DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Legend
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local network HD channels(NBC/ABC/CBS) are all directly east of my house.
While the PBS HD and a couple of other rogue local HD stations are all in the
south.(roughly the 7 o'clock position)

Using AntennaWeb, I found out that they are 110 degrees apart.... My DTV
DVR is hooked up to a large directional rooftop antenna(with a pre-amp) and
it's mounted on a rotator. I just rotate the antenna, depending on which
stations I want to pick up.... but this seems silly...

What's the best solution for my situation? The DirecTV tech suggested that I
give up the HR10 and switch to HR20. This way, I can just get NBC/ABC/CBS
off DirecTV, so I can leave my rooftop antenna pointed at the local HD PBS station
all the time... :( But I'm not ready to part with the HR10s just yet....

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Passed away April 24, 2010
608 Posts
kathymoore said:
My local network HD channels(NBC/ABC/CBS) are all directly east of my house.
While the PBS HD and a couple of other rogue local HD stations are all in the
south.(roughly the 7 o'clock position)

Using AntennaWeb, I found out that they are 110 degrees apart.... My DTV
DVR is hooked up to a large directional rooftop antenna(with a pre-amp) and
it's mounted on a rotator. I just rotate the antenna, depending on which

What's the best solution for my situation? The DirecTV tech suggested that I
give up the HR10 and switch to HR20. This way, I can just get NBC/ABC/CBS
off DirecTV, so I can leave my rooftop antenna pointed at the local HD PBS station
all the time... :( But I'm not ready to part with the HR10s just yet....

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
You could also have a rotor put on the antenna and re-aim it when needed.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,411 Posts
kathymoore said:
I just rotate the antenna, depending on which
You could ask the errant stations to move their broadcast towers...

There are gizmos available that will allow you to stick in one channel (or small band of channels) into an existing cable. Depending on the frequency spead, this may or may not work for you. Think if it like putting a "pre-tuner" on your antenna.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
110 degrees is tough, but might be doable. An important consideration is how far are you from either set of towers and which HD channels are in UHF. If you are close to one set of towers (that you're really interested in) point the antenna to the other set of towers. You likely can pick up the near set even at an ugly angle.

If you are looking for OTA all in UHF, some antenna's will give you better performance from a side angle than others. Your group of people on the avsforums thread for your locale, will likely have some good input too.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Super Moderator
12,884 Posts
The first thing to try would be two antennas with the signals combined. The risk/problem could very well be multipath, resulting in poorer reception of some or all signals.

The next thing to try is a device called a Jointenna (do a google search). It allows you to combine two antennas so that each is filtered to the specific channel(s) that are in that direction, eliminating the multipath issue.

Or, just stay the way you are with the rotator. It is a solution that seems to work.

Carl

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
I had the same type of problem back in Michigan. Attached is the antenna I had. Top was ABC, bottom PBS, middle the rest. A real PITA.

Attachments

·
Legend
202 Posts
tibber said:
110 degrees is tough, but might be doable. An important consideration is how far are you from either set of towers and which HD channels are in UHF. If you are close to one set of towers (that you're really interested in) point the antenna to the other set of towers. You likely can pick up the near set even at an ugly angle.

If you are looking for OTA all in UHF, some antenna's will give you better performance from a side angle than others. Your group of people on the avsforums thread for your locale, will likely have some good input too.

Cheers,
Tom
A friend of mine is in a situation where he has three stations 44 miles away in the same area and a couple others less than 15 mi in other directions. All but the most directional antennas pick up SOME off the sides and back. Oftentimes that's enough if the "indirect" stations are much stronger and closer than what you're aiming at.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.