DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mentor
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earl has stated that you can't record 3 things at once with the ota enabled. Is there the possibility that you will be able to do that at a later date ?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Highly doubtfull.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
MEY said:
Earl has stated that you can't record 3 things at once with the ota enabled. Is there the possibility that you will be able to do that at a later date ?
Welcome to the forums! :welcome_s

While we are not absolutely certain, we are fairly sure that the hardware either doesn't support that feature or isn't wired together to support that. (I'm leaning toward the notion that the chips inside flat out can't do it.)

Now, a future model DVR very well might. I look forward to what D* will be showing at CES this coming January.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
tibber said:
Now, a future model DVR very well might. I look forward to what D* will be showing at CES this coming January.
Whispers on the walls, say there may be a future "DVR" that will be able to record.... 9 things at once.... but it will be a while before that whisper becomes something more then that.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Whispers on the walls, say there may be a future "DVR" that will be able to record.... 9 things at once.... but it will be a while before that whisper becomes something more then that.
9!!!! Wow! The CES 2006 stuff was rumored to be 4. 9 is amazing!

Cheers,
Tom

·
Hall Of Fame
2,535 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Highly doubtfull.
Earl -

I haven't followed the OTA topic until just recently, as it became more apparent from your hints that we were getting close, so perhaps you've answered this already.... As has been pointed out by several people in the last several months, the manual indicated that the HR20 would be able to record 3 programs at once. And, as has been pointed out, that is NOT in fact the case.

Do you happen to know why the decision was made to go with only 2 at a time? Was there an issue implementing it, or was it simply a decision made by a suit for reasons unknown to mankind?

Just curious.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
couple of these and I wouldn't need to set any series links.. just let then record 18 channels fulltime!:D

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Sharkie_Fan said:
Earl -

Do you happen to know why the decision was made to go with only 2 at a time? Was there an issue implementing it, or was it simply a decision made by a suit for reasons unknown to mankind?
I think it was more of a brakedown during the Manual creation time.
I don't think they ever planned for it to do more then 2 recordings at a time.

But since the first day I asked (back in August), 2 NET recordings has always been the case.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
houskamp said:
Hard drive speed might come into play also with 3 mpeg2 streams... just a thought..
There are a LOT of things that come into play...
Let's just say, that it is going to be a while until you see the "whispers"

And you know my definitions of "soon"...
Can you speculate on my definitions of "a while"...

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Can you speculate on my definitions of "a while"...
With the way DirecTV has been doing things lately, I'd say it'll come out in late 2008. It'll only be able to record 4.5 things at a time, and have no guide. These things will be corrected sometime in 2009.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.