DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently dropped DISH because they are in a retransmission dispute with a number of my local stations (I live in Riverton, WY, but am in the Casper DMA). I have had Directv for just Sunday ticket since 2007.

I have purchased a couple of AM21's for my HR24-100 HDDVR's. However I think since I'm in such a small market with a number of subchannels, the guide data is totally messed up. I've emailed a request to both Directv and Zap2It to see if this can get updated.

That brings me to my question. I understand the HR34 actually scans in channels off the antenna instead of using the Directv/Tribune database. Is there any way to make my HR24's function the same way as the HR34 in how they handle OTA channels?

Thanks in Advance.

Brandon

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
w2k_wizard said:
That brings me to my question. I understand the HR34 actually scans in channels off the antenna instead of using the Directv/Tribune database. Is there any way to make my HR24's function the same way as the HR34 in how they handle OTA channels?

Thanks in Advance.

Brandon
Nope. And no guarantee the HR34 will continue to scan either. If you have Windows 7, you could always get a cheap OTA tuner for it, and use Windows Media Center as a DVR for the subchannels. There are also some stand-alone DVRs that get guide data from TVGOES or the PSIP info itself (believe Channel Master makes one). A Tivo would suffer the same guide data errors as DirecTv probably.

2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. I've looked around at the other options a bit, but I will investigate a bit more. I want whatever I go with to be able to integrate with my whole home setup if possible. With Mediashare can I stream the shows off a win7 setup to my DVR's?

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
w2k_wizard said:
Thanks for the quick response. I've looked around at the other options a bit, but I will investigate a bit more. I want whatever I go with to be able to integrate with my whole home setup if possible. With Mediashare can I stream the shows off a win7 setup to my DVR's?
Yes, if you have the folder they are recorded to shared. You might need to use Tversity to transcode the files. Mediashare is pretty lame at streaming HD files. Not sure if Windows Media Center itself would offer up transcoded files to mediashare or not. I dont use mediashare at all, since its so screwed up. I use a PS3 or SageTv for my streaming.

In your looking around, check out the HDHomerun network tuners. They are excellent tuners, and can be put anywhere on your network and accessed by any other device on the network, although not directly to mediashare.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.