DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie, so bear with me. I'm having issues on a couple of my OTA hd channels on my HR-20 with the signal strength dropping out. My best station (out of 3) consistently shows 70-80%. My other to channels are about the same average wise, however they seem to fluctuate a little more. They will spike up higher, and also complete drop down to 0%, which gives me pixilated images and audio drop outs.

I’m running 0x108 and my antenna is a Philips MANT940, mounted outside on the arm of my dish. I’ve had the same issue with 2 other amplified, indoor antennas as well. When I hook up the antenna to my TV (Mitsubishi WD-65731), which is with the same cables, the signal strength seems to be better and I don’t lose the signal. Any ideas?
:confused:

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
boever said:
I'm a newbie, so bear with me. I'm having issues on a couple of my OTA hd channels on my HR-20 with the signal strength dropping out. My best station (out of 3) consistently shows 70-80%. My other to channels are about the same average wise, however they seem to fluctuate a little more. They will spike up higher, and also complete drop down to 0%, which gives me pixilated images and audio drop outs.

I'm running 0x108 and my antenna is a Philips MANT940, mounted outside on the arm of my dish. I've had the same issue with 2 other amplified, indoor antennas as well. When I hook up the antenna to my TV (Mitsubishi WD-65731), which is with the same cables, the signal strength seems to be better and I don't lose the signal. Any ideas?
:confused:
While I haven't confirmed this in an HR20 yet, your description of fluctuation sounds like multipath distortion in the digital realm. (Ghosting picture in the ancient bygone days of analogue ;) ). Antenna positioning seems to play a very large part in elminating multipath. Aiming accurately toward the towers, putting the antenna somewhere it is less likely to get reflections of the original signal (away from metal surfaces, close to the towers rather than on the far side of an attic, etc.)

As for why HR20 is more problemattic than the TV, the Hr20 does split the signal internally so that could be just enough attenuation to give problems and/or the TV may have an internal amplifier that the HR20 does not.

Good luck,
Tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.