DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Gaithersburg, MD and have experienced the same picture breakup, only on ABC 7 (actually is WJLA in Washington, DC, Sorry for the mixup). It happened during Lost during the same times as everyone else has said. For me, this goes back to last February when I first bought the H20. The problem has obviously been ongoing for a while.

·
Legend
130 Posts
I live in Pittsburgh, PA and have seen this kind of breakup on several of the MPEG4 local HD channels (WTAE-ABC and KDKA-CBS at a minimum). So, I don't think it's isolated to just the DC locals.

·
Cool Member
17 Posts
I live in greencastle PA and receive the DC locals via DirecTv and during lost on ABC-7 had the same green picture freeze crap and audio still works. Recorded the nine right after and didn't have the issue at all.

·
Icon
1,565 Posts
jwilkens said:
This does not seem to be a problem only in the DC market - I have also seen the green breakup on Philadelphia ABC station WPVI. It does it frequently and seems to be a symetric breakup; that is, the screen breaks up in visible halves or even quarters. It only lasts for 10 seconds or so. Also get sound stuttering or motor-boating. Any Philly market people experiencing the same?
Yes, I have been experiencing the same thing with the Philadelphia MPEG4 HD local channels. Most recently this evening while watching the Dallas game on WCAU-10. Everything was fine until about 11:15 or so then pixelation and picture breakup. Checked the other MPEG4 HD local channels and saw the same thing. Seems DTV is having some major problems with the MPEG4 HD locals across the board.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
I have moved all the non-Washington ABC issues to this thread, as I really need that thread to remain JUST about the Washington ABC

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
Had some breakups last week on the Nashville CBS MPEG4 channel (WTVF) during CSI: NY. We had some weather starting to move in that night but it wasn't much. Weather was much worse Thursday and Friday and I saw no real issues that day. I think it was a station issue more so than a reception issue with rain fade.

·
Legend
200 Posts
ABC Ch 10 Sacramento the green break-up happens at least once in every episode of Dancing with the STars. I only watch it recorded - never live- so I don't know if it is a recording glitch or a transmission glitch.
That is the only one I can think of, but it may also be the only HD program I record on a regular basis.

·
Legend
200 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
I have moved all the non-Washington ABC issues to this thread, as I really need that thread to remain JUST about the Washington ABC
Wondering why Washington DC is singled out for special attention; seems like this happens all over the place.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
deebeeeff said:
Wondering why Washington DC is singled out for special attention; seems like this happens all over the place.
Because over the last 6 months... Washington-ABC has shown a very specific pattern. Where just about EVERYONE that get's the feed, has reported the same issues.

As with most of the "other" locals, some see the issues, and others don't.
At least on the posts here on this forum, and some others... there hasn't been the same pattern as the Washington one.

·
3 Posts
CBS looks terrible, pixelated and blurry especially when there is moving action on screen. CBS looks great through OTA so it is not a local network issue. The other 3 major networks look good. Anybody else in SLC having this issue?

·
DBSTalk Club Member
118 Posts
I've been watching MPEG4 locals for only a few hours now, but the Boston NBC channel 7 is really, well, "jumpy", for lack of a better word. I noticed this when watching The Tonight Show and Saturday Night Live. I can't say that this happens all the time on channel 7, or if it happens at all on the other local channels. The hi-def detail is good, but it's almost like I'm watching it at 10 frames/second or something like that. It does not do this when watching OTA 7 (on a non-HR20, of course.) Anybody else in the Boston area notice this?

·
Legend
206 Posts
I'm in the Sacramento DMA and experience this specific issue on ABC and it seems like a lot more frequently on Lost. I seem to remember it also happening with the H20 but I never tracked it and it was not as bad. Only one rain storm since May and it was a small one.

·
Legend
200 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Because over the last 6 months... Washington-ABC has shown a very specific pattern. Where just about EVERYONE that get's the feed, has reported the same issues.

As with most of the "other" locals, some see the issues, and others don't.
At least on the posts here on this forum, and some others... there hasn't been the same pattern as the Washington one.
:eek: :uglyhamme
Okay, Earl. I thought it was because the IRS was after you and you were trying to make friends. :lol:

·
Icon
886 Posts
Is there an established thread (yes, I've searched :) ) regarding picture quality on MPEG4 locals? I'm getting an oddball artifacting on mine that I've never seen before. The video appears (compared to OTA on my HR10) to be unnaturally smooth, almost film-like in quality. I'm in Austin Texas, watching CBS, ABC and Fox, the only ones available.

thanks!

Mike Nassour

·
9 Posts
I had posted some observations earlier, but the posting appears to have been deleted.

On Philadelphia ABC 6 WPVI I regularly get the green breakup noted and described in the DC area thread. It lasts for several seconds and appears identical to the pictures posted in the DC area thread. It gets recorded, so it is not a HR20 to TV problem. There is also occasional audio popping and stuttering, usually prior to the video breakup. Signal strengths appear unchanged (strong) throughout.

Philadelphia CBS (WCAU) at times has very poor picture quality. I have noticed during football games on Sunday - it appears almost as if I am watching watching film - as I perceive it. When paused, the image has excessive de-compress atrifacts and washed out areas - very poor quality. I have not noticed this on other programming. When I switch to OTA signal the quality appears much better, although of course I can not pause the OTA...yet.

Other Philadelphia locals NBC,FOX seem to be okay.

Anyone else in the Philly area noting probems, please post so we can get the attention being given to the DC area.

·
AllStar
89 Posts
jsevinsk said:
I've been watching MPEG4 locals for only a few hours now, but the Boston NBC channel 7 is really, well, "jumpy", for lack of a better word. I noticed this when watching The Tonight Show and Saturday Night Live. I can't say that this happens all the time on channel 7, or if it happens at all on the other local channels. The hi-def detail is good, but it's almost like I'm watching it at 10 frames/second or something like that. It does not do this when watching OTA 7 (on a non-HR20, of course.) Anybody else in the Boston area notice this?
This has been an issue with Ch 7 in Boston for awhile....along with Ch 4 and NESN. Basically all the 1080i channels. I don't know what's taking them so long to fix it. NESN is unwatchable in my opinion.

·
1 Posts
I live in North Central Maryland....Thurmont.

Direct TV, within the last three weeks, has really been a nightmare. I am confident that they had a manufacturer build HD-20 receivers with poor design characteristics, or substandard manufacturing, let alone minimal quality control standards.

Date: October 7, LSU vs Tulane.....ESPN College Game Plan (channel 774) About two hours into the game, the picture goes bezerk, displays a stable "vertical" prism GREEN array of lines and no audio. I try to change channels, and the remote is not effective. The TV remains on, but a hosed-up picture and no audio with no remote response. So, I try to push the power on-off button on the receiver but it is totally non-responsive.

I hit the "red reset button" and it (the H20 receiver) resets (3 minutes of lost viewing time) and LSU has the ball on their own 20 and when the picture goes out, they are on the Tulane 10 yard line about to score when the picture is re-acquired. Everything is cool....until 20 minutes later.

It happened another four of five times.

I gave the scenario the benefit of the doubt, cause it was raining......and then, Sunday, October the 22, I and a neighbor were watching the Colts vs Redskins game when....boom! Same thing! The HD channel displayed a "vertical" GREEN color line arrangement as Indy was about to score. I had to reset the receiver (AGAIN).

Then, Wednesday, October 25, we were enjoying "LOST" on the ABC HD channel, and "BOOM", vertical lines with no audio so my wife screamed switch to the regular non-HD channel and we did, but we missed a minute or so of the show's dialogue/conversation.

The next commercial we switched back to the HD channel....and after about five minutes, boom. Yes, AGAIN! ARGGGGGHHHH!

I called Direct TV at 10:20 P.M on the 25th and they had me unplug my converter and wait fifteen seconds to see if this reset MAY fix this ongoing problem. ( I will not repeat what I wanted to tell then about this theory, but I played the "help me to help you" process....) The Direct Tech Help person next had me check the H20receiver picture settings. There are four options....480, 640 840 and 1080i. Mine was set to the "lowest" resolution, i.e., 480. He had me select 640, and it worked and the 840 and it worked and then 1080i and the HD picture was enhanced! Now this is the receiver settings, not the TVs settings.

Now, the Direct TV Tech Support did NOT guarantee me that this was the fix, however, only a troubleshooting attempt to resolve my issues as reported.

Drum Roll please:

Sunday October 29, 2006. I was enjoying the Atlanta Falcons vs Cincinnati Bengals game for nearly and hour and half when BOOM....no picture and the identical issue as stated above occurred six times!

I was livid!

I called Direct TV and DEMANDED a replacement Receiver Overnight as I am not a Beta User and I am tired of playing "troubleshooter" when I am paying monthly to enjoy my programming. They wanted me to unplug the receiver and wait fifteen seconds, and I refused. I told them they had a record of my issues, they had been troubleshot four nights before, and I want my stuff fixed....and fixed now. I asked, "what will unplugging the receiver do? It doesn't matter, I am supposed to be able to sit down, and watch my programming uninterrupted by "systemic" shortfalls, or design flows or poor quality verification of products.

I was curt, (no foul language or shouting, but a heighten pitch in my speech, kinda like Jim Beluschi when he says, "Cheryl!, What do ya mean I'm home late"!) Know what I mean?

Anyway, they are sending me a replacement remote AND receiver and they have waived the costs even though my ninety-day warranty has expired.

My co-worker has experienced a similar issue...Direct Replaced his H20 and now he is seeing the GREEN screen as reported. He lives in Stafford VA.

A note worth sharing....my brother-in-law in Wisconsin purchased the TIVO HD Recorder unit and has HDMI connections and HAD all kinds of problems....however, he switched to "component" connections an has had NO problems for a month now. Food for thought.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
mnassour said:
Is there an established thread (yes, I've searched :) ) regarding picture quality on MPEG4 locals? I'm getting an oddball artifacting on mine that I've never seen before. The video appears (compared to OTA on my HR10) to be unnaturally smooth, almost film-like in quality. I'm in Austin Texas, watching CBS, ABC and Fox, the only ones available.

thanks!

Mike Nassour
No, not really.
As again, is very local specific....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.