DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mentor
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All. I am a newbie to the website and this is one of the best fourms I have ever been to. I was just curious if someone (Earl) could explian the technical differences between the OTA tuner the HR-20's use vs ones in TV's. It seems that the TV Tuners perform better. Is it just quality or is it a technical aspect?

The reason I ask is 2 of my locals are being discovered and have signal strength, but I get the OTA searching 771 error. just curious is someone could explain if there were any MAJOR technical differences.

Thanks in advance!

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Not knowing the specifics of which tuner is in your TV... or the exact model that is in the HR20, it is hard to say what the technical difficulties.

Right now, there is no idications that it is or isn't a "technical" hardware level issue with the HR20.

The 771 error, could be as simple as the guide data says... chanle X-i maps to frequency Q... when in turn it should be frequency Z

Other's can be that the HR20s tuners are probably a lot more sensitive, and have a lower threshold for signal integrity... since with the DVR aspect of it, it want's a more stable signal.

Right now, just not known yet.

·
Mentor
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
Not knowing the specifics of which tuner is in your TV... or the exact model that is in the HR20, it is hard to say what the technical difficulties.

Right now, there is no idications that it is or isn't a "technical" hardware level issue with the HR20.

The 771 error, could be as simple as the guide data says... chanle X-i maps to frequency Q... when in turn it should be frequency Z

Other's can be that the HR20s tuners are probably a lot more sensitive, and have a lower threshold for signal integrity... since with the DVR aspect of it, it want's a more stable signal.

Right now, just not known yet.
Thanks for the response. Any suggestions on what I can do to pull thos channels in correctly? Should I just go back to my TV tuner and live with having to switch inputs?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Pizzle_Wizzle said:
Thanks for the response. Any suggestions on what I can do to pull thos channels in correctly? Should I just go back to my TV tuner and live with having to switch inputs?
Nope, because it probably nothing you CAN do on your side of the equation.
So other then posting your channels in the OTA issue thread (in the sticky section)

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Welcome, by the way!

Please post your issue here, so that the engineers can check it out:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=73643&page=7

In the meantime, you might want to split the antenna input so it goes both into your TV and HR20, and make sure that there's not an unacceptable level of signal loss.

·
AllStar
79 Posts
Pizzle_Wizzle said:
While the ota tuner is better in the HR20 vs the HR-10, I have two stations about 60 miles from me that have never been stable during the day. Today I bought a distribution/amp from radio shack for $49.95 and it solved the problem. It also increased my signal levels on all stations.. :)

·
AllStar
97 Posts
The opposite is true for me. I have a Sony SXRD and had trouble picking up my local HD channels. Once OTA was enabled, I pick them up fine now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.