DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
AllStar
Joined
·
92 Posts
We just had our local (Greensboro, NC) big 4 HD LIL's turned on this week and they look surprisingly good. I don't have a OTA to compare them with, but they are significantly better than the MPEG2 networks out of NY. I am as anxious as everyone else to get OTA for the subchannels and so I can also pull in a neighboring market (Charlotte) but I will probably change all my season passes to the MPEG4 Lil channels to save space. I have to say that so far they look really good.
 

·
Legend in his own mind...
Joined
·
324 Posts
911medic said:
I'm not sure how you could infer my statement ("I think you will be able to record 2 shows while watching a third once they're activated") as being able to record 3 shows at once. I only stated you could record 2 shows and be watching another. Is this not the case?

I know the manual erroneously states you will be able to record 3 shows at once. But once OTA is activated, won't we be able to record 2 shows in the background and be watching a separate live TV broadcast at the same time? Or is this box, equipped w/4 tuners, only capable of utilizing 2 of them at a time?
I doubt they'll do that, since one of the features of a DVR is the ability to pause and rewind live TV. There are two tuners. Those two tuners can each process an MPEG2 signal or an MPEG4 signal. Whether the data comes from the sat feed or OTA doesn't matter. It's internally switched from the source to one of the two tuners. (Maybe processors is a better word than tuners here?)

The only time you can do anything with a 'third' show is to be playing it back, prerecorded, off of the hard drive.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
148 Posts
plenty of interesting opinions and wants for the OTAs here.
The subchannel issue has been discussed but not having the HR-10 just to be clear when OTA is activated we will be able to watch and/or record all subchannels, correct? But with the mpeg 4 are you just getting the one channel?
I have an antenna and we don't have the mpeg 4s in my area anyway but just curious.
At my (PBS) station we broadcast our digital SD on the "1" channel and the HD is 24/7 on the "3". We begin next month an 24/7 education channel in SD on the "2".

Also FWIW the OTA digital SDs are still 100% better than the D* locals. Not that the D* are terrible but the OTA is clearly better. Maybe the MPEG 4 is closer in quality but if it is anything like this I would strongly recommend the OTA.
I'll be curious to see how the disk usage is affected as most of the HD we record comes from the networks.

Earl? Any significance that has been noted on file size for 720p vs 1080i?
Not expecting any- just curious.
BTW for those looking for HD programming do check out your PBS station as they are in most areas broadcasting HD 24/7 which no other "broadcaster" is doing!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,957 Posts
dwenn said:
plenty of interesting opinions and wants for the OTAs here.
The subchannel issue has been discussed but not having the HR-10 just to be clear when OTA is activated we will be able to watch and/or record all subchannels, correct? But with the mpeg 4 are you just getting the one channel?
I have an antenna and we don't have the mpeg 4s in my area anyway but just curious.
At my (PBS) station we broadcast our digital SD on the "1" channel and the HD is 24/7 on the "3". We begin next month an 24/7 education channel in SD on the "2".

Also FWIW the OTA digital SDs are still 100% better than the D* locals. Not that the D* are terrible but the OTA is clearly better. Maybe the MPEG 4 is closer in quality but if it is anything like this I would strongly recommend the OTA.
I'll be curious to see how the disk usage is affected as most of the HD we record comes from the networks.

Earl? Any significance that has been noted on file size for 720p vs 1080i?
Not expecting any- just curious.
BTW for those looking for HD programming do check out your PBS station as they are in most areas broadcasting HD 24/7 which no other "broadcaster" is doing!
All sub-channels will be there...the OTA-HD tuner in the HR20 is no different than the one in a standard TV (except it will ONLY tune the digital channels, not analog.

Your OTA-HD superiority over D* MPEG-4/HD-Locals is more typical than not at this point, and one of the several reasons we are so "whiney" about getting OTA-HD on the HR20.

PBS-HD in our area is TERRIFIC. Unbelievable video, excellent program material.

720p vs 1080i is a great question (via MPEG-4), I'll be interested to hear the explanation (not just a yes/no answer).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,957 Posts
We are having very heavy thunderstorms at the moment, with some concentrated a few miles south of this location. The southern storms are causing loss of signal on the HR20 (MSNBC). At the exact moment I'm losing signas via D*, I checked my OTA-HD channels...perfect, not a single pixel out of place, and no audio drop outs.

Notice that it is the storms to the south that are causing the signal loss, NOT local rain. It is typically not the rain right in front of the dish, or between the dish and the feedhorns, but rather the precip concentration several thousand (> 10,000 typically) feet up (and to the south) where the losses mount up. That's why I can have a terrible downpour right here at the house and not lose picture via D*, ....if I look at the radar, I notice that there is no concentration of storms to the south. The converse is also true, I can lose signal here in a light drizzle...but if I look to the south I will see the concentration of precip that is causing it.

Once you observe this phenomenon enough times and correlate it with near real time radar, you will develop a much better "feel" for and understanding of just how precip outages happen, and where the majority of signal interception by the dish is taking place.

As a side note, I was able to play a recording from last night right in the middle of the D* signal loss. I had the loss of signal indication on the HR20, but when I started the recording, I did not have the 721 error superimposed (that was corrected in the last update...good deal).
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
415 Posts
Meklos said:
There are two tuners. Those two tuners can each process an MPEG2 signal or an MPEG4 signal. Whether the data comes from the sat feed or OTA doesn't matter. It's internally switched from the source to one of the two tuners. (Maybe processors is a better word than tuners here?)
But I believe there are actually 4 tuners total in this box, 2 satellite tuners and 2 OTA (ATSC) tuners (currently disabled). This is what Earl posted in his initial review of the box.
In this pic (from Earl's review) you can see the two ATSC tuner cards and how the antenna input is split to them. The sat tuner inputs come in under that metal cage to the left of the ATSC tuner cards; I don't know if their tuners are chips on the motherboard itself or what.

So, once active, there'll be 4 tuners total, but we'll only be able to record 2 shows max at a time (despite the error in D* literature to the contrary), but due to the live buffer we won't be able to record 2 shows and watch a third live show? I was thinking we would... Seems like a waste of tuners.
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
193 Posts
One question for Earl. When the OTA feature becomes available will we be able to record 2 OTA shows at once or when recording 2 shows at once will one of them have to be SAT? Thanks.

Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,957 Posts
MrBill64 said:
One question for Earl. When the OTA feature becomes available will we be able to record 2 OTA shows at once or when recording 2 shows at once will one of them have to be SAT? Thanks.

Bill
You will be able to record 2 shows at a time, no matter what the source:

2 OTA
1 OTA, 1 SAT
2 SAT
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
193 Posts
hasan said:
You will be able to record 2 shows at a time, no matter what the source:

2 OTA
1 OTA, 1 SAT
2 SAT
Thanks. That is what I thought but just wanted to make sure. Now I just need to be patient for the upgrade which will hopefully arrive by the end of the week to make all this possible.
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
2 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
I think you mean, why wouldn't everyone use OTA instead of DirecTV supplied signal.

1- The recordings via OTA will take up about 30% more space (you only get ~30 hours of OTA recording, vs 50 hours of MPEG-4 or 200 hours of MPEG-2 SD)

2- Not everyone can receive an OTA signal

3- Some people simply don't want an antenna on their house. I got VERY lucky that I was able to get a quality signal with an attic mounted antenna... as I would be the only house probably in a 10 mile radius with an "antenna" on his roof.
My installion required removal of the old dish which had a third coax connected to a balun with a short piece of twin lead connected via spade lugs to two terminals on the back of the reflector. It pulled in broadcast stations but I rarely used it. This feature seems to be missing on the new dish, will I have to add a folded dipole eyebrow to receive OTA? Maybe somebody has a better solution...
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
151 Posts
Dom, which attic antenna are you using?

I know I've been on the forum for very long, but for the life of me, I still don't understand how Directv could have OTA functioning in the 10-250, then come out with the H20, have OTA still functioning and then release the HR20 and have it turned off. At least allow us to watch OTA channels and activate the recording issues with a future software release.
 
41 - 52 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top