worlds! :)

I've heard of folks using a splitter in reverse to combine the input of 2 antennas. That way you could add a second antenna in your attic pointed to the south to receive your Fox affiliate and combine that antenna with the one you currently have setup. Any time you combine or use a splitter you get loss from attenuation, BUT in your case (with 100% signal on your current antenna) you'll probably be ok. It's certainly worth a try!

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Chuck.

I highly recommend that you check out our sister site... AVSForum
There is a section for Local reception, that will go a LONG way in helping you build a setup that will get the results you are looking for.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,102 Posts
You cannot use a 2 antenna setup alone, you will get channel cancelation.

You will have to put in a filter for the antenna point to FOX so that it does not cancel out the channels on the other antenna.

·
Godfather
417 Posts
Blitz68 said:

You will have to put in a filter for the antenna point to FOX so that it does not cancel out the channels on the other antenna.
There's even more to it than that. You have to separate the antennas a certain distance and use the same length of coax going to the splitter/combiner. See:

http://www.tvantenna.com/support/tutorials/combining.html

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
Blitz68 said:
Not if your antenna is directional enough. You can also put a "tank" (notch filter) on the Fox antenna to reduce the phase cancellation (or multipath).

If one is planted between towers, there is also the possibility that an omnidirectional antenna will work. For someone who lived on 24th and East Admiral, an omni would be perfect. It comes down to how far and how varied the terrain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.